Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vbeam in San Francisco?

Default Vbeam in San Francisco?

Can anyone suggest an experienced Vbeam doctor in San Fran or at least the surrounding Bay Area. I am having a bit of a hard time finding one.

Thanx
    Terry

Default Vbeam in San Francisco

I recommend Dr. Kathleen Welsh for vbeam in SF. First, she has the newest vbeam "Perfecta" machine, which delivers a lot more energy, but without the normal bruising of the regular vbeam. Second, according to Candela, she was one of the first laser docs in SF to get the new Perfecta, so she has the most experience with this newer machine. I have only had one treatment with her so far, but she was extremely professional, not to mention kind and caring. I intend to return for more treatments.

Dr. Welsh's info is on her website - http://www.weloveskin.com/index.html

Another option for vbeam is Dr. Roy Grekin at UCSF. UCSF has the older vbeam and is planning to purchase the Perfecta, although they are slow to purchase due to the rigors of university purchasing procedures.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your treatments.
    Meg

Terry,
    I remember Dr. Crouch recommending Dr. Christine Lee for laser when I was looking for someone good. He had heard her lecture I believe or something like that. Sorry, I am fuzzy on the details as this happened when I was first diagnosed.

She is in private practice in Walnut Creek and teaches the dermatology residents at the University of California in San Francisco.
    http://www.eastbaylaser.com/Site/About%20Dr.%20Lee.html

and

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=12519

Best wishes,
    Melissa

thanks very much. Do you know how much she charges per session?

Terry

Terry, on p2 of the thread I gave you the link for it says
    Consultation: $85.00 (applied to any subsequent treatment)
    Treatment: $750.00
    Steve called the office and inquired as to the fees and this is what they told him.

Best of luck!
    Melissa

Dr. Welsh is much less expensive. My treatment was $450 for the entire face and ears, but that may have included the consulation cost.

I beleive, on average, the cost is $350, but to be certain, you should call her office and ask.

UCSF was a lot more. I submit my bills to insurance and have, in the past, been reimbursed for all of my IPL txs. I have new insurance, but will fight for reimbursement as well becuase I am not having the txs for cosmetic purposes.

Best of luck,
    Meg

Thanks Meg..that is positive news regarding the price and insurance. I am new to the whole insurance thing coming from the UK....do you get your dermatologist to confirm that the treatment is for a non-cosmetic procedure?

Terry

Hi Terry,
    In the beginning, I appealed the insurance company and proved that my case was medical, not cosmetic. At that time, my dr was not involved, although after my approval, he did take over billing the insurance company for me.

With Dr. Welsh, since it was my first appt and my insurance had just changed, I paid the bill, but she agreed to bill my insurance. However, I expect to be turned down and will appeal like I did many years ago. My case is severe and painful facial flushing, much like Erythromelalga, so much so that I am disabled. I find the laser txs do help with my pain and that is the approach I take on insurance.

Regardless, I think Dr. Welsh is very good (I've been to many derms and laser drs!), her price is extremely reasonable, and the Perfecta is the best vbeam, since it does not leave purpura, like the older, traditional vbeam does.

Meg

I really hope so, because I have had 12 IPLs with Dr Patterson in the UK and at the Bitter clinic in SF, and after a few years my redness has returned completely, so I effectively wasted thousands of dollars.

Did she use the pulse stacking method for you? I am reading up on the candela website that that approach seems most effective.

Terry

I'm not sure about pulse stacking - you'll need to ask her. Plus, what works fro one, may not be appropriate for someone else. I've also had many IPL txs with Dr. Bitter Sr. I don't think IPL or laser are cures, but rather treamtents that help. So, I don't see it as wasted money. Some people get better results than others, depending on the cause of their problem. My cause is neurological and therefore, laser will never be a cure. Still, it helps with the overal redness and pain, so for me, it's worht the cost. Obviously, that is somehting you will need to assess for yourself. But, if you are looking for a cure, then IPL and laser are not the answer.

Meg