Thread: New To This Forum

Smile New To This Forum

First let me say that I'm glad there is a forum for this topic. I've been doing a lot of research on this subject since my Rosacea has broken out severely over the last couple of days. I haven't been diagnosed with Rosacea but viewing pictures of others, reading about the symptoms, etc,,,I know that I have it. I've had it since the last few months of 2005 off and on. After doing experiments on myself, I came to the conclusion that I cannot have any food or drink with caffeine. So no more coffee or soft drinks. Now I've read today that yogurt, bananas and tomatoes are included in the food group that can trgger an outbreak. Okay...so I've been on a diet that includes yogurt and the digestive drink DanActive, eating fruits such as bananas and eating plenty of veggies such as tomatoes! All sausage is included in this as well...and guess what? I've had all of these in the past week. I've had a few bad breakouts before but you should see me today...wow! I can't even put makeup on because my skin burns and itches like crazy. I found a dermatologist this morning and made an appointment to see him this coming Friday. Oh how I hope he can help me. I've thought over my family and have never seen anyone with this problem at all. Not one of my immediate or extended family has this...only me. Figures. I am a 49 year old woman that is faired skinned. My fiance' brought home a topical ointment called "Prosacea"..,it's a gel. I've used it since he brought it home to me on Friday but it seems to be doing more harm than good. With the Metrogel that I've heard about does anyone here use it and did it make things worse before it got better? Or should I just stop using this unitl I see the doctor on Friday? Any input would be most appreciated.

Hi Let1959 and welcome to the Forum.

This can be a frustrating disease for sure but you just need a methodical way to gain some control.
    First of all just because some people may not be able to tolerate bananas and yogurt for example does not mean that will definitely be a problem for you. You might want to consider allergy testing to get a handle on this issue.

As far as topicals go you shoild only try one new thing at a time and do a patch test with each new product just to make sure you have no adverse reaction. What is your skin type? Dry, normal or oily? Metrgel is best for oily skin and metrolotion for dry. Metrocream is b/w the 2. Some people like myself are basically unable to tolerate any topicals whatsoever and in that case there are other alternatives.
    Check out this link as you may find it helpful.
    http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Finding what works will take some trial and error on your part so be patient and again, one new thing at a time so you can tell what's helping and what's not.

Good luck at your doctor appt on Friday!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thank you Melissa for replying to my post. I am so frustrated at this point. I've never gotten this bad before. Well maybe once but not this bad and it went away in 2 days. This time it's been hanging around for almost 4 days. I want to peel my skin off so it will stop itching and burning. This is just awful.

To answer your question I have dry skin and have been using a moisturizer for sensitive skin and is without fragrance. It also has a sunscreen of 15 I believe and it doesn't irritate my skin. So that's a good thing. The only good thing so far.

I empathize and hopefully your appt friday will go well. You might want to go an a low dose antibiotic like Oracea to calm things down. Continue treating your face gently and you might want to take an antihistamine to see if that helps calm things down.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Melissa

You could try taking an antihistamine tablet for a few days to see if that helps. When my skin is bad I take an antihistamine tablet.

That link that melissa gave you is very good starting point.

Sarah, I learn from the best...I got that link from you