Thread: SD in eyebrows

Default SD in eyebrows

I have been reading all the SD threads and realize that this is what I have had going on for years. I have battled dandruff on my scalp for a long time. The only thing I could use was Head and Shoulders, now I have been using the Selsum Blue. However, from time to time, I get a lot of noticable flakiness, itchyness, and redness of the my eyebrows, sometimes to the point of an open scab like area. I have thought about using a hyrdocortisone cream, but am scared to because of my rosacea. Does anybody use steroid cream just on thier brows for this? I am so self conscious because thats all I see in the mirror is flaky eyebrows, rosy and/or dry cheeks, and rashes on my hairline because all styling products affect my scalp. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Current Regimen:
    Wash 2xdaily: AM water only, PM Clinique Mild Bar
    Metrogel 1-2x daily
    Xeridian Sunguard Complex (moisturizer)
    Jojoba Oil

Retired Moderator

Hey,
    I will post an answer because I am here but you will find that J-mill and others have a lot of info on seb-derm as well.
    On top of that, my seb-derm is a relatively new (though not a welcome) development.
    That said, my derm recommended short term use of hydrocortisone on a flare. I know there will be many people that feel differently and I am not totally sure how much I agree with him, but the use of a lo-potency hydrocortisone cream for a few days here and there for a flare of the seb-derm in just your eyebrow region, would, in my opinion, not do harm at least on me.
    However, there are people that use elidel, xolegel, etc. So, you may want to investigate the alternatives but again I personally don't think that infrequent use of a 1% or 2.5% non-flourinated hydrocortisone cream in that specific area to get you over a flare is the end of the world. J-mill is a very good resource and you could PM him if he doesn't see this thread. I believe he uses 1% almost daily at the present time.
    Best,
    Rob

Default Seb Derm, Rosacea, Hydrocortisone

Yeah, I say if it is that itchy and inflamed go ahead and use some hydrocortisone lotion on it (if you can get the lotion that is an emollient base so much the better, it has no alcohol, not sure what it is called anywhere but Canada, here it is sold under the trade name Emocort). I have tried just about every topical treatment for seb derm and weak hydrocortisone lotion still works better then the rest of them put together. Some people have luck with Elidel or Protopic the topical immunomodulators, I didn't, but they also be worth a try but the reports respecting their impact on Rosacea are just as jumbled as those for weak hydrocortisone.

I have both moderate Rosacea and bad Seb Derm and pretty much daily use of Hydrocortisone is the only thing I have found that keeps my skin calm. Most people however can knock the Seb Derm back with a week or 2 of Hydrocortisone use. The Hydrocortisone has not caused by Rosacea to get any worse at this stage, but if there was another option I would use it.

I would use some 1% hydrocortisone on it, 2x a day for a week, and then 1x a day for a week, and then 1x every second day for a week and then stop. The reason for the tapering is so prevent a rebound flare.

Good luck, if it makes you feel any better I did substantial research on hydrocortisone lotion before applying it regularly, in part because I became paranoid about using any steroid from reading posts on boards blaming it for everything from severe steroid dermatitis to cancer. In the end studies show it to be a very safe treatment. There are atopics (people with bad allergies) that use it daily on their face for years and studies have shown no significant skin thinning or reduction in collagen synthesis. A baby's skin which is 10x thinner then an adults' has not been harmed from daily use of 1% hydrocortiosne for over a year in several studies. There are reports claiming steroid dermatitis or steroid Rosacea from using it, but not a single study confirming it. In many cases where someone has a negative skin reaction to hydrocortisone they actually are having an irritant or allergic contact reaction to something in the base of the lotion/cream (you wouldn't believe the crap companies put in the base of their medications, which is why I suggest you look for the lotion in the emollient base, quite soothing). In fact the only case study of badly thinned skin from 1% hydrocortisone I could find was a women who used it 3x a day for 11 years on her eyelid (the thinnest skin on the body to begin with).

In the end, itching like crazy will cause significant stress which is more likely to harm your Rosacea and cause other problems (I developed headaches form itching like crazy).

Good luck, any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the good info! I am going to look that various HC products and see if I can find one with an emollient base as you recommend. As most of us with rosacea, I analyze the ingredients list carefully!

Thanks again!

I also have Seb Derm in the eyebrows and the scalp. I have posted on this board what works for me with minimizing seb dermatitis.. and believe me ive tried all the lotions and potions out there. It involves mixing head & shoulders, organic apple cider vineger, tea tree oil, and water...

Here is a link to the thread which if you try it out please reply to:
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=12600

/polster

1% Hydrocortisone works on my eyebrows somewhat but it takes a few days for the flare to subside and then if I stop using the hydrocortisone it'll come back within a few days. After several months of frustration with this back-and-forth fight, I decided to use a very small amount of Clobex solution on my eyebrows. Just a dab of clobex on the tip of a q-tip, and then a gentle rub of the eyebrows. I did this once, a couple months ago, and the SD was gone for a good month. Then it crept back just a little bit, so I immediately zapped it again with the clobex as soon as I noticed it. It hasn't been back (on my eyebrows) since then (knock on wood).

Clobex is a superpotent steroid, so use on the face (and particularly near the eyes) isn't a good idea. I figured it was better and safer to use one dose of clobex in such a tiny amount than to perpetually be using a lower potency steroid everyday. I was just sure to keep it away from my eyes and used extra sparingly. I'm thrilled with the results so far.

As for the sides of my nose, I'm not so thrilled with the back and forth fight I have from using 1% HC, but there's no way I'm gonna use clobex on my face.

Default Seb Derm

Yeah it bears noting that steroids like Clobex are sometimes used on the face, but never for longer than a period of 2 weeks. It is 1800 x more potent than hydrocortisone, but if you read academic texts on dermatology the classic approach to treating seb derm sometimes involves SHORT term use of potent steroids to try and obtain remission if weak steroids fail. The idea is that overall it might reduce a patients exposure to steroids overall.

This would be a decision that would have to be carefully guided by a knowledgeable derm. and only if you felt comfortable.

Wow - I could not disagree more about using anything more powerful the hydrocortizone on the face - even for just 2 weeks -especially something that much more powerful.

I had used hydrocortizone for a good 30+ years on the face with no problem.
    Then after getting a particularly bad breakout decided to use "fluocinonide"
    a more powerful steroid than hydrocortizone which my dermatologist had given me to apply to my leg only. It seemed to help a lot within a day or two and then I quit using it.

About a year later, tried the same thing again and again only using it for a few days
    and I think that's what actually kicked in the new telengiestacias.

It's your decision - but hope anyone else is more cautious than I was.
    man_from_mars