Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur cleansers

Default Sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur cleansers

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of the many sodium sulfacetamide or sulfur cleansers on the market for Rosacea, Acne, and Seb Derm. I was given a bottle of Plexion cleanser (sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5%) last month and am wondering if I should give it a chance if I moisturize thoroughly afterwards (it seems to be drying). Thanks!

My derm prescribed Clenia for me. I thought it was working really well the first couple of weeks- my skin was very smooth and soft. Over the past week, though, my skin has become very rough and irritated. I don't know if I'm having a reaction to the sulphur or the fragrance in the product, but I think I need to cut back on it. I do think it can help, if you can handle the ingredients.

Good luck!

~J

Sulfur is supposed to be good for p&p, and using both sulfur medication and Metrocream/Noritate has been shown to reduce redness (erythema) over a period of weeks. A sulfur based cleanser was somewhat less effective, but still seemed to help many.

However, not everyone will see improvements, and some of us just can't tolerate sulfur. I found that it was not just drying and irritating, but I actually got wee little pustules within a couple of days of using it.

So try it conservatively. Treat your face very gently, washing with the cleanser only at night, rinsing thoroughly. Use a very mild cleanser or just water in the morning. If you're not irritated after a few weeks, but not getting great results, ask your doctor for a topical medication that can stay on your skin first for a few hours in the evening, then overnight.

Good luck!

I just looked online and found a product called Rosanil that is a fragranc free form of sulfacetamide/sulfur cleanser. If you haven't gotten your other one yet, maybe you can ask your derm for this one. Maybe it would be gentler on the skin since it doesn't have fragrance?

It also recommends using Metrogel/cream in addition to it.

I'm going to ask my derm if I can try it out.

Good luck!

~J

www.rosanil.com

This user has been banned from this forum

how many times a week are you suppose to use for maintenance for seb?

also can it help with thirty seconds contact

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    how many times a week are you suppose to use for maintenance for seb?

also can it help with thirty seconds contact
    I only leave it onl for about 20 seconds. The first couple weeks I used it it was great. I think I am too sensitive to either the sulfur or the fragrance ingredient in it. I have had some facial swelling lately and I don't know if it's from the sulfur, the fragrance, or something else entirely. I'm also not as clear as I was before.

My derm had told me to go from twice a day to once, once I achieved where I wanted to be, then keep dropping a use until I got to a good maintenance level.

Hope it works for you!

I use and love Rosula cleanser. It has the same active ingredients as the other cleansers talked about above in a lotion base. It also adds 10% Urea for some extra moisturizing. It has truly helped keep my seb derm under control.

This user has been banned from this forum

does sulfacetamide have an anti-inflammatory effect , in addition to killing bacteria

I've had good success with Rosanil. It kind of irritated my skin the first time I used it, so I only use it at night. For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me at night. Maybe it's just because I go to sleep, and don't notice it, but it doesn't seem to have a negative effect when I get up in the morning.

I use Plexion and found that using it 3 times a week (or so) doesn't dry my skin. I used it every day at first and my skin did dry out a bit.