Thread: Seb derm symptoms vs rosacea

Default Seb derm symptoms vs rosacea

I've been doing a lot of reading about rosacea and am curious about something. Can a flush last 3 or 4 days and then go away? Or does it usually come and go within minutes or hours? How about seborrheic dermatitis? Does this come and go with the same frequency as rosacea? I have been told by two different dermatologists that I have rosacea and another thought it was seborrheic dermatitis. I'm having a real difficult time distinguishing between the two.

Thank you!

Hi Vienna,

Sorry to hear you've having a bad time with this. It is very difficult to tell the difference between seb. derm. and rosacea, and it's not helped when doctors/dermatologists sometimes seem to have an either/or attitude. As you'll see on this forum, the two often co-exist.

Rosacea flushes can last for varying periods of time, and often last longer as the condition progresses. I've personally never had an actual flush last for days - hours, yes, but they do calm overnight - but that doesn't mean it's not possible. I am sometimes much redder for several days at a time, though, when I'm flaring up. Seb. derm. can come and go as well. And they often flare at the same time, which makes things even more confusing.

Getting the seb.derm. under control seems to help many people with their rosacea symptoms too. Different things work for different people, and there are lots of interesting threads here for you to read. Some people have had success using soaps/shampoos containing zinc pyrithone. Anti-fungal creams used to work brilliantly for me on my seb.derm. - they'd get rid of it immediately and it didn't return for years - but I can't tolerate them anymore as my skin's become hypersensitive. Have you tried any of these - things like miconazole and ketaconazole? They don't work for everyone but, if they do, would be a better way of controlling the seb.derm. than steroid creams, which of course aren't recommended for rosacea.

Good luck - hope you find something that helps,

Kristina

Quote Originally Posted by kristina b View Post
    Hi Vienna,

Sorry to hear you've having a bad time with this. It is very difficult to tell the difference between seb. derm. and rosacea, and it's not helped when doctors/dermatologists sometimes seem to have an either/or attitude. As you'll see on this forum, the two often co-exist.

Rosacea flushes can last for varying periods of time, and often last longer as the condition progresses. I've personally never had an actual flush last for days - hours, yes, but they do calm overnight - but that doesn't mean it's not possible. I am sometimes much redder for several days at a time, though, when I'm flaring up. Seb. derm. can come and go as well. And they often flare at the same time, which makes things even more confusing.

Getting the seb.derm. under control seems to help many people with their rosacea symptoms too. Different things work for different people, and there are lots of interesting threads here for you to read. Some people have had success using soaps/shampoos containing zinc pyrithone. Anti-fungal creams used to work brilliantly for me on my seb.derm. - they'd get rid of it immediately and it didn't return for years - but I can't tolerate them anymore as my skin's become hypersensitive. Have you tried any of these - things like miconazole and ketaconazole? They don't work for everyone but, if they do, would be a better way of controlling the seb.derm. than steroid creams, which of course aren't recommended for rosacea.

Good luck - hope you find something that helps,

Kristina

Thank you for your recommendations. The doctor who told me I had seborrheic dermatitis is in another city and unfortunately at that time my face wasn't that bad so he couldn't really see how horrible it looks and told me that the shampoo Nizoral would control it.
    The other doctor that has told me it was first atopic derm, psoriasis and completely dismissed the seb derm diagnosis told me that it's rosacea now. I had asked him if it was worth trying an anti-fungal instead of going straight to the antibiotic and he gave me a firm NO! I really am not a fan of him. I'm going to plan a trip to my GP, who is fantastic and I know he will prescribe me an anti-fungal. Can you buy something like that over the counter though? Has anyone ever tried Monistat cream? It contains miconazole.

Thanks again

Hi Vienna,

You can buy anti-fungals over the counter in the UK - I don't know about anywhere else. The miconazole that I used to use had the brand name daktarin, and the ketaconazole was sold as daktarin gold. As with anything else, try a small amount first just in case you can't tolerate them. I don't think they work for everyone with seb.derm., so even if you don't get results with these, it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't got some seb.derm. as well as rosacea.

Good luck!

Kristina

Hi again,

Just thought, ketoconazole is the active ingredient in nizoral shampoo, so if washing with that didn't work for you, it might be a better idea to try the miconazole cream.

Kristina

Quote Originally Posted by kristina b View Post
    Hi Vienna,

You can buy anti-fungals over the counter in the UK - I don't know about anywhere else. The miconazole that I used to use had the brand name daktarin, and the ketaconazole was sold as daktarin gold. As with anything else, try a small amount first just in case you can't tolerate them. I don't think they work for everyone with seb.derm., so even if you don't get results with these, it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't got some seb.derm. as well as rosacea.

Good luck!

Kristina
    Thank you SO MUCH Kristina! I live in Europe half of the year and the other half in Canada. Oddly enough, whenever I am in Europe (Switzerland) I don't have this condition at all. The doctor doesn't understand why that would be, but it is true. If I can't get a doctor to prescribe one here in Canada, I go to Europe in May so I'll pick some up. I'll try anything at this point. You've been very helpful, thanks again.

Things such as the level of water hardness can have an affect or even the humidity of the air. Is the water in one country alot softer than the other?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Things such as the level of water hardness can have an affect or even the humidity of the air. Is the water in one country alot softer than the other?
    That is an excellent point. I know that in Canada I'm at sea level, in Switzerland, it's about 375m above sea level. As far as water softness, not sure, definitely worth looking into though. Would these two factor apply to rosacea or seb derm?
    Thank you