Thread: KTP 532 Can Permanently Destroy Skin Pigment?

Default KTP 532 Can Permanently Destroy Skin Pigment?

Hi

I have just been reading the question and answer that Dr Crouch did and in one answer he says that the KTP 532 can be used for very diffuse redness but you have to use extreme caution with certain skin types as this wavelength can permanently destroy skin pigment.

I have just had a treatment with the Laserscope Gemini KTP 532, mainly as a top up treatment to 5 ipl treatments I got in 2005, however I am booked in for another and this worried me slightly can anyone expand on it for me? I'd say i have skin type II. Whilst the Dr that did the treatments never mentioned using the ND Yag 1064 would this be better?

Cheers

Haz

I imagine Dr C was talking about those with dark skin tones as the lasers work by selectively destroying colour. The KTP is good for surface redness whilst the yag is better to help with deeper flushing so I guess it depends on what your issue is.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I have previously had 5 ipl which really brought things into line, however in recent times I have been flushing more, skins went hyper sensitive again and some surface redness, so I thought maybe 1 or 2 treatments would just bring things back to a level i can manage. My ipl were done in Belfast at a Woodford Medical clinic and involved a flight so I wanted somewhere closer to home. I eventually decided on the treatment with the Gemini however after reading many previous posts I am realising that I maybe should ask the Dr about being treated with the 1064 yag rather than the KTP 532, though he has never mentioned using the 1064 yag for facial treatments, I think he uses it for leg veins etc. I have another treatment booked with him but think I may try and see him before this and ask about a treatment with the 1064 yag, the treatment appointment is booked for a fortnight prior to a wedding I am attending is this enough time for everything to settle down? What sort of energy should I be looking at him using for the 1064?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Haz

Haz

I'm no laser expert and so please don't take my word for it.

Yags, like most lasers, I think have different heads. Perhaps he hasn't got the right head to treat facial veins? I would email now and ask him about it.

With regards levels then have a look at this thread:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=11061

You need to be careful when comparing levels as different machines may not correlate.

Hi

Many thanks for the link, the information has given me a reference point when I speak to the Dr about being treated with the 1064. The machine he has is the Laserscope Gemini, the treatment I had with it was with the KTP 532, 7 or 8 J/cm2 and he first treated the small visable veins (tho I don't have many because of the ipl) individually then he used the painting mode to treat the whole face, afterwards it was red but this went down okay and very slight swelling, he did say for the next treatment he would up the J/cm2 slightly if my reaction was okay to that treatment. He does have the yag 1064 because on the website it talks about having both and using them depending on what is being treated, it may be that his clients have been happy with results using the KTP 532. I'm going to phone on Monday and see if I can pop in and see him on Tuesday afternoon. Can I ask how you found the treatment with the yag 1064, I found the ipl very uncomfortable and was pleasantly surprised with the KTP 532 which was nothing compared to the ipl. How is your skin now?

Many thanks for your time.

Haz

Yag is a lot less painful than IPL as well. ot much downtime just increased flushiness (is that a word) for a few weeks.

I have found the yag great for reducing sensitivity, pain with flushing and also reducing the intensity and duration of a flush.

My skin is doing okay, I have recently been having yag and n-light combined (for seb derm) and have found this really useful. For me laser will be an ongoing treatment regime but I hope I can get it down to once every six months to a year.

I'm not sure that flushiness is a word tho it should be cause I know exactly what you mean! lol

Thats good that you feel your skin is improving, I hope it continues. Also good is that you found the yag good for skin sensitivity (I'm back to using only distilled water on it - total pain), and flushing as these two are the main reasons for me seeking more treatment, a big plus is that it ain't as painful as ipl. I am feeling very positive about the yag now and looking forward to speaking to the Dr, mind he's a GP so probably have to wait 3 weeks! lol

Thanks again

Haz