Thread: Nizoral and reduced sebum/oil production:

Retired Moderator

Default Nizoral and reduced sebum/oil production:

After researching my seb derm I of course came upon Nizoral and its active ingredient which is ketoconazole. In the few studies I could find, it did have a positive effect on actually reducing oil/sebum on the scalp. The active ingredient in Head and Shoulders or the Born to be Mild Dermadoctor cleanser, zinc pyrithione, apparently increased sebum production. Albeit the decrease was relatively small and the increase was relatively small, I definitely concerned about anything that makes my face MORE oily than it already is.
    So assuming it would have the same effects on the face as it does on the scalp, my question is what are the thoughts of the seb-derm/rosacea club on this? If seborrhea (oily skin) predisposes one to seb derm, isn't the increased sebum production hurting just as the zinc is helping?
    I am sorry I can't articulate this well enough but if anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.
    Here is one of the sutdies: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/nizoral1study.cfm
    Thanks,
    Rob

Default Seb Derm and Sebum

I don't think sebum production has a ton to do with seb derm myself. People with very dry skin (like myself) get seb derm and the overwhelming majority of people with oily skin do not get seb derm. The theory on sebum as I understand it is that the more you produce the more a yeast thought to be involved in seb derm, the M. Furfur has to "feast on" (it literally dines on your sebum) which leaves behind these sticky skin cells that cause the flaking and inflammation. Increased sebum however would not cause someone to get seb derm, in fact the overwhelming majority of people with oily skin do not get seb derm. Like most dermatitis seb derm is almost certainly an immune system malfunction.

Ketoconazole supposedly assists seb derm by inhibiting the growth of the M. Furfur yeast and it aklso has an anti-inflmmatory effect. P. Zinc is supposed to assist by nomalizing skin turnover rates which are thrown off balanace by the inflammation caused by seb derm.

The only way to really know if a treatment will work is to try it. Thoeries aside no one really knows what causes seb derm and no one treatment works for everyone. If you want to test the theory that you may have too much M. Furfur yeast get your doctor to prescribe you oral itraconazole for 5-7 days, it supposedly assists greatly, see: http://rosacea-support.org/treating-...itis-with.html

Seb derm is inflammation causes by the body's abnormal immune system response, not necessarily because there is more yeast there. However more sebum means the yeast grows/multiplies quicker, thus causing more inflammation. Sebum production is controlled by the adrenal glands, which are I believe are hormone influences.
    My sebum production is through the roof and my seb derm / rosacea keeps progressing. I don't want to, but I think I'm gonna have to try low dose accutane under careful supervision by my GP. If I can get the sebum levels down I think my other symptoms might improve.

Retired Moderator

Hey guys I appreciate the responses. I am inclined to believe the correlation between seborrhea or oily skin and seb derm for one reason and one reason only. I have never had oily skin until about a year ago when my oil production went through the roof (and I am 39 now). Since that moment in time when whatever was/is happening in my body turned the oil flood gates open, I have gotten acne (definitely not P &P's- this is just good old fashion zits- whitheads and blackheads) and now, about a year later, the seb derm flare. Then again, if you are strictly referring to a cause and affect relationship, I have had several laser treatments in the last year and I started on low dose accutane as well. So, I guess by that line of thought I could blame lasers or accutane.
    Be that as it may, I am leaning towards the oily skin as the most logical culprit. Regardless of the cause, my alternatives are only to forego anymore v-beam treatments or quit the lo-dose accutane to see what the results are.
    Barring those two options, I am concerned about anything that would theoretically increase the production of oil as the low dose of accutane I am currenly on only curbs the oil somewhat, but in no way has stopped it. All that said, if J-mill you have seb-derm with very dry skin, I guess I am just well and truly screwed. However, in lieu of good old fashioned normal skin, I think I would take dry skin with seb derm rather than the oily mess I am currently enjoying (albeit that while the tane did not stop the oil flow, it stopped the acne).
    All that said, I am going to think about the xolegel as a possibility. What the heck do I have to lose by trying it.
    Thanks for the input.
    Rob

boyandhisdog, if your skin is not particularly sensitive, I would recommend extina over xolegel. It is a foam vehicle rather than a gel. I had more luck with the cream ketoconazole than I did with the gel form. although everyone is different, and what works for some may not work for others and vice versa, I found the xolegel to be very messy and sticky. When I think "gel", I think of something entirely different from what comes out of the xolegel tube.... I would say that xolegel is closer to glue or something than to gel. It is really thick, and hard to spread evenly. Unless you are applying only a microscopic bit, it remains visible on the skin after use, so it can only really be used at night, IMO. I didnt like the stuff. If youre curious about the extina, I just made another post about my experience with it in these forums, check it out.

BTW, what were you getting vbeam treatments for? Acne? My dermatologist told me vbeam wont work for seb derm.

good luck!

Retired Moderator

Thanks for the bit of advice in reference to the gel. I think I've read your previous posts about the gel, but I still got a laugh out of your reference to "glue". Like the rubber cement maybe from when I was a kid?
    Anyway, I appreciate the advice and will give the Extina a try instead.
    The v-beam I had/have are for the visible veins on my nose and cheeks. I haven't had a treatment since December which was before the seb derm started so I am now a little concerned about more v-beam.
    In the last few days, I don't know if I have become better at controlling the seb derm with a combination of cleansers, scrubs, etc., or I am just experiencing a little waning of the flaking. I haven't had it long enough to get a good idea of how my skin reacts to things. That said, over the last couple of days, it has seemed to be much milder. Hopefully I am doing something right and it is not just the natural course of seb derm as I understand their are periods of worsening and lessening symptoms.
    Thanks for the input,
    Rob

Hi Rob,
    VBeam may actually help your seb derm.
    Here's a thread that you may find interesting:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=13155

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Thanks for the bit of advice in reference to the gel. I think I've read your previous posts about the gel, but I still got a laugh out of your reference to "glue". Like the rubber cement maybe from when I was a kid?
    Anyway, I appreciate the advice and will give the Extina a try instead.
    The v-beam I had/have are for the visible veins on my nose and cheeks. I haven't had a treatment since December which was before the seb derm started so I am now a little concerned about more v-beam.
    In the last few days, I don't know if I have become better at controlling the seb derm with a combination of cleansers, scrubs, etc., or I am just experiencing a little waning of the flaking. I haven't had it long enough to get a good idea of how my skin reacts to things. That said, over the last couple of days, it has seemed to be much milder. Hopefully I am doing something right and it is not just the natural course of seb derm as I understand their are periods of worsening and lessening symptoms.
    Thanks for the input,
    Rob
    its funny you should mention rubber cement, because i'd say thats about as good of a comparison as I can think of. Its really nasty stuff. Both the gel and the foam are alcohol based, though... so just keep in mind it may irritate your skin (it took a few days for my skin to adjust) if you have particularly sensitive skin.. or rosacea. I dont think I have rosacea, so it has worked well for me.

As far as your fears of VBeam with seb derm, I wouldnt worry. Some people think lasers can help seb derm. My dermatologist disagrees, but she said she is sure it wouldnt hurt it. I had my sebderm areas treated because I have veins in the same area, and I have since experienced less redness in the area after only one treatment. I will get a few more in the next year or so. Its hard to say whether it really helped the sebderm or if it just got rid of some of the veins which were exacerbating the redness on my face. Either way, it certainly didnt hurt.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Retired Moderator

Thanks for the advice and to Melissa for the link.
    I will keep you posted. Have next appt. for V-beam on 4/17 but may cancel as I always get purpuric levels. That said I just found out there is a reception for a building we built on that night so while I and my wife usually tough it out when I walk around with the purple spots, I don't think a group of a hundred or so people, clients, and construction people is the forum for me to give a dissertation on rosacea, laser treatments, etc. So, it looks like it will be pushed back to May. Regardless, I will let you know!
    Thanks again.
    Best,
    Rob