Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeup and Sunscreen questions

Default Makeup and Sunscreen questions

My Rosacea is pretty new, so since I've been able to just hide out in the house lately, I have no idea how to cover it up makeup-wise. My mom wants to take the family to Disney World in a week, so I'm wondering what makeup and sunscreen tips anyone has? I'm 17 and have really oily, sensitive skin. Is there anything I can put on before makeup that would absorb the oil? Is mineral makeup the best for covering Rosacea pimples and mild redness, and if so, which brands are best?

Also, what sunscreen would go over the makeup well without being too oily? I've been getting laser treatments and want to be as gentle on my skin as possible, but it'd still be nice to cover it up. I'll probably wear a hat as well to keep the sun off, and I doubt I'll be on any rollercoasters, since all that wind would probably greatly aggravate the things I've only recently begun treating...

I don't have oily skin so someone else may be able to give you good suggestions for sunscreen for oily skin.

I have been using mineral makeup for a few months now and really like it. It has natural sun protection in it because of the ingredients. I don't think they can officially give it a number, b/c it's not FDA approved, or something like that, but it's somewhere between 15 and 20 SPF. So, if you put it on over sunscreen, it will give you some added protection.

I would recommend going for a mineral makeup with the fewest ingredients. Bare Minerals/Bare Essentials is very popular, but it has a lot of ingredients, and some people with sensitive skin can't handle them (like corn starch and another ingredient that starts with a "b" or "d"- the name escapes me right now).

I use Everyday Minerals and have also tried J. Lynne. Both are very good and only use a few ingredients. I had better luck with color matching with Everyday Minerals (you can get a great sample pack, I think you only pay for shipping).

A lot of my mommy friends like California Baby sunblock for both their kids and themselves. I think you can buy it at Whole Foods.

Good luck and have fun in Disney!

~J

I didn't end up going to Disney, so I'm flying out to Florida April 3rd. My face looks pretty awful now -- base redness, pimples, red marks, oil, and large pores -- so I'm definitely going to see what I can do as far as makeup!

Thanks to your recommendation, I went and got a sample pack of Everyday Minerals concealer. It didn't come with a brush, though, so I'm going to have to find out where I can get some of those... As far as sunscreen goes, does anyone have any good recommendations for oily skin? Is the Eucerin line any good? Also, is there anything that could combat facial oiliness? Thanks!

Default Lancome

This is not a cheap line of makeup, but seems to help my skin. The MaquiControle Oil Free Liquid Makeup has been a lifesaver for me. Used it faithfully for at least 15 to 20 years and I have had rosacea problems all my life. Is the only makeup that has improved my skin. Lancome has replaced it with a new line of oil control products. Bought the TeintIdole Ultra and it is also oil free. Stays on til you wash it off. I've tried them all over the years, spent a fortune on cosmetics. For cleaning your skin...Use Cetaphil liquid for daily wash. Good Luck!!

You may like to have a look at the subsection on the rosacea support forum that deals with makeup.

PS am moving this to topicals

I use mineral makeup I put a light coat of sunscreen under it first, I use everyday minerals you get it online site of the same name, and its cheaper then the other ones and I love it, the mint concealer works great to cover redness, but dont use too much or you get a green tint, Target has great makeup brushes and they are pretty cheap too.

Good luck.

I also use the Lancome Teint Idol Ultra. I treid many from both ends of the scale, less expensive drugstore types to high end brands and it was the only one that didn't cause me irritation, (of course this may be different for someone else).

The coverage is good and it is very comfortable to wear if you need to have makeup on for a long period of time. Best of all it cleanses off very easily without excess rubbing and scrubbing, like some other long-wearing makeups require. However as Luu says, it's not cheap.

Hi alibear,

Is the teinte idole foundation the compact one, or a liquid? I used to use lancome makeup years ago and got on really well with it, and could do with some better foundation now (just using a boots one), but am a bit put off by the idea of having to deal with the makeup counter ladies(!) - especially with the terrible light in most department stores. Is the teint idole fairly easy to apply? I have quite dry and flaky skin since my rosacea flared.

Best wishes,
    Kristina

Quote Originally Posted by kristina b View Post
    Hi alibear,

Is the teinte idole foundation the compact one, or a liquid? I used to use lancome makeup years ago and got on really well with it, and could do with some better foundation now (just using a boots one), but am a bit put off by the idea of having to deal with the makeup counter ladies(!) - especially with the terrible light in most department stores. Is the teint idole fairly easy to apply? I have quite dry and flaky skin since my rosacea flared.

Best wishes,
    Kristina
    I use the liquid one, I haven't tried the compact, as I generally find the liguids are a bit more 'forgiving' on maturer skin It glides on, just a bit like putting on a moisturiser and feels like you are wearing just a tinted moisturiser, only with better coverage, no drying out or cakiness. I just use my fingertips to put it on, as makeup brushes or sponges will make me feel a bit itchy after the application, and apply moisturiser first and give it a few minutes to soak in. Whem I use sunscreen underneath I leave enough time to let it thoroughly soak, around 20-30 minutes before putting the foundation on.

You can use it with or without powder, but it lasts much longer with a finishing powder. I used the Lancome Poudre Majeur, which is extra fine for dry skin and was great when I had flakey areas last year but it didn't control the oiliness around my nose that I am prone to, so I have now switched to Clarins Poudre Douceur which is also supper fine but controls the oily bits better If your skin is very dry and flakey you might want to just try the foundation and see how that goes.

I have to say Boots is a bit of a no go area for me. I have to be in and out for anything in less than 5 minutes or I will greatly suffer the consequences, might as well just go and lie on a sunbed for an hour! There are a few stores that do this to me.

Don't be afraid of the sales consultants, the cosmetic industry is very competitive and target driven, their job is to get you to walk out with as many products as possible and yes I have encountered 'bully boy' tactics with some brands. Don't be bullied! Remember that you are potentially a repeat business customer and that gives you the power! How many people who can put antyhing on their skin will be a one time customer migrating from brand to brand to try the latest and greatest moisturiser or foundation? As the proud owner of sensitive skin, if you find a product that works for you, you will return time and time again as you won't be tempted to upset your skin by trying something else. This makes you a special customer and puts the ball in your court!

I have found the Lancome staff to be very obliging. Of course they offered me the consultation and offered to 'strip' me down there and then and find my perfect products and colour match. I declined diplomatically, gave a few details about my skin without saying too much and walked away with a load of samples to try at home. On my last purchase I decided I wanted to try a different shade as my overall redness has reduced since Xmas. (I was wearing one darker than I needed as it was the only one diffused my redness and blended in the two white circles of natural skin tone I had left around the eyes ). They happily gave me a few shades to try at home, without even trying to get me to have a consultation or throwing any other product at me. I made my choice and a week later went back to purchase my new bottle without any of the added sales 'pitch'. As a return customer you eventaually build a report

Good luck in finding a foundation that works for you, it is not an easy task.
    Last edited by allibear; 9th April 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Cliniques Repairwear foundation....med to full coverage with 12spf...no fragrance or things that bother our skin....truly the best foundation I have ever used in the last 10yrs...!
    Dx 1998