Hey everybody,

I've been dealing with moderate rosacea for about 4-5 years now, have been taking Oracea and applying Finacea as directed religiously, as well as using Prosacea and taking fish oil supplements.

It seems that my rosacea is far more advanced at this age than anyone in my family, even my mother who I fear I inhereted the trait from. My mom is 52 years old, and she has had slight flushing problems for a while but nothing major, however her eyes have been a humongous problem for as long as I can remember. She has been on and off different prescription steroidal (not sure on the classification of opthalmic drugs, help me out if you know) eye drops and applies eye drops about 2-4 times daily. She cannot go outside during the winter time because the fireplace smoke enflames her eyes, and even the slightest whiff of smoke sends her eyes into a watery mess.

It seems that now I'm getting these same symptoms, my eyes are easily irritated and I find myself applying eye drops a few times a week to keep them at bay. Also, my scalp has begun to get really itchy and almost dandruffy, despite using an anti dandruff shampoo. Does this correlate with my moderate to severe (at this point) rosacea at all?

The frustrating thing is that her facial flushing is probably about on par, if not slightly better than mine despite being 30 years my elder. Is there any explanation for this? She used to tan heavily in her teens, which she is paying for dearly now but it seems that that would only AGGRAVATE flushing not reduce it.

If it makes any difference I am a male, and I read elsewhere that male rosacea tends to be more rare, but more severe than rosacea in women. It's kind of embarassing, to say the least.

I haven't really done anything about my rosacea aside from the topicals and antibiotic once daily, and to be quite honest I've almost stopped caring about rosacea altogether but it just seems that even in the past year my symptoms have gotten dramatically worse. I now have extremely enlarged pores and I'm lucky if my face is PINK maybe 3 hours of my waking life. Lucky. My ears are never even remotely flesh colored any more.

Sorry for the long post, but I've kind of shunned it off and ignored the problem and acted like it didn't exist, and it seems that sweeping things under the rug just seems to accumulate a lot more quickly than I anticipated.

Its gone from flushing a couple times a day to being flushed nearly all day, to affecting my eyes and possibly my scalp. These years are supposed to be my youthful years, but I look in the mirror and all I see is a tomato with humongous pores. I don't blame women for avoiding me to be honest...I wouldn't want to date the guy in the mirror either...ugh

I guess I'll go out into the world for another day and smile and act as if it is all okay,

until next time

I apologize to the mods if this thread is in the wrong forum