View Poll Results: Views on post edits

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom to change content any time, even if the post has been replied to.

3 18.75%
  • Open for edit only until the post is responded to.

13 81.25%
  • No edits, when you hit post it's done.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Editing posts

Default POLL: Editing posts

Should posts be locked or kept open to be changed at will?

Happiness is a choice.

I like to be able to edit any time. David Pascoe has his forum set up that way, and it doesn't cause any problems.

Although I'm probably just dense, the case for disabling edit capability is not self-evident to me, maybe you could explain why it's preferable.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

I responded to a post then the original poster changed the content of their post. I was quite surprised to see this.

The edit anytime option is also an aspect of the ESFB forum and has been subject to a great deal of abuses.

David's forum is particularly gracious, a state which is the result of hard work and like minds.

Happiness is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95301 View Post
    Although I'm probably just dense, the case for disabling edit capability is not self-evident to me, maybe you could explain why it's preferable.

Poster A: Do you fancy Beyonce?

Poster B: Oh yes, vey much!

Poster C: The very definition of loveliness!

Poster A being a delightfully waggish sort then edits his initial post to read: Do you fancy David Hasselhoff?

You see the problem here, Steve. Poster B and poster C now look like they find Hasselhoff attractive; and this won't do, because, as we all know, the fellow's thighs are comically thin.

oh I really did not want the mental image of David Hasselhoffs thighs.

Happiness is a choice.

The person from the 'Baywatch' pictures (not David H.) liked to cover up their tracks sometimes by editing their posts.

I vote to keep it the same as the old forum. Edit only until someone replies.

Maybe i'm wrong but wasn't the main reason we got rid of editing posts was because of all the drama and deception associated with Dr. Nase, etc.? All that is in the past now.

A person who started a thread wants to edit his main post with new information or updates, without having to create a whole new thread; this is an invaluable tool that can only help the whole forum interaction.

They could always ask a moderator to amend their post.

By changing posts once they have been replied to it creates confusion. I have seen it on another forum where they have been amended so much that all the following posts made no sense what so ever. I tend to think that threads are forward moving and additions should be made by new posts.

Surely the sensible thing is only being able to edit until a response is made.

Fut, you say that the drama with Dr Nase involved back-editing, but that it is over. This may be true, but I think its not just a question of preventing nefarious activities. Merely keeping threads intelligible would also seem to depend on keeping them stable.

And on the question of adding new info, its hardly a big deal to add another post to a past thread. In fact, it can be informative to see changes. E.g. seeing people's record of experiences when trying out a topical - thinking its working, wondering if it is, ditching it, going back etc.

By the way, where are people getting these smileys from? I can only be or 8).