Thread: I've been prescribed Differin - Should I use it?

Default I've been prescribed Differin - Should I use it?

I went to my GP today to see what my options are in reducing my sebum production. Well, the options are probably all out of the question for me. Accutane is too risky (imho and my GP's), anti-androgens have numerous side effects and often come with feminising effects. I've tried salicylic and azelaic which made my skin redder.

My GP has prescribed me adapalene (differin) gel which I believe is a retinol and the topical version of Accutane? Now, I have read many times that this can worsen rosacea so I was a bit puzzled why she prescribed this. I asked her if it would make the rosacea worse and she said "definately not". I didn't push my point any further but I am wondering what to do?

I was perscribed Differn. I never used it and my dermatologist told me never to put it on my cheeks. Only my t-zone.

My derm prescribed me differin but told me to only apply it to blemishes only, not the entire face
    25, Mild subtype 2

I have used it on my nose and chin as needed, which are rosacea-red but also prone to blackheads. I've stopped using it completely after I found that using it on my back (a few zits, but no rosacea) made it red, rough, bumpy and irritated. I'm on antibiotics instead and hope these will control the facial blackheads, too. Have you tried/intend to try antibiotics?

If you're still looking for a topical, Paula Begoun (a cosmetics expert, not a rosacea expert) has recommended a mask of milk of magnesia to reduce oil production. Put a thin layer of the unflavoured stuff on your face for 10-15 minutes, then wash off with a washcloth soaked in tepid water.

I have no idea if this would irritate rosacean skin. I'd advise a patch test to see how you react. (I'm one of the people who flared up horribly with the aspirin mask, so I'm all about the patch tests now).
    Last edited by tompkin; 24th February 2008 at 01:07 AM.

I have used differin. I would not advise it on the cheeks at all. I would try a bit on your nose for a few days to see how you get on. I wouldn't apply it every day, perhaps start off with every other day (but apply it at night as it can make your skin feel tight and look shiny). Watch to see how your nose gets on and then go from there.

I went down to using it about once a week but it made my skin too dry and red.

Hmmm I think I'll just shread the prescription and safe a few quid. Especially as I've got IPL / PDL in a couple of weeks. I'll see the GP again in a few weeks. I bet they hate me!