Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antihistamine question

Default antihistamine question

Dear all,

the pollen season has started here and my flushing is going through the roof. I have in the past tried some antihistamines, like zyrtec, but it didn't help me.

May I please ask everybody who has found benefit of antihistamines on their flushing, especially from hayfever/pollen? Before I go to my GP and don't know what to ask for...

thanks millions, Natalja

Hi Natalja,

How are you? The pollen season is early this year... I stopped my antihistamine a few weeks ago and noticed some increased redness the last few days so started to use it again. I take Xyzal, it really works for my hay fever and also reduces redness and itchiness.

Hope you're doing ok apart from the flushing!

Best wishes,
    Angela

Hi Angela

thanks. My GP precribed me Allegra (Telfast) last spring and I haven't used it yet cause I was too scared it would worsen my symptoms, but I will try it soon and update then. If it doesn't help me I will ask my GP for this Xyzal,

I'm doing ok, apart from the flushing. When it is calmer my life seems better but well, nothing new for most people here of course...

Are you ok?

Natalja

Hi Natalja,

I am fine, thanks!
    Telfast worked very good for me, especially the higher dose (180 mg), but it caused trouble sleeping for me. Xyzal is the newer "better" version of Zyrtec and supposed to be a bit stronger. It really works for me, haven't sneezed at all today!

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angela1979 View Post
    Hi Natalja,

I am fine, thanks!
    Telfast worked very good for me, especially the higher dose (180 mg), but it caused trouble sleeping for me. Xyzal is the newer "better" version of Zyrtec and supposed to be a bit stronger. It really works for me, haven't sneezed at all today!

Angela
    hi angela my doctor prescrived telfast (15mg) and xyzal to take both at the same time 2 times a day iīm starting it right now, i would like to know if low doses of telfast didnīt help you, and if you doctor recomended then the 180mg of telfast?
    thanks

Hi Angela,

I started Xyzal 2 days ago. I take 5 mg a day, what dose do you take?

best wishes Natalja

Howdy

I take clarityn (although I havent had to for a few months now). Finds it helps with redness and flushing.

Ok, I'll post a little update on my Xyzal trial. I've been taking it now for 4 days and the first day my skin seemed more pale, the 2nd and 3rd day I was more red in my face and my skin also felt warmer and more tight then usual. Yesterday I had a funural, which made my cheeks flare terribly anyway. In the evening my face had calmed down again and I decided to eat something I haven't eaten for years last night, to see if the anti histamine effect already had set in: white chocolate (!!!!); which is pure "poison" for my rosacea normally, because of the cacao and the vanilla and stuff. I ate the whole bar (comfort food, and too good to stop) and my face didn't really flush. I wasn't even extremely red. This morning I woke up with quite normal skin, a bit pinkish as usual. NO big drama. This must be due to the Xyzal. I'm still feeling a bit more red then usual on this drug, but want to give my ski at least one week to get used to the new chemicals of this drug and then see next week how it goes.
    FIngers crossed and glad I got away with that chocolate bar!

I hope that it continues to help. Everyone should be allowed the small pleasures in life like enjoying chocolate every now and then. I love dark chocolate...mmmmm.

My fingers are crossed for you Natalja!

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Howdy

I take clarityn (although I havent had to for a few months now). Finds it helps with redness and flushing.

Sarah, do you have allergies, and if so is this why antihistamines help with redness/flushing? Or can other rosaceans benefit from anti-histamines?

I've a tiny bit of hayfever and occasionally am a bit allergic to the cat, but don't think I'm really that allergenic, but might they still help?