Thread: Choosing a laser center

Default Choosing a laser center

Is it better to go to a place run by dermatologists? There are three places in my area (that I know of) that do IPL. One is part of a dermatology practice, one is run by an MD, but I think she did pediatrics before this, and one is run by a plastic surgeon. There is a fourth that is also part of an allergy practice, but I haven't read much about them.

The appointment I have is with the dermatology group. I figured they would be able to identify with my condition better. The doctors have been around for a while and one several of them specialize in laser stuff.

Any thoughts?

~J

This user has been banned from this forum

Doesn't matter where you go (in my experience dermatologists are as ineffective as regular nurses) make them do a test patch to demonstrate their protocol works. If the test patch doesn't resolve your problem locally or if they refuse, simply not worth your money.

Just curious where do you live?

You might wanna check out the reviews of the clinics before making a decision.

www.rosacea.co.uk
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

How about going to see all three (or will that cost loads?). At least find out which clinic has what machines.

I think it's best to go to someone who has a lot of experience with treating rosacea. I would think a derm has the most experience in this area but it does depend on the individual doctor.

I would have thought that a plastic surgeon must be well qualified (but as to experience with rosace is another matter).

I have often wondered whether anyone in the US has been treated by the laser doc who works on Extreme Makeover TV show as she often appears to be treating problem skin.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29
    How about going to see all three (or will that cost loads?). At least find out which clinic has what machines.
    I'm going to go to the first one and see what they have to say. That one is definitely a free consultation. I know that one of the others is as well, so I'll probably check that one out, too, after the derm office one.

My husband thinks I should give it at least a year before I do any sort of treatments. I told him I'd give it six months and see what happens, but I at least want to go to the consult to see if my issue is even something that can be resolved through laser treatments.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

~J

I would have thought that a plastic surgeon must be well qualified (but as to experience with rosace is another matter).

I have often wondered whether anyone in the US has been treated by the laser doc who works on Extreme Makeover TV show as she often appears to be treating problem skin.
    My derm keeps telling me it's not rosacea. She did a couple biopsies, but from what I have read/heard rosacea can't be determined through biopsy. I think what it is is erythema (redness) caused my long term topical steroid usage. I've always been a social flusher, so I think I have rosacea prone skin. Four months of topical steroids, twice a day, every day, did some major damage!

I wondered this too....looks like she is always using VBeam type laser or something like smoothbeam to treat acne problems.
    Dx 1998