Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flaky skin! help please :) ENTIRE face flakey.

Default Flaky skin! help please :) ENTIRE face flakey.

ALright so i'm not sure if this is rosacea or seb derm (always thought it was sebderm but literally it is my whole face, even areas that dont really get seb derm. my whole nose, cheeks, side of face, forehead, chin, etc.) it's not really red (just the same permanent rosacea redness) but this flakiness wont go away!

So what happened was i would get this awful tight feeling where it felt like there was another layer glued on to my skin and no amount of moisturizing/anti-fungal shampoos would help. I was put on steroids, they got rid of this "second layer" within a few days, HOWEVER, since then i'm STILL flaking everywhere. NOTHING is controlling the flaking. I got off the steroids and was recently (like 2.5 weeks ago) put on Elidel to stop the flaking.

I'm assuming this is seb derm right? It's just an insane amount of flaking (every morning gotta attempt to get all the tiny flakes off... although of course there's always a bit left... which means makeup = no since it just flakes off with my skin)

ANY advice?! Please help guys, im totally at a loss here.

This sounds like my face and also I was on prednisone in nov and Dec and now using elidel on my face. My chin and neck have rosacea and my nose area and the rest I believe is eczema.

Where do you live? Are you experiencing winter now? Are you in the heat? what makeup are you using? I started again with tinted moisturizer and use laura Mercier.

Bonnie Sayers

One possible option is the n-light. This can help with seb derm (if it is that).

best wishes
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

I'm in Canada, so yes it's winter here.

I don't use any makeup because it just flakes off.

I washed my face with stieprox shampoo last night, and of course, still flakey.

This sounds like what I have also....a craggy scale all over my entire face...yuk! I have to try to gently exfoliate every single day for years now so I can wear makeup otherwise it looks AWFUL. I have tried the antifungal shampoos too and it doesnt seem to do a thing....this has me very confused....I think it's seb derm like you but how can we know for sure...absolutely. Oil's in creams or oil's alone make mine worse....I would say my skin feels crunchy...and like I have a sunburned taunt feeling 24/7....I wish I had a solution and an answer....is it rosacea + sd or just rosacea???

NLight....could someone give me more info on this....is it similar to VBEam?
    Dx 1998

Have either of you tried something with Pyrithione Zinc in it? According to research I've been reading recently, it's the most effective against the yeast that causes the seb derm. Head and Shoulders has it, and there is a cleanser called Born to be Mild by Dermadoctor with it - made for rosacea. Have you tried either of those?

Artist

I would also recommend Eucerin cream as it contains urea that helps allow the flakes fall off.

http://www.eucerin.com/

Unfortunately for me, p. zinc burns me like CRAZY (i tried 2% once). I'm worried about washing my face with head and shoulders cause of the other ingredients in it. I have a "smooth and silky" one in my bathroom (darn i didnt buy the original) Could i use that one?

And nope, eucerin just burns my skin too.

Default Constant flaking

This is exactly what happened to me. Woke up one morning and the skin all over my face was flaking off. A few suggestions from a fellow Canadian:

1. Do yourself a favour and buy a shower filter (its a filter that screws on right where your showerhead would be). It will make a world of difference in the amount of flaking. I got mine from a company called aquasauna (online) but I here they sell them at Sephora (online or possibly local depending on where in Canada you live).

2. I have been using 1% hydrocortisone lotion and this has certainly helped tremedously. I have been concerned about longterm use so I am continuing to try and find an alternate solution, one has not materialized yet. Several derms have told me it is safe for longterm use, even on the entire face (with the exception of the eye area and especially the eyelid which is very thin skin).

3. Find the right moisturizer, too light and it will just enhance the flaking, too oily and it will likely cause break outs and redness. Trial and error is the only method I know of here.

4. Find a good derm...if you can...good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EK1
    Unfortunately for me, p. zinc burns me like CRAZY (i tried 2% once). I'm worried about washing my face with head and shoulders cause of the other ingredients in it. I have a "smooth and silky" one in my bathroom (darn i didnt buy the original) Could i use that one?

And nope, eucerin just burns my skin too.
    This is me also....zinc just doesn't work for me...never did....I never could use Linda Cy's products way back in the beginning....ZincO burned like crazy.

Right now I can use Toleriance lotion....not the best....but at least it's not burning my face
    Dx 1998