Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Real cause of seborrhea discovered

I use head & shoulders on my face... works fine. Seb derm is just dandruff of the face.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Will do!

The laureth is the gentler one, but I'd be happiest if they had used decyl glucoside, which is super mild. I am thinking my skin can probably tolerate this, and even the Head & Shoulders, as a treatment wash two or three times a week.

Cheers!

Artist

I'm gonna try this head and shoulders thing too. My skin has flared up recently.

I tried washing my face with H&S last night and it didn't irritate it at all. The flaking has gone down quite a bit and doesn't seem as red. Only early days though, I'll see how it goes.

This sounds interesting about using H&S on the face. I will have to get a small travel size of the stuff to try it out since I only have t gel in the house and the john freda stuff.

I decided not to color my hair and instead go back to highlighting and chickened out in doing it this weekend since my son is sick and my face was irritated. Past times I did my haircoloring my forehead got better after all that stuff on my scalp and it always helps me nasal passages.

Bonnie Sayers

Washed with H&S again, redness is still declining and flaking down quite a bit. I hope it can sustain this - I'd be thrilled with such a simple solution.

Yay! The head and shoulders and now Dermadoctor facial cleanser (both having pyrithione zinc as main ingredient) are still working for me. No flakes with NO fuss!! I never thought it could happen. Pyrithione Zinc is awesome! I think it will only be needed two or three times a week, to keep the seb derm under control. I'm thinking if I used either every single day, over time, they may aggravate my rosacea.

Cheers!

Artist

Artist - with the Dermadoctor, how mild is it? Also, does it leave any kind of film? I had this sort of moisturizing cleanser once, but my skin started breaking out after a couple of days because it just can't handle moisturisers - its too oily.

It is a lotion consistency and I think it probably leaves a little something on the skin, although I rinse it quite thoroughly. My skin does feel soft afterwards, as if it's been moisturized.. Perhaps you could follow the "treatment" by washing with your cleanser.. The Head and Shoulders does seem to rinse more easily from my skin. I am sure I'd react if I used either twice a day, every day. It's only needed two or three times a week for maintenance, so I'm thinking my rosacea will be ok with that. Actually, it's improved since clearing the seb derm. I really had no idea how much my mild seb derm was affecting my rosacea.

Cheers!

Artist

Yeah, washing after with my cleanser sounds like it could work.

Could I ask - what is your seb derm like? (I've tried looking through a few of your past posts, but I can't really find anything).

My skin is really dry and oily. I'm kind of unsure whether it is seb derm because, although I get flakes, I think these may just be dry skin; and it seems that people with seb derm don't have a problem with dry skin so much as flaky skin, caused by something else.

...just wondering if zinc pyrithione is going to be effective...

Like you, I have often wondered if my mild flakes are just dryness. But, even with moisturizing and using a humidifier and all that, they are so persistent! My skin does not look "greasy". It looks matte, and the flakes were very fine, tiny...I could actually peel a tiny flake away with a tweezer. To me, it looked like dry skin, but it was only in my rosacea area and SO persistent.

Also, my rosacea has a tendency to be itchy. Any breakouts I get usually itch.

I did have a big explosion of seb derm once when I took Biaxin, so that should have been a big clue. Still, I just didn't focus on treating it as seb derm long enough. I tried Nizoral and a Ketakonazole, but both irritated and I gave up. Thinking back, I think the Ketakonazole worked on the flakes, but as a cream it irritated the heck out of my rosacea.

I continued to just try and treat the rosacea and moisturize. I was always, always, always fussing with those flakes. Washing with a more thorough cleanser and soaking my skin with a washcloth twice a day, and using glycerin off and on did keep them at bay pretty well, but the pyrithione zinc just cured it. So, no fuss now. Yay!

An interesting not is that for years I've noticed that my flakes go away and rosacea improved when on a tropical vacation. I always assumed this was due to increased humidity helping dry skin. Now I think it's because of the sun exposure. I wear a hat, not sunscreen, so my face would gradually become slightly tan. Just enough sun exposure to help the seb derm without aggravating my rosacea..

That said, rosacea does make it harder for skin to maintain moisture, so I'm sure not all rosacea flakes are seb derm..

Cheers!

Artist