Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Topical sodium bicarbonate

Steve you got any pics ?

Whats your face usually like...red ? and this has made it pale ?

I will try and buy some baking soda..

I don't want to overhype this, so I will just say: Best. Rosacea. Treatment. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bungle
    Steve you got any pics ?
    I do have some on my camera phone, I'll put them up later tonight. (I'm off to the library right now.)

Whats your face usually like...red ? and this has made it pale?
    The baking soda seems to have removed all inflammation, and what I'm left with is permanent redness (I have a lot, but it's mostly diffuse).

My results correspond perfectly to the hypothesis of an aggravating factor that has been removed. I still have permanent redness, but it doesn't look (or feel) "inflamed". I still flush under certain circumstances, but not more than any other white, light-complexioned person. I have been pleasantly surprised, literally every single time I've looked in the mirror over the past 4 days.

I feel like I'm back to "normal", i.e. the complexion I had when I was 10 years old, but I'm still carrying the residual damage of 17 years of rosacea. It feels like the aggravating factor is totally gone.

Tonight I've applied the bicarbonate to my seb derm areas, not just my cheeks. I've had visible seb derm on my forehead/nose/chin recently, so I'd like to see if the bicarbonate affects those areas.

BTW, one side of my face has been redder than the other for as long as I can remember. It just now occurred to me that I lay on that side of my face in bed, 90% of the time. Could I have some kind of mite on my skin, which the bicarbonate is removing? Maybe a mite, or a fungus, or both. I do have mold in my shower and (strangely) in the fluorescent light fixture in my kitchen.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Holy crap, I just figured out why my seb derm flared pretty bad today... the only thing that's changed is the bicarb on my cheeks...

The bicarb is killing the critters on my cheeks, so they're fleeing to other areas.

That has to be it. It fits perfectly. Earlier today, it looked like my cheek skin had switched places with my nose/beard-area. I was red down the middle and white on my cheeks. Very weird. But I haven't been treating that area with bicarb, so they're taking refuge there!

Well tonight I started treating that area, so if my seb derm clears, that would support the hypothesis.

(Sorry, I'm having a total "Eureka!" moment.)
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

I just have permanent redness, do you think this will reduce the redness at all ?

I do believe the same as you in one aspect, my redness is much more on the right side of my face which is the side i sleep on.

I just put some moisterizer on my face then aload of baking soda.

Left it on for 35 minutes.

Has done nothing but left my face even more RED !!

Whats the deal? is there another method to this ?

Rosaceans have different sensitivity levels... I don't want you to aggravate your face; sorry it didn't work.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Hey bungle,bicarb is pretty alkaline so can be drying.
    I have diluted it and not left it on for long.

Quote Originally Posted by caran
    You mixed it with water...then put it on over the moisterizer ?

Quote Originally Posted by caran
    My theory is that the high concentration of HCO3 is killing the microbes/mites, so I'd be interested to see if there are any beneficial effects from a dilution.

Since the first day I did this, I've had a mild burning sensation much of the time. It feels different from a flushing burn, though. Every time I look in the mirror, I'm pale. The sensation has been diminishing. One possibility is that something on my skin is dying, and either releasing endotoxins or somehow causing the sensation by dying off.

I don't feel crazy anymore, doing this - this is so effective that I might not be posting here much anymore. I've already marked the date on my calendar when I first tried this, as the day I cured my rosacea. If this continues (and 5 days in a row isn't a fluke) I will celebrate that day every year. (Yes, I know how crazy that sounds.)

My skin texture is also incredibly smooth now.

I've always wondered why my rosacea persisted, even though I did all the right things. I've had very effective IPL treatments, I stopped drinking/smoking, I take all the right supplements, I wear sunscreen, etc. But the rosacea has still hung around, just enough to always be a factor I can't forget about. But if I've had an aggravating organism on my skin this whole time - like Columbo would say - "that would explain it."
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Hi Steve,
    glad you are doing so well on this treatment. I have found my face feels a bit itchy - like things crawling on it so I think maybe it's making things uncomfortable for some type of pathogen.It's certainly not looking irritated though.
    So is your background redness fading too?
    The thing that worries me is using this in a high concentration and stripping the skin --- if you've ever got bleach on your fingers it makes them feel very smooth but doesn't do them much good.