Thread: Pulse width variation/changing filters

Default Pulse width variation/changing filters

For the past four months I've been getting KTP treatments done once a month. I don't have rosacea (I don't think!), but I do have many red marks left over from past acne (probably from skin damage from topical application use). I've read on here that some truly skilled laser docs will alter the pulse width or change filters (I'm not sure if these refer to the same thing even) to target individual vessels. I don't really have access to one of these truly skilled docs, but could I achieve similar results if the gal who operates the laser changes the pulse width and/or filter for each pass? Currently I have five passes done, each at the same wavelength and pulse width. I'm not sure what the pulse width settings are at right now, but I could always e-mail and ask her.

Thanks!

KTP can be used both to trace individual veins or with a wider diameter to cover wider areas. For those with surface redness and broken veins Dr Crouch tends to recommend wider diameters (ie paint mode) to get the diffuse redness first before going on to target specific veins with smaller diameter (to avoid a punched out effect).

Have a look at the thread linked. If you read through you can see that we start to post up our KTP settings. Don't forget through that most of us are using it in combination with other lasers and also have very sensitive skin. Dr Crouch also took the time to comment on settings.

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...t=4916&start=0

If you find out your settings then post them up.

Best wishes

Sarah

Thanks for the reply!

I checked out the thread and I see your settings read:

532 nm KTP at 30msec Pulse Width and 10 J/cm2 with 10mm spot using Gemini - single pass to chin and cheeks and corner of nose.

First, I recognize that the wavelength is, of course, 532 nm, the pulse width is the 30msec reading (what unit is "msec"?), and the spot size is 10 mm. What is the 10 J/cm2 reading?

I'll e-mail her and hopefully get a reply back by Monday. So I assume if she's going over my entire face then she's using "paint mode"? And so next time I have it done I should have her go over in "paint mode" (wide pulse width) for a few passes and then on the last couple passes use smaller diameter pulse widths to target individual blood vessels (i.e., red marks) that stand out particularly?

Thanks!

OK, I got a reply from the gal at the laser clinic: the spot size was 4.O mm, the fluence was 10, pulse width was 35 and I had 5 passes done.

What's the difference between spot size and pulse width? Is pulse width the only thing that needs to be adjusted for targeting individual blood vessels versus general redness?

Tristam

Sorry I'm not going to be very helpful here. Did you read further into the thread I linked? Dr Crouch mentions I few things:

There are three heads for the Gemini but I will focus on the TWO that are most often used and can cause confusion. I will try to draw out the distinction between the two most used heads:-

The Variable 1-5mm diameter handpiece is useful for tracing out individual vessels. Remember the Gemini is a dual laser and can switch between KTP and Nd:YAG Mode also so (in general terms) fine pink vessels are targeted by the KTP mode i.e. 532nm and (again, in general terms) the darker blue vessels. The size of the spot size is dialled up on the laser console

The 10mm diameter handpiece is useful for generalised redness or if a patient is seeking a revitalisation treatment and this head is often used similar to the way one would use a paint brush - moving the head back and forth, each shot delivering energy over a 10mm diameter area. This technique treats a much larger area in a shorter time. The effect is less about targeting individual vessels but is aimed at treating more vessels as a group.

Other lasers may have similar approaches but the KTP/Nd:YAG combination I know best (other than the Lumenis 1 IPL) and use every day is the Gemini. The Gemini is manufactured by another fine company called Laserscope and they have some great videos of both methods of treatment with different spot sizes and the painting mode on their website video archive:-

http://www.laserscope.com/aesthetic/...procedure.html
    Spot size is the actual size of the laser and pulse width is to do with wavelenghts (I think). have a look at Dr Crouch's IPL protocol for a diagram showing pulse widths:http://www.triplc.info/