Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facial fat loss due to IPL/Laser

Default Facial fat loss due to IPL/Laser

hi everyone,
    I read a few articles on the web about the loss of facial fat due to IPL and laser-treatments. It sounds really horrible and I hope this is something very very rare, cause the horror stories I've read about this side-effect makes facial fat loss my biggest worry when it comes to IPl and laser-treatments. Has anybode here experienced anything like this? I think its the most common under the eyes (so they end up looking more hollow), and on the cheeks so they look more bony (like old people sometimes have). Any thoughts on this subject? Oh I remember that someone on the Yahoo rosacea-group had had this side-effect, read about it a couple of years ago.

/Fredrik

Retired Moderator

Fredrik,
    I thought I had read everything possible regarding the use of lasers, specifically repeated laser treatements and adverse side effects. I have never heard of such a thing. In general, I don't know of a single laser professional that would agree with "facial fat loss". IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Not even a little.
    Could you post the links to these articles so that we could read them?
    Yours,
    Rob

Yes IŽll get the links. Here is cosmetic-surgery forum where some people discuss this issue: http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/...er=asc&start=0

Ill find the other stuff IŽve read too.

Hmm thats very worrying. I have never heard of this but would be very interested to hear more.

Thanks sweden for posting up the link

Retired Moderator

Fredrik,
    Thanks for the link. Read through all the posts. I guess I am still not convinced by it. I don't mean to imply that any of the posts are fraudulent, etc. but it just left me unconvinced and basically unconcerned. Combined, on the various rosacea forums, several doctors I have seen, etc. I haven't ever heard of anything like this.
    Based on the depth of penetration of the PDL or IPL, how much fat could be impacted? A friend of my wifes had lipo on her thighs and it only made a modest impact- and it is a heck of a lot more invasive.
    Interesting stuff but I am already obsessive compulsive enough with my skin as it is. I am going to stay far away from that discussion group! I have had good results with the v-beam- and I am grateful.
    Yours,
    Rob

Retired Moderator

PS- In your original post you mentioned, "a few articles". I would be much more interested in an article or peer reviewed journal. If you could link those, I would be very appreciative.

no it wasnt a peer reviewed journal. It was an article about a show on CNN where this was one of the subjects. Ill find it again, but as I previuosly mentioned, there was a woman on the Yahoo rosacea group that wrote about it happening her, and she showed pics too. This was a couple of years ago. I dont know how far back its possible to search for posts on that forum but it might still be there.

This user has been banned from this forum

If the facial fat loss was months after the laser then it could be attributed to it or to something else, although the non-ablative lasers work mostly on the epidermis.

Now, if it happened a few years after the laser, it's most probably genetic aging. Some people will attribute their aging to anything but won't admit that they simply get older.

lol come on, this is not some hypothesis or something, this happened to them due to the IPl/laser, but that obviously doesnt mean its something to worry about cause it is so unlikely to happen. It happened closely after the treatments...I dont think it is debateable if it was the ipl that made it happen or something else...

I dont know but if it takes fat away then I am going to talk to my Dr. about going all over it with my body.. :P

I highly doubt this would happen, no worries..Jenn