Thread: Metrogel - long term use

Default Metrogel - long term use

I was diagnosed with Rosacea in 07 and have been battling it ever since. I am reluctant to take the antibiotics or metrogel prescribed over the long term. They both really help, but I prefer to find an alternative remedy since I worry about the safety and long term effects if used over a number of years.

Has anyone had any long-term problems using Fougera's Metrogel (sold as Metronidazole topical solution)? Do people use it for a while then have a break then get back with it? I need to get a handle on this. I eat well, exercise, have reduced stress etc, etc, but my face is just a disaster!

Yikes!
    thanks for the input.

I've used Metrogel for three years. The only long term effect is that it makes my skin better. I take a brief break from it now and then and I sometimes use Finacea on spots too. I think it works better for me if I use it consistantly.

Metrogel stopped working for me after about 9 months.
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

Quote Originally Posted by patty
    The only long term effect is that it makes my skin better. I take a brief break from it now and then and ... I think it works better for me if I use it consistantly.
    Me too. I love what Metrocream does for my skin and suffer pretty quickly if I stop.

Metrocream and Red Light Therapy, knock wood.

Happiness is a choice.

I've been on metrocream for about a bit over a year. I really couldn't tell you if it is having a positive effect, but I know that if I stop using it for a while, my skin tends to get worse.

S-kid

How are you doing, its been a while since you posted

Is the coal tar still helping?

Sarah

I've been using metrogel for about 2 years off and on but mostly on. I think it's made to work best when it's used consistently and constantly for the longterm. It's made specifically for longterm use...according to my derm and pharmacist, for one's whole adulthood.

Rosacea usually doesn't go away or get cured from medications...it's just kept under control. Stop the meds and it returns...for many of us worse than before.

I tried the alternative route for years and years, always hoping that something more natural would do the trick. It never did and I suffered for decades. Finally several years ago I gave up on the natural route and went mainstream with dramatic results. I'm no longer red, swollen, lumpy, pimply or inflamed. According to my pharmacist, most of the so-called antibiotics are actually rather natural in origin and function. If we're taking an antibiotic for a chronic problem like rosacea then the antibiotic is functioning for a deficit function in the body...the antibiotic is helpful to the body. This is different than taking antibiotics willy-nilly for colds or minor stuff.

My derm said that if I would take the antibiotics religiously (for me it's bactrim & metrogel) then over time I could reduce the amounts to minimal dosages. This is where I am now.

I also eat very well (organic, natural, mostly vegetarian, etc.), exercise, etc. etc. but sometimes we need meds too. As I read more I realize that mankind has always taken "meds". We aren't willing to live with disfiguring diseases. I saw a woman the other day in the market, my age, and her face was flaming red with lots of lumps and bumps and I could see she was self-conscious. I wanted to tell her about this forum and to give her hope but didn't know where to start. Oh well.

c
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

All of these replies have been so helpful. This is the first time that I have ever participated in a forum of this nature and it's great to know that there are people out there who are getting a handle on this condition. I guess I was worried about any long-term possible carcinogenic effects of metrogel and cream. (I like to read the small print on the inserts and can worry myself silly about what I read in higher-dose trials. But then those are given at much higher doses.....).

thanks to everyone for their replies.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaHH View Post
    I was diagnosed with Rosacea in 07 and have been battling it ever since. I am reluctant to take the antibiotics or metrogel prescribed over the long term. They both really help, but I prefer to find an alternative remedy since I worry about the safety and long term effects if used over a number of years.

Has anyone had any long-term problems using Fougera's Metrogel (sold as Metronidazole topical solution)? Do people use it for a while then have a break then get back with it? I need to get a handle on this. I eat well, exercise, have reduced stress etc, etc, but my face is just a disaster!

Yikes!
    thanks for the input.

Why not try the Homeopathic approach? HPDermatology.co.uk offers the Homeopathic treatment. Worked for my dad!

You can see my dad in the gallery: https://www.hpdermatology.co.uk/gallery/

Why not try the HPDC free WhatsApp support? https://www.hpdermatology.co.uk/what...ients-support/

Default re Metrogel .. and my situation

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    I've used Metrogel for three years. The only long term effect is that it makes my skin better. I take a brief break from it now and then and I sometimes use Finacea on spots too. I think it works better for me if I use it consistantly.