Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: safe antiandrogen for men

Just Google " ketoconazole androgens " and you should find plenty of stuff.

Hello boys, I hope you dont mind me butting in........

My doctor said he would prefer me to stick to 25 mg every other day as it can have a negative effect on the kidney apparently.

The weird thing about spiro is that although it clears up sebum it doesn't make your skin dry, just closer to what normal skin is like (i think).

I have to say I absolutely love the effect. Skin is softer, less red and less greasy. I could have asked Dr Chu about the effects on men the other day. I can next time if you want but it wont be till June. All he said to me was that I should avoid getting pregnant whilst on it as in theory it could feminize a male fetus- I assured him that this was the last thing on my mind

This user has been banned from this forum

Just DHT antiadrogen blocker is not enough to bring the oil production down. I've taken propecia in the past and didn't notice any effect on oily skin.

Quote Originally Posted by caran
    Just Google " ketoconazole androgens " and you should find plenty of stuff.
    Cheers. I was putting in "ketoconazole antiandrogen" which came back with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29
    I can next time if you want but it wont be till June.
    please

OrangeHorizon - If you wouldn't mind, could you expand a little on what you say. I was under the impression that a DHT-blocker is sufficient (so long as, obviously, one's overproduction of oil is due to overprevalence of DHT). Is there some other explanation of why propecia didn't work for you?

The weird thing about spiro is that although it clears up sebum it doesn't make your skin dry, just closer to what normal skin is like (i think).
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I can't quite imagine it but...

That was my experimental observation that propecia does not reduce oily skin.

Here is the possible explanation from

http://eurobolica.com/proscar.htm

One other thing to note is that finasteride specifically blocks the type II 5a reductase enzyme. There are actually two "isozymes" in the human body, labeled as type I and type II. Type I 5a-reductase is predominant in the sebaceous glands of most regions of skin. The Type II 5a-reductase isozyme is primarily found in prostate and hair follicles (among others). So although the type II enzyme is responsible for about two-thirds of the circulating DHT, a small amount of DHT may still be produced in the body by the type I enzyme. Finasteride may therefore have a more pronounced effect when preventing hair loss, and be somewhat of a lesser benefit when dealing with acne and body/facial hair growth (tissues where the type I enzyme is still active). Of course the drop in serum DHT will still have some beneficial effect on all related side effects. This is not a major concern in any event, as hair loss is really the primary worry amongst most male steroid users who would use this drug. A little oily skin or new hair growth on the back/shoulders can be dealt with by other means or simply endured. The user knows these problems will only be temporary.

Mmmm, well that's an explanation of sorts. Thanks.

YvesRocher has a line for oily/combination skin that contains plant extracts blocking the type I enzyme. I tried it in the past, it really works reducing the sebum with regular use but it irritated my face possibly because of the alcohol content - I think the active ingredients are alcohol extract of Scutellaria Baicalensis Root plus corn starch for mattifying.

Personally I can't tolerate topicals. If one can, isn't another solution to actually wash the face with an anti-dandruff shampoo?