Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: safe antiandrogen for men

Default safe antiandrogen for men

Does anyone know of a good antiandrogen that is safe for men to use?
    I tried Spironolactone for a few days and it brought my sebum production level right down for the 1st time in a long time. However I don't want to risk taking it long term because of the potential side-effects such as gynecomastia, testicular atrophy and erectile dysfunction.
    I'm not convinced Isotretinoin (Accutane) is a good idea due to the long list of side-effects one of which is thinning of the hair as I don't have much left as it is!
    Finasteride (Propecia) is just way too expensive to take long-term, though I do like the idea of it slowing hairloss and possible regrowth!
    Are there any alternatives?

Hi flemmo,
    Ketoconazole is an antiandrogen and as an antifungal it might help seb derm on two fronts.
    There are potential side effects which you would have to weigh up and compare to other options.Unfortunately all drugs have side effects.

I'm looking into anti-androgens at the moment too.

You might want to look up Saw Palmetto. It was mentioned by Patrick on this forum not long ago, and a few other rosaceans on the forum seem to have used it.

It works in the same way as spiro as far as I can tell - blocking the conversion of testosterone into DHT. Since its widely used by men for prostate problems (and pattern baldness) it doesn't seem to have the 'feminizing' effect of spiro - although you do hear contradictory reports on the web.

It is supposed to be as effective as finasteride.

The normal dosage seems to be 320 mg (standardized - so the active content of each capsule is 85%-95%).

Patrick reported what seems like a reaction to it - it made him flush badly and turned him aggressive. But this doesn't seem the usual experience.

Oh, flemmo, about your experience with spiro, by the way, you say that it reduced the sebum production, well: has it left you with dry skin/more flaky skin? I'm intending to take Saw Palmetto, but as well as being oily, my skin seems also really dry, so I'm a bit worried about this.

didn't realise Ketoconazole is an antiandrogen. I've only ever seen it in shampoo's like Nizoral. Does anyone know if it comes in an oral pill form? I'm not keen on using shampoos on my face as even if they help the seb derm, they upset the rosacea.

TheMediumDog, I've actually been taking Saw Palmetto for about a month now. I haven't seen any difference either way unfortunately. Then 5 days after spiro sebum production reduced considerably. It is possible Saw Palmetto takes longer then a month to have any effect. I'll post back if I see any change.
    I didn't notice any extra dryness or flakiness. I use a little bit of La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide Soothing Protective Non-Oily Emulsion for moisture

Oh, damn, I was hoping I was going to be able to avoid a prescription drug.

oooh, I found an online retailer selling spironolactone direct. Dodgy maybe...

Flemmo, how many mg's of spiro are you taking? Isn't it supposed to be a low dose for guys? Also, have you experienced anything like an initial breakout?

I took 25mg every other day for a week. not taking them now, just Saw Palmetto. sebum production is back up
    No I didn't experience any problem like initial breakouts.

Is the retailer inhouse pharmacy? I've wonder if they are safe/legit? Based in New Zealand I believe.

ketoconazole does come in pill form.It is a prescription drug although you can get it at online pharmacies. One brand name is fungarest.

25mg every other day is a really low dose, compared with the doses mentioned in what I've read. And it still brought down the oil production eh; this is positive news indeed.

Isn't that a sufficiently low dose for you to be unconcerned about gynecomastia etc...or did you already start to notice symptoms after a week?

Yeah, one of the places is Inhouse pharmacy. I know I'd probably be stupid to do it, but...

there was a marked reduction in oil, definately. I'm not sure how much or how little spiro it takes to get undesirable effects. But I don't really want to risk it. I'll have a chat with my G.P. again to see what they think. It's just long term use of it worries me.

I can't find any refference to ketocozanole being an antiandrogen other than wikipedia. I though it was just an antifungal? Wikipedia isn't always accurate. Is it definately an antiandrogen?