Thread: My First V-Beam Experience Today

Default My First V-Beam Experience Today

Hi all,

I just had my first Laser treatment with the new Candela V-Beam.

It was my first consultation with this dermatologist and he said I had a combination of KP(Keratosis Pilaris) and Rosacea.

The KP is like a red rash on the sides of my face and on top of my eyebrows. He said it does respond to treatment, albeit the treatment has to be on bruising settings. He recommended doing to test patch on the side of my face first to see how I would respond to treatment(as there can be complications even though that is pretty rare). He zapped me 12 times with the V-Beam and it did sting a little during the zaps, but the pain was pretty intense after the treatment...maybe because the settings were on bruising mode.

The RN showed me what the side of my face looked like after treatment and i had like 12 circular bruises running down my sideburn area of the left had side of my face. The purple circles were also raised, like welts, slightly swollen. I was given an ice pack and some anti biotic cream to apply twice per day. They said it would take 2 weeks for the bruising to subside. They want to see me again in 3 months. Seems like a long time.

Sad part is I didnt even get my cheeks done yet Which is what I really wanted done. I feel very saddened by all of this. As if Rosacea isnt bad enough as it is, but know I have KP on top of it. :?

He said the redness on my cheeks is typical of KP, with a large circle of redness with a small circle of normal skin in the middle. Like a donut effect.

My skin doesnt hurt(2 hrs after treatment) and it isnt red either...just purple circles.

How long did it take others bruising to fade?

Retired Moderator

Hey, hope everything is going well.
    In answer to your specific question, in one week, 7 days from the procedure, I gaurantee your purple will be all but gone. Maybe a little residual light color, but nothing to worry about.
    With regard to the keratosis pilaris, you should do some research as I believe the efficacy of v-beam for KP is sometimes questioned. I believe there is a KP forum much like this one.
    Lastly, if your practitioner only is treating 12 spots every three months, you will never finish. That seems overly cautious in my opinion. If I were you, I would question this approach. He/she may have a reason, but it seems entirely too conservative.
    Rob

Thanks for your insight boyandhisdog.

the 12 zaps were just a test, too see how my skin reacted. I should have said that in my post. The purple circles have faded quite a bit already after only 48hrs.

He said if all goes well they do will my whole face. The actual zaps from the laser werent that bad. But immediately after treatment my skin was burnung like crazy. Bit that pain too left after about 5-10mins.

Default pdl

Have just had PDL today with the N-LIGHT. Have roughly about 10 purple spots on my left cheek somewhat like the number 7 in shape. Have u seen any reduction in the purple brusing yet.

Best Wishes
    gerryc

Yes, i have seen a reduction in bruising. The purple has gone and the spots are a reddish colour. Some o them are fading. On Tuesday it will have been 1 week. So Im trying not to look to much until then.

I wish you the best of luck with your treatment(s).

Great news, all seems to be going well with you. I will post about my results as well. Too early yet!

Best wishes.
    gerryc

The V-Beam hasnt seemed to do anything for the red rash(KPR) on the side burn area of my face. No bad side effects either though.

So nothing good or bad has come of the test treatment except im about $175.00 out of pocket. From what I have read KPR(Keratosis Pilaris Rubra) doesnt seem to respond to much at all...as far as the redness is concerned.

Next time I will just get the Rosacea treated(the butterfly pattern of redness). The skin is alot more delicate around the nose and cheeks though and I am a little hesitant to get the bruising settings in those particular areas. What do you guys think?

Bruising settings seem to get the best results and I am soooo sick of this permanent redness I willing to do anything to get rid of it.

They say 300.00 for full face. He said V-Beam or KTP would be best.

Hi DJC,

I would first try the VBeam on non-bruising settings on the cheek and nose area. Are you being treated with the Perfecta VBeam? If you are, the Perfecta can do higher powers more efficiently without the bruising that you would get with the older VBeam models.

I had been considering purpuric VBeam settings myself but I have already had 5 VBeam treatments and they produced results I was pleased with. The only reason I was considering the purpuric treatments in the future was because I was getting a bit less effective results with my most recent VBeam. However, I would still err on the side of caution.

I know some people here are very pro-purpura and for them it may be the only way to get effective results. But, since you haven't had the VBeam on the rosacea areas yet I would first do the non-purpuric treatment and take it from there. The Perfecta can give you a bit of the best of both worlds in that you get the higher power without the bruising since it delivers the energy in a more efficient manner.

Also, each treatment is cumulative so you do see added benefits with each treatment. With rosacea patience is key and you want to do the minimum of disruption with the best results possible and sometimes that is a fine line to walk. Start slowly is my advice and with each treatment reevaluate with your doctor.

Best of luck!
    Melissa