Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: SIBO rosacea link

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediumDog View Post
    Your point about subantimicrobal dose was too subtle for me Michael, I don't think I get exactly what you're saying . That, basically, the tests aren't sensitive enough to pick up on the action its having?
    Sorry for the subtlety, MD!

What I was getting at was that, yes, they are below the antimicrobial threshold in the bloodstream and in the colon but probably not in the stomach and small bowel where they go first, before absorption and dilution. If you dropped 40 mg of doxycycline in a petri dish, the bacteria therein would find the dose very antimicrobial indeed! This may well be the case for our small bowel flora, as well--the very organisms this thread is dedicated to discussing.

Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    Sorry for the subtlety, MD!

What I was getting at was that, yes, they are below the antimicrobial threshold in the bloodstream and in the colon but probably not in the stomach and small bowel where they go first, before absorption and dilution. If you dropped 40 mg of doxycycline in a petri dish, the bacteria therein would find the dose very antimicrobial indeed! This may well be the case for our small bowel flora, as well--the very organisms this thread is dedicated to discussing.

Better?
    Ummm, MD is short for MediumDog...

Guys,

I am in my third and final month of doxy hyclate prescribed by my derm. It has worked so well for P&Ps and even eryethma to some degree surprisingly.

It is the antimicrobial dose, 40 mg per day....two 20mg tablets.

Why should I only be limited to three months if it is working SO WELL!! It is under the barrier for antibiotic resistance too!

I am an adult and am willing to take this long-term. Why should I not have my way?

So my prescription should be started soon when I'm done healing from laser. It's 1200mg for ten days right?

So who has it helped?
    I tested positive for sibo doing the breath test.

I've suffered from rosacea for 15 years. The last 4 have been horrible with a full face of p/p exacerbated by pregnancy.

I've done all the Rx topicals, oral antibiotics, oracea, and low dose accutane. The latter helped for a while but recently the p/p started to come back and I decided to go to yet another derm.

I brought the studies on SIBO with me to this appointment as I was desperate. He wouldn't prescribed the riflaxin (?) antibiotic for me but did give me a Rx for metronidazole (p.o.). One of the studies showed improvement with metro when riflaxin wasn't successful.

I've been taking 250mg BID for 2 weeks now and my p/p are gone (well there's 1). My face has not been this clear since before my pregnancies and I couldn't be happier. Accutane wasn't even this successful for me.

I am still pink, but for now I will take it.

I took my last dose of metro this AM and am curious how long it will last. I'll post and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I've suffered from rosacea for 15 years. The last 4 have been horrible with a full face of p/p exacerbated by pregnancy.

I've done all the Rx topicals, oral antibiotics, oracea, and low dose accutane. The latter helped for a while but recently the p/p started to come back and I decided to go to yet another derm.

I brought the studies on SIBO with me to this appointment as I was desperate. He wouldn't prescribed the riflaxin (?) antibiotic for me but did give me a Rx for metronidazole (p.o.). One of the studies showed improvement with metro when riflaxin wasn't successful.

I've been taking 250mg BID for 2 weeks now and my p/p are gone (well there's 1). My face has not been this clear since before my pregnancies and I couldn't be happier. Accutane wasn't even this successful for me.

I took my last dose of metro this AM and am curious how long it will last. I'll post and let you know.
    metronidazole is also used against H Pylori infections. I took it several years ago. Don't know if the rosacea got worse after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post

Congratulations, Talula! So glad metronidazole is working for you!

Interesting thing about metronidazole is it is effective against at least three of the treatable causes of rosacea: demodex, helicobacter pylori, and methane producing SIBO.

Under the supervision of a gastroenterologist I work with, I started on a hefty dose of metronidazole last week: 500 mg po tid. This is the usual dose for methane producing SIBO (I had already failed to improve on rifaximin 400mg tid x 10 days).

My rosacea is primarily p&ps with frequent flushing and burning.

Now, I have already tried a helluva lot of things: ivermectin pills, permethrine cream, eurax cream, high dose doxy (100mg bid), low dose doxy (Oracea), Finacea, sulfur creams, metrogel, clindagel. I've tried the Clear Skin Diet, the Anti-Inflammatory Zone diet, and the low gluts, ams, and sals diet. I'm on clonidine and remeron. High dose D3. High dose zinc. Multiple IPLs. Britebox RLT daily. You name, and I've probably tried it.

Within two days of starting metronidazole, I had clear skin, and it has stayed clear. This is literally the first time I've cleared since I developed rosacea last Spring. I still flush and I still have paresthesias, but those have decreased, too.

The plan is to continue metronidazole at 500 mg tid for a total of one month, then 500 mg bid for two weeks, then 500 mg once daily for two weeks.

No idea how long the benefits will last, but I have a feeling that unless the underlying causes are addressed, the improvement will be temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    Congratulations, Talula! So glad metronidazole is working for you!

Interesting thing about metronidazole is it is effective against at least three of the treatable causes of rosacea: demodex, helicobacter pylori, and methane producing SIBO.

Under the supervision of a gastroenterologist I work with, I started on a hefty dose of metronidazole last week: 500 mg po tid. This is the usual dose for methane producing SIBO (I had already failed to improve on rifaximin 400mg tid x 10 days).

My rosacea is primarily p&ps with frequent flushing and burning.

Now, I have already tried a helluva lot of things: ivermectin pills, permethrine cream, eurax cream, high dose doxy (100mg bid), low dose doxy (Oracea), Finacea, sulfur creams, metrogel, clindagel. I've tried the Clear Skin Diet, the Anti-Inflammatory Zone diet, and the low gluts, ams, and sals diet. I'm on clonidine and remeron. High dose D3. High dose zinc. Multiple IPLs. Britebox RLT daily. You name, and I've probably tried it.

Within two days of starting metronidazole, I had clear skin, and it has stayed clear. This is literally the first time I've cleared since I developed rosacea last Spring. I still flush and I still have paresthesias, but those have decreased, too.

The plan is to continue metronidazole at 500 mg tid for a total of one month, then 500 mg bid for two weeks, then 500 mg once daily for two weeks.

No idea how long the benefits will last, but I have a feeling that unless the underlying causes are addressed, the improvement will be temporary.
    That's fantastic Michael! I am excited to go back to the derm (provided I am still in "remission") to show him not just the change in my appearance, but to also demonstrate how it certainly affects one emotionally. I had tears in my eyes explaining to him my current battle and thoughts and hopefully I will be all smiles when I see him again.

I do so hope this continues.

Congrats!

Should I just bring in articles written by MDs about the effectiveness of doxy on a long-term basis? Obviously she would know this right?

Lol, maybe she doesn't? Wouldn't surprise me...

Quote Originally Posted by college_senior View Post
    Congrats!

Should I just bring in articles written by MDs about the effectiveness of doxy on a long-term basis? Obviously she would know this right?

Lol, maybe she doesn't? Wouldn't surprise me...
    If you are having success with low dose doxycycline, there is no reason your physician should object to long-term therapy. An entire drug class (subantimicrobial antibiotics) has been established in support of this practice.