Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: SIBO rosacea link

I posted this is another thread but thought it was appropriate here, as well.

Regarding metronidazole for SIBO:

I started with this regimen three weeks ago. Unlike with doxy or rifaximin (which did nothing for me), I saw a fairly impressive initial improvement after starting metronidazole 500mg tid. In just a couple of days, my face was clear, smooth, and pale for the first time since developing this silly disease. For a few days, I actually felt normal (even ever so slightly attractive!) again. Since then, I have noticed:

On the plus side, my nodules, papules and pustules (I am type 2) have been held at bay for the most part, though I still get the errant bump or two that breaks through.

On the minus side, it hasn't seemed to make a dent in my near constant flushing and burning or in the intermittent but maddening pressure at the bridge of my nose.

For both these reasons, I don't feel in any sense cured but merely controlled and that at a cost: I have recently developed the mild diffuse itching that signaled an antibiotic fueled folliculitis the last time I was on full strength antibiotics (then it was doxycycline).

So now I'm wondering whether I should stay the course and finish out the full two months or do quick taper and get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    On the minus side, it hasn't seemed to make a dent in my near constant flushing and burning or in the intermittent but maddening pressure at the bridge of my nose.
    I don't mean to go off-topic but Michael, could you tell me more about the pressure on your nose? Do you feel it's connected to your rosacea? Is it your sinuses? Does the pressure ever move around? Do you get pressure anywhere else on your face? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious. Someone pointed me in your direction because I experience something that seems similar, a dull pressure ache that comes and goes. It tends to come on after flushing. But also at random times. Sometimes it's around my ears. The sensation makes me feel tired. I've never met anyone else who has this symptom! I don't know if it's connected to my flushing and facial bumpies and itchies but the issues started at about the same time (2 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBee View Post
    I don't mean to go off-topic but Michael, could you tell me more about the pressure on your nose? Do you feel it's connected to your rosacea? Is it your sinuses? Does the pressure ever move around? Do you get pressure anywhere else on your face? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious. Someone pointed me in your direction because I experience something that seems similar, a dull pressure ache that comes and goes. It tends to come on after flushing. But also at random times. Sometimes it's around my ears. The sensation makes me feel tired. I've never met anyone else who has this symptom! I don't know if it's connected to my flushing and facial bumpies and itchies but the issues started at about the same time (2 years ago).
    I have the exact same pressure on my nose, and in some other points of my face.
    Maybe due to the thinness of the skin.

Something to think about, when mulling on antibiotics, immune-response, secondary infection, etc:

'Good' Bacteria Keep Immune System Primed to Fight Future Infections

Interesting article. I like the analogy to a car engine.
    This definitely emphasizes the importance of probiotics but is that sufficient and in what quantity/quality?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBee View Post
    Many rosaceans experience this symptom. It is not related to the sinuses. Here is a thread dedicated to this very topic: http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...=pressure+nose

Default Vivonex diet for SIBO

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would post to tell about my experience with SIBO and rosacea.
    Not too sure where to start, but I feel I should post my experience, so that someone might learn something from it.
    Like many on this board, I wondered if my rosacea was related to my gut issues. The more I read, the more convinced I was that SIBO was a culprit. The drug rifaximin is not available in Canada where I live and I tried every other drug combo there was to treat my gut (and hopefully my rosacea).
    As I read up on SIBO, I learned of Dr Mark Pimentel and his book’ I New IBS Solution: Bacteria-The Missing Link in Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I became convinced that gut bacteria were to blame for my rosacea and my IBS like symptoms.
    Dr Mark (who is the director of the gastrointestinal motility program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center) treats IBS with a course of rifaximin, or by prescribing an elemental diet (Vivonex).
    Vivonex is an elemental diet. It is basically what they feed people on feeding tubes. It is ‘pre-digested’ so it absorbs within the first two feet of the digestive tract. This early absorption basically starves out the bacteria lower down in the digestive tract. It is supposed to be even more effective than rifaximin at treating IBS bacteria. If a course of rifaximin does not resolve IBS symptoms, a 2 week diet of Vivonex is often prescribed.
    So, since I couldn’t get my hands on rifaximin in Canada, I decided to try the Vivonex diet. I figured that if I could reduce my bacteria load, my rosacea would improve.
    To sum up this already long post. Vivonex is vile and I had a VERY hard time completing the diet. For a full two weeks, all I could drink was water and Vivonex. I never cheated once and it was really, really hard.
    At the end of all of it my stomach was vastly improved. I would say my IBS symptoms have improved by at least 85%, but there was absolutely no improvement on my rosacea.
    To say the least I was very disappointed. While I am happy my gut issues are a lot improved, I am very sad that there was no impact on my skin. I completed the Vivonex diet about mid November and waited, hoping for a delayed reaction on my skin….but it hasn’t happened. 2 ˝ months after completing the IBS Vivonex protocol, my IBS symptoms remain improved, but alas, there was no positive impact on my rosacea.

That's very disappointing about the rosacea naun......I also recently have been diagnosised with IBS-D.....plus rosacea for 12yrs now.....I recently too read Dr.P's book....and am on the rifaximin.....I didn't think I could do the Vivonex for 14days.....it's sounds so difficult....I admit I don't expect to see any improvements in my rosacea either....but I will do the course of rifaximin....followed up by erythromycin 50mg's as he also prescribed this afterward for 3mo's to truly get the gut clear of SIBO.....I am only on my second day of rifaximin so it is too early to tell.....I'll post on my results in future. Also I am taking glutamine several times per day....watching my diet.

I am glad to hear your IBS has improved so much.....that is wonderful.

Perhaps this gut connection is all just another rabbit trail.....who really knows.

I recently saw a new commerical about rosacea.....while it's good they are putting it out there and this one did say it is a chronic inflammatory skin disease....they still make it sound like there's a simple cure out there and just call or visit a website and no problems.....you'll know what you have and all is well. If yours is mild that's fine....if it's not well....your on this forum and realize there is nothing simple about rosacea.
    Dx 1998

Update on my use of rifaximin....

far as I can see no change or improvements noted in my rosacea.....still red and developed many more p&p's while on it....that part really doesnt' make much sense as the study indicated a clearance of them for patients.

I just began metro orally 1000mg's per day.... I plan on doing this for 10days or 2wks.....and will post an update afterward.

As far as flushing goes.....I only flush to triggers....emotions/stress, humidity, hot rooms and of course certain foods......so for the most part I avoid all these things and can usually keep that under control. I saw no change in that at all either way.

As far as my IBS-D goes....I haven't suffered an attack since taking the rifaximin.....so perhaps it will benefit this if not the rosacea.

Michael.....are you still taking the metro? could you update this topic with your progress/results?

Dx 1998

I'm pretty sure these drugs are doing more harm than good. You know even if you could get rid of the pathogens in your gut, without a flora in good shape, producing acids to control the overgrowth of pathogens and maintaining a proper slightly acidic environment in the bowel, there are no chances to cure the problem.
    As TheMediumDog pointed out with the article, good bacterias are keeping immune system primed to fight infections.
    That's the underlying cause. Poor immune system, and lack of flora. Destroying even only pathogenous organisms won't solve the cause, in my opinion.
    Building the flora back is the safest way to get rid of a bacterial overgrowth. And it takes time. IBS is clearly linked to a LACK of beneficial flora and thus an overgrowth of pathogens. Just eat plenty of fermented foods, kefir, raw sauerkraut, home made yoghurts (from RAW milk), and avoid sugars. Feed your flora with oat and rice brans.
    I know I post a lot about this, but I think it has to be said. I can understand that some ppl do not agree with that, but...
    Metronidazole and other drugs will let your bowel more and more alkaline because they will destroy all the flora that produce acids that control pathogens overgrowth. Parasites and yeasts thrives in an alkaline medium.
    But I do not have any diplomas to show to you, so I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to help you as I can!
    But I really hope you will find relief, in a way or another. I also have problems like yours, but I tried so much things that didn't work. Since I'm doing this "plan", I eventually have relief in my GI probs and my skin is also better than it has ever be.

Best wishes, and have a nice day.