Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional impact of V-Beam: just how difficult is it?

Hello to everyone. I have been following people's experiences for quite a while and wanted to share my own.
    I just had my first Vbeam treatment today. I have had flushing and facial redness ever since I was a kid. I'm 31 now. It has progressivly gotten worse over the years and have tried many things including IPL which didn't help much. Doc recommended the Vbeam so I finally got up enough courage. I mentally preparred myself and have taken 1 week off of work to lay low...paint the inside of my house lol.
    So the treatment was fairly quick, 20 min or so. He used a lower setting for my first treatment. He did a test near my hairline and actually caused slight bruising so he cranked it down a bit.
    It is a bit of discomfort of course but I have a fairly high pain threshold, so I didn't think it was that bad. I have quite a bit of redness...little swelling, and a couple areas with some bruising. He may have double passed in that area he said. All in all, I am glad I did it. I am hopeful for good results. Any improvement I will be thankful for! Cost for my ful face was $400. Thank you all for sharing and I hope my experience can be helpful to those deciding on treatments. Cheers, Joel

Good luck Joel, hope this works well for you.

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the Forum!
    I hope VBeam works well for you. Do you plan on having a series of treatments?
    If you'd like it would be great to post a little about yourself in the newbies section.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hey tompkin,

I am really sorry to hear about you recent experience. I also live in Toronto and had one treatment of VBeam at Baywood Clinic on October 15th. I cant say it helped me at all. I have permanent red cheeks that nothing helps. Neither did VBeam.

But again, I only had 1 treatment. People usually get 4-5 treatments to see improvement. I wouldnt hesitate to go for further treatments once I can afford it which I hope will be next winter.

I read a lot of good reviews about Baywood Clinic, Dr Chan and Keller.

I know what you are going through and I know how important it is for you to get rid of permanent redness/pinkness. I'd be glad to be any support if you need some. I believe VBeam is safe and I believe you'll see improvement with several treatments.

Best wishes

Francois
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

Thanks, francois!

I was just back at the clinic today (getting a laser hair treatment) and I'm feeling pretty comfortable with Dr. Chan. She did tell me that even with a cautious first pass with VBeam, I may get a few small bruises, but they should clear up in a week. I'll just make sure that my second half of February is pretty clear of public appearances.

Wow, I can't believe the number of people who are from Toronto and who have had treatments with Dr. Chan.

Add me to her fan base. I had five treatments and she's very careful not to bruise (unless you want her to but I always get the sense she'd rather not).

As for the swelling and the redness, she starts off at lower settings and then increases them as treatment progresses. I suspect you will be red and swollen for your first few treatments but the downtime should decrease as you acclimatize to the procedure. I would suggest doing it sooner than later but wait until you can take a few days off.

And in terms of the redness and the swelling, this sounds like a strange thing to say, but remember this when you finally do get the treatment: Be thankful for it! Don't freak out, the swelling absolutely will go down in time and the redness will subside. The more aggressive the treatment, the better the results. I always look forward to doing nothing for a few days after treatment. Have food in the house and DVDs to watch. Catch up on reading. Stay away from the mirror. Pamper yourself. It's all good.

I agree Chelsey. I do look forward to the few days after treatment (I take off from work for sure after laser)where I can relax and read a good book, listen to music, watch movies and eat popcorn. We deserve some pampering!!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

PS Why does Dr. Chan like to avoid bruising treatments if more aggressive can yield better results generally?

She told me today that she thought bruising was more effective, and that the bruises can be covered with makeup. My impression was (and she didn't use these exact words) that her client base wasn't too happy about bruising.

Thanks Mary!
    I think I might go for it...

Do you know what type of VBeam Dr. Chan uses?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Sorry, I don't know. Anyone else?