Thread: How do you know if you have BOTH SD and rosacea?

Default How do you know if you have BOTH SD and rosacea?

Hello there,

People want to ask if they have one or the other, but I believe I have both.. but I am not sure.

I know that I have a patch of skin, following the malar rash on one side of my face. It is a little "darker"/redder than the other skin. Occasionally over time if I have a wet face for awhile I can scrape the skin off the spot, but it becomes red when I do this.. but there seems to be dead skin over it.

The other side of my face is a little red, but not as big and not in the malar shape.

After sun exposure it is a little redder.. after exersize I can be flushed in that zone.

what do you think?

I want to get a picture but I don't have a camera currently to hook up

sounds like seb derm to me, maybe rosacea too. The red spot with dead skin over the top is classic seb derm which I suffer with too.
    Its very difficult to tell if you have rosacea too. Seb Derm usually improves with exposure to the sun, whereas rosacea worsens.

Hi guys,

I'm asking myself this very same question again and again, although my doctor told me to rule seb derm out. My skin is very dry, red and scaly. Today I have a flare up. It itches and it looks very wrinkly, as if I have an extra layer on my skin. It is located on my forehead and cheeks (just besides my nose). I have some papules on those places as well as on the rest of my face. I just applied a little antifungal cream (miconazole) and am thinking about getting Pau d'Arco supplements. Can anyone comment on this? Does seb derm look like you have an extra layer on your skin that wrinkles like mad? Oh and I also started taking apple cider vinegar capsules - this is also good for seb derm, right?

Thanks in advance.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angela1979
    Does seb derm look like you have an extra layer on your skin that wrinkles like mad? Oh and I also started taking apple cider vinegar capsules - this is also good for seb derm, right?
    I'd say so. Is the skin flaky? Try a bit of sudocrem on the scaly skin. Leave it for a couple of hours and then see if that extra layer of skin comes away. Sudocrem works great for me to shed the extra layers of seb derm skin, but it isn't great on rosacea as it contains drying alcohols. But at least it should help you identify if it is seb derm.

Hi flemmo,

Thanks! Yes, my skin is flaky. I don't use sudocrem but I use zinc ointment (contains only zinc oxide and vaseline), and it does help with the scaliness: when I apply it at night, the next morning I can gently rub the scales off with a soft and wet wascloth.

Best wishes,
    Angela

hi there, where abouts do you buy this zinc ointment from? it sounds great!

Hi,

It's called Daro Zinkzalf ("zalf" is dutch for "ointment"). I don't know if it's available outside the Netherlands. The firm is called Remark Pharma.

My guess would be your pharmacy can just make this mixture for you if you ask for vaseline with 10% zinc oxide. It's very cheap.

Good luck!

Angela