Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Finacea

Default Question about Finacea

Hi all,

I am thinking about trying finacea for my red bumps/papules. I read some posts about it but still have a question for all who use it or have used it:

Does finacea cause dryness and irritation? I know it can cause some burning/stinging just after applying, but does this remain?

My skin is very sensitive and quite dry and I'm not sure if I will tolerate finacea.

Anyone who can help, thanks in advance!

Angela

Hi -

I've tried Finacea and it works pretty good. Yes, it does tingle like the dickens until your face gets used to it. It does work good for P/P and acne though. A little for redness. What I would do is try it every other day (one time a day) a week or two and see how it goes. Put a light layer on and then wait a few minutes and then put on your normal moisteriser after. It is a bit drying, but not as bad as RetinA or retinoids, but do put a moisteriser (non-acnegenic) on top if you are a little dry.

Good luck.

Yvette

Hi Yvette,

Thanks for your reply. I talked to my doctor about finacea but she didn't even know what I was talking about. It is not (yet) available in the Netherlands. So now I'm gonna try topical tetracycline to see if this has any effect.

Angela

I realise Finacea is a prescription drug, but does anyone know if it is available online anywhere? I went to my GP and asked for it and she prescribed me skinoren cream instead as it contains the same active ingredient. It didn't do anything for me, but I'm too scared to go back asking again for Finacea :?

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo
    I realise Finacea is a prescription drug, but does anyone know if it is available online anywhere? I went to my GP and asked for it and she prescribed me skinoren cream instead as it contains the same active ingredient. It didn't do anything for me, but I'm too scared to go back asking again for Finacea :?
    I'd say your GP is a real lazy dumbass. Either try explaining to her the vehicle specific to Finacea alloows for about 600% better absorption of the active ingredient and the clinical data shows vastly superior results for Rosacea (and Acne incidentally)...or get a new GP who isn't a half decade behind on his/her knowledge of dermatology. I hate lazy doctors. appalling

It is very frustrating indeed when your doctor/derm is so far behind on knowledge. Even more so if you have rosacea and live in a COUNTRY that is waaaaay behind on knowlegde of rosacea.

As far as i know, Finacea is marketed as Skinoren in Europe. So it should be the same thing...

Yes, that's true. In Germany... not in the Netherlands though.

It would appear you are both because Skinoren still has a 20% cream but also has the 15% gel and both are manufactured by Intendis (the maker of Finacea). My guess is that FDA-like regulatory agency in the Netherlands has yet to approve the new vehicle for Skinoren. The marketing for Skinoren is more taylored towards Acne.

Hi. This is the second day I am on Skinoren (can't find Finacea in my country). It burns like hell! I really hope the damn things that produce the p&p's feel the same and go away.

Angela, you should find Skinoren easily.

As far as I know, Skinoren and Finacea have the same excipients, they just sell it with different names in different countries. I also see "15% Gel" on the Skinoren package.

I just did a little search to make sure.

The list of excipients is exactly the same. And they both have Azelaic Acid 15%.

Got them for Finacea from http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/asse...62#COMPOSITION and for Skinoren from my own tube.

Excipients:

Lecithin

Triglycerides (medium chain)

Polysorbate 80

Propylene glycol

Carbomer 980

Sodium hydroxide

Disodium edetate

Purified water

Benzoic acid (E210)

--

Yvette, can you please tell us when you saw the first good signs when you used it?