Thread: Will IPL treatments for rosacea inhibit facial hair growth?

Default Will IPL treatments for rosacea inhibit facial hair growth?

Just curious as to whether the IPL treatments for rosacea could inhibit facial hair growth. I'm sure that it depends on the depth and intensity of treatment. My third treatment was at '31' which was 2 points higher than the previous 2 times. As of yet I have seen no affect to facial hair.

What IPL machine are you being treated with?

Default Re: Will IPL treatments for rosacea inhibit facial hair grow

Quote Originally Posted by Jmphill
    Just curious as to whether the IPL treatments for rosacea could inhibit facial hair growth. I'm sure that it depends on the depth and intensity of treatment. My third treatment was at '31' which was 2 points higher than the previous 2 times. As of yet I have seen no affect to facial hair.
    Dear Jmphill,
    Most IPL machines used for rosacea can inhibit hair growth - indeed, with many machines, patients shoould be warned that hair loss/reduction could be permanent. There have been one or two rare reports of increased hair growth following laser/IPL treatment.

I hope that this helps,

Peter

yeah i got warned that it inhibits hair growth not that i had any hair to inhibit, i reckon it depends on the machine and the type hair, i had 8 treatments with one machine and hardly noticed anything then two treatments with another machine and my hair grew enormously(yuk) but i have red hair and i know someone with darker hair(male) which it had the opposite effect on, and he saw hair loss. i guess it all just depends. sam

It definitely seems to depend on hair colour. I would think any women with fair hair, especially if you're already peach-fuzzy (like me), should approach IPL very cautiously.

Men may decide if losing hair or getting hairier works for them, of course. :-)

Yes, I lost a good portion of the hair in my beard area after IPL treatments. In fact I feel the IPL is more effective at hair removal than it is at blood vessel removal.

I have noticied that the vbeam does not inhibit hair growth.

John

I'm booked in for my first IPL session next Friday.

I have really dark brown hair and was wondering the same thing about hair loss.

I had a weird thought - would bleaching my facial hair beforehand minimise the risk of hair loss? It's funny how the mind of a rosacean works isn't it?

When I had some extra (dark) hair removed via laser, I was told not to pluck it because the laser needed to get to the hair in the root to kill it.

So if you bleach dark facial hair, the dark root will still be present, and *may* be vulnerable to loss.

Hmm -- so maybe brunette men need to pluck out every bit of their beard before IPL in order to protect it. :-)