Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Rosacea Update (4 years in the making)

Default My Rosacea Update (4 years in the making)

Hi everyone,

I don't post as much on here because my condition is much better than before, i almost forget I have it at times. Anyways, here is my progress over the last 4 years that has made my condition about 80% better than it was before.

I have had seb derm for many years before this, but noticed that the steroid cream i was using for it made my face worse (big no no) and was getting hot flushes. I could not even clean my face with anything, and on top of this my acne was getting out of control, and had flushes. I did not know what was happening. Through doing some research I found out I had rosacea so I took it upon myself to try and fix this thing, cause i was pretty down in the dumps and scared.

This is what I did:

Year 1

- Bought the Dr Nase book (i know i know, keep it to yourself, great book)
    - went on accutane 40 mgs a day for 6 months to dry up sebum and acne (made flushing worse because 40mgs is way too much)
    - Went on steroid drops for my occular rosacea (what a blessing, wow!)
    - Started using Elidel for seb derm (wow, works so good!)

Year 2

- Went on Doxycycline to keep acne under control and help maintain my eyes
    - Did 8 IPL's (took out about 1/2 my flushing and took out lots of perm redness on cheeks and temple area)
    - Went on Clonidine (used for social situations, works great, makes you sleepy though)
    - Still used Elidel for Seb Derm

Year 3

- Started 1.5 years of low dose Accutane at 10 mgs every other day
    - Still used Clonidine for social situations
    - All my Ocular rosacea was gone, with the Steroid drops, IPL's, and Doxy, the only thing that is left is my eyes still look bloodshot, they feel great though.
    - Still using the Elidel about once a week for Seb Derm if it flairs up

Year 4

- Waiting another 4 months to do about 5 more IPL's to get the flushing down even more, as I just came off the 1.5 years of Accutane. Skin is nice, no acne, and oil is down lots.
    - Still using the Clonidine when I need it
    - Still use the Elidel for Seb Derm
    - Now taking a good multivitamin and about 20,000 IU's of Vitamin A and 25,000 UI of Beta Caratene a day to maintain any acne if it comes back and help my skin not have as much oil.

Things are really starting to come around and I have a lot more confidence at jobs, and around people. I really can't wait to do some more IPL's with my derm. If any of you have any questions please ask me and I will try to help anyone out.

Thank you

Hi

Thanks for your post, its very interesting as it sounds like I am in a similar situation to what you were a few years ago. I have permanent redness, flushing, p&p's and acne. I am currently on low dose Accutane and have been for nearly 18 months. The Accutane only works maybe 75% of the time for reducing my p&p's and acne and reducing my oily skin but it increases my redness and flushing so I am starting to doubt whether its worth taking it.

I am going to quit the Accutane and wait 6 months then do several treatments with the Lumenis One IPL.

A few questions for you Canada Dude:

- Does the IPL help with reducing all your symptons? ie. Redness, flushing, spots and oily skin.

- Did your skin flare up in any way in the days following an IPL?

- Do you take anything while doing the IPL? ie, still use creams or take any pills.

- Is the Clonidine for anxiety in social situations to prevent flushing?

- Has your facial hair been effected in any way by the IPL?

I will probably think of some more questions so I hope you don't mind

Thanks
    Beama

-Does the IPL help with reducing all your symptons? ie. Redness, flushing, spots and oily skin.

THE IPLS HELPED WITH REDNESS, FLUSHING, AND SPOTS. NOT SO MUCH WITH THE OIL, THATS WHY I WENT BACK ON THE ACCUTANE FOR A YEAR AND A HALF AFTER MY FIRST SESSION OF IPL. IT WORKS, YOU WILL NOTICE AFTER 3 OR 4 OF THEM, FIRST FEW THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A CHANGE, BUT IT WORKS.

- Did your skin flare up in any way in the days following an IPL?

NOT REALLY. i GOT BURNT 2 TIMES, ONCE ON MY NOSE BAD AND SCABBED OVER AND I HAD IT FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND A BIT, NOTHIGN MAJOR. YOU CAN SMELL YOUR SKIN BURNING DURING THEM WHICH IS KINDA GROSS. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ICE YOUR FACE PRETTY MUCH FOR 6 HOURS AFTER YOU DO THE IPLS, THEY WILL DO HURT A BIT DURING AND AFTER. BUT THEY WORK GREAT LIKE I SAY.

- Do you take anything while doing the IPL? ie, still use creams or take any pills.

I STILL TOOK MY DOXY AND USED ELIDEL ON MY FACE DURING THE IPL'S. SO YOU CAN USE THINGS ON YOUR FACE. THOSE WERE THE ONLY 2 THINGS I USED DURING THE IPL'S.

- Is the Clonidine for anxiety in social situations to prevent flushing?

USED FOR SMALL BITS OF ANXIETY I MUST ADMIT. BUT MOSTLY I GET SO HOT AND GET FLUSHES IF OUT IN A WARM ROOM OR EATING A DINNER IF THE ROOM IS TOO HOT. THIS STUFF WORKS BIG TIME, ONLY DOWN SIDE IS IT MAKES YOU TIRED, SO DONT USE TOO MUCH IF YOU USE IT.

- Has your facial hair been effected in any way by the IPL?

IT TOOK ALMOST A YEAR FOR MY HAIR TO GROW BACK IN THE BEARD AREA. I ALWAYS HAVE A SHAVED FACE ANYWAY, UNLESS I GET LAZY FOR A FEW DAYS AND LEAVE IT, LIKE ON THE WEEKEND OR WHATEVER. IT WILL GROW BACK BUT NOT AS THICK AS BEFORE, WHICH WAS FINE BY ME.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, JUST WANTED TO SEPERATE THE QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS.

Sounds great! Ok heres a question about the Elidel cream you've been using. I don't know if I have rosacea, seb derm or a mix of both. But both dermatologists i've seen have diagnosed me with seb derm due to me being only 18, having seb derm problems like dandruff and irritated chest, ect... (Read whole story here http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=12092)

And heres a pic to give you some sense of what it looks like...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/97/rosa1ye8.jpg
    http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8057/eyecl6.jpg (close up but you can ignore the eye -- just to show the enlarged pores)

I don't know who to believe.. Im still convinced I have rosacea (visible capilarys, dad suffers a severe case, so on) also because I have used a special shampoo to lather on my face which was supposed to clear it up (supposing it was seb derm) but never did...

The new doctor gave me Elidel, some dandruff shampoo and sporanox. I am hesitant to continue the Elidel because it has been burning my face (I get a burning sensation although it does not VISIBLY change my redness much.. Maybe worsens it a tiny bit... I dont want to call my derm because he suggested steroids as an alt. which caused some SERIOUS damage to the redness in a matter of days of use! (although for one day -- it was 100% clear :x )

I'm wondering if you also get a burning sensation?? I will continue with sporanox but do you think I should with the Elidel? Thanks man and congrats with the improvement!

Do you have any before/after pics so I can see what type of rosacea you have? Bumps? Just flushing? Thanks!

Thanks for the update and all that great information.

I'm always curious about where members are having success with IPL treatments. Where do you get yours done?

Thanks

Thanks for the answers.

Have you found the Doxy works well for keeping your skin relatively clear of spots while you wait the 6 months before you can do more IPL's? Another member takes Clarithromycin and says it works well for keeping the spots at bay.

The Clonidine sounds very interesting as I always flush when I am out, especially if a room is slightly warm. Do you still take it now? Is it the sort of thing you can take in the morning if you know you will be going out that night?

Losing a bit of facial hair sounds good to me too as I always get ingrow hairs.

Sorry about all the questions, hope you don't mind.

Beama

Hey Canada Dude,

Thanks soo much for your update. Sounds like you/your skin are doing great. It's wonderful to hear some treatments have and are still working for you. You may remember you sent me some messages about Accutane last year. I'm ending month 6 now of low dose Tane.

I love Tane too. My face is super smooth and no more chin acne! It just got better from the start. My acne was very mild. My pores are so clear - wow. I'm on 20mg day though, could do less, but I don't want to take a full year. I'm taking through month 8 and that's it. Scared the acne and oilies will come back though.....

Thanks again. May email ya with a few more ?'s.

Cheers,

Yvette

Quote Originally Posted by ewist
    Sounds great! Ok heres a question about the Elidel cream you've been using. I don't know if I have rosacea, seb derm or a mix of both. But both dermatologists i've seen have diagnosed me with seb derm due to me being only 18, having seb derm problems like dandruff and irritated chest, ect... (Read whole story here http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=12092)

And heres a pic to give you some sense of what it looks like...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/97/rosa1ye8.jpg
    http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8057/eyecl6.jpg (close up but you can ignore the eye -- just to show the enlarged pores)

I don't know who to believe.. Im still convinced I have rosacea (visible capilarys, dad suffers a severe case, so on) also because I have used a special shampoo to lather on my face which was supposed to clear it up (supposing it was seb derm) but never did...

The new doctor gave me Elidel, some dandruff shampoo and sporanox. I am hesitant to continue the Elidel because it has been burning my face (I get a burning sensation although it does not VISIBLY change my redness much.. Maybe worsens it a tiny bit... I dont want to call my derm because he suggested steroids as an alt. which caused some SERIOUS damage to the redness in a matter of days of use! (although for one day -- it was 100% clear :x )

I'm wondering if you also get a burning sensation?? I will continue with sporanox but do you think I should with the Elidel? Thanks man and congrats with the improvement!

Do you have any before/after pics so I can see what type of rosacea you have? Bumps? Just flushing? Thanks!
    Go see a Opthamologist for your eyes right away. Do not see a normal eye doctor. An Opthamologist will know right away how to fix your eyes, i'm guessing some low dose accutane or Doxy, with a low dose steroid he will most likely set you up with. If your eyes hurt, they will fix them.

You will know if you ahve rosacea if your skin feels hot. End of storey. If you flush and the skin feels warm, you have rosacea. The Elidel will help calm the skin down for flair ups, I would not use it everyday though.

I do not have any pics. What is sporanox?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beama
    Thanks for the answers.

Have you found the Doxy works well for keeping your skin relatively clear of spots while you wait the 6 months before you can do more IPL's? Another member takes Clarithromycin and says it works well for keeping the spots at bay.

The Clonidine sounds very interesting as I always flush when I am out, especially if a room is slightly warm. Do you still take it now? Is it the sort of thing you can take in the morning if you know you will be going out that night?

Losing a bit of facial hair sounds good to me too as I always get ingrow hairs.

Sorry about all the questions, hope you don't mind.

Beama
    I got my IPL's down at a local laser clinic taht has every laser you can think of.

Doxy is a great choice to use between IPL's, it will help with any acne, not with any oil though. And you can use Doxy while getting IPL's so you don't ahve to stop it.

I'll take Clonidine about an hour befoe I head out, and may take some a few hours later if I will be there long. It's like a lock on your rosacea, it is hard to flush even if you try on this stuff. Side effects I get are sleepy (if you take too much) and dry mouth and throat, so I drink lots of water when im out if I took some.

Hi Canada Dude

What made you decide to go back on Accutane for the past 1.5 years after having good success with the IPL's?

Did you find the Accutane made your skin redder or flush more?

Thanks
    Beama