Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea from chemical peels?

Default Rosacea from chemical peels?

Long story short: had acne, acne went away, had red marks. I really overused chemical peels. Stupidest. Thing. Ever. My red marks have faded, yes, but now I've got flushing. Has anybody else gotten rosacea from overusing chemical peels? What have you found that's worked for you? Thank you. =]

Current regimen:
    AM:
    BHA wash
    SPF 15 sunscreen
    PM:
    BHA wash
    Clindacymin(sometimes, still a bit acne prone)
    Retin-A(sometimes, still a bit acne prone)
    Aloe Vera Gel

It sounds as if you are still using some quite harsh things on your face (for your acne). Retin A certainly worsened my rosacea and I'm not the only one. Whilst I was using it my flushing got loads worse.

IMHO i would reduce/cut out the retin A and your skin may stop flushing. I'm assuming that the wash is some sort of acne wash that is probably irritating your skin as well.

People have certainly been on the various boards and have commented on how their rosacea appeared to start after doing a chemical peel but many others have found it was using a number harsh chemicals for a period of time.

Have you ever looked into vitamin D3 for your acne?

vit D3 and acne

vitaminD3 and rosacea

Sarah

The only thing I use that's harsh everyday is the BHA wash.. I only use the Clindacymin and the Retin-A once every four or five days, and I always put on aloe vera afterwards, which is supposed to buffer out the Retin-A.

The articles on D3 are quite interesting.. I'll see if I can get some supplements.

And also, do you think something like Prosacea or Metrogel would help?

I used the retin A only once a week and it was still too much for me. Could you cut back on it abit more. If the acne is gone could you also stop/cut back in the BHA wash?

Not sure about prosacea but for me the metrogel is only good for getting rid of papules and not the redness/flushing. May be worth giving it ago (perhaps get the metrocream and not the gel as it will be gentler.

The best advice I could give would be to stop/reduce anything harsh and perhaps give antihistamines ago.

I'm on antihistamines (Allegra, Zyrtec made me too sleepy) for allergies already.. My problem is that I have stopped breaking out but when I don't use the BHA wash or use the Retin-A/Clindacymin I break out.. Also, I'm just using the Retin-A and Clindacymin on small areas when I get clogged pores-- when I break out I get clogged pores first that later become inflamed.

Also, I do take fish oil every day.

Could you just use the retin A and cut out the BHA? or visa versa?

I'll try cutting down the BHA wash... Although that might be hard D= I'm soo paranoid about breaking out. Is there anything that deals with flushing at all? RX or not?

Yes there are quite a few things that deal with flushing but if you are irritating the skin they may not work well.

I take propanolol for flushing (beta blocker) and many people like either moxonidine/clonidine. best just have a look around the forum and see what you think might work for you.

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I am skeptical that chemical peels would cause Rosacea. Could it be a contributing factor--certainly. A popular theory with regard to disease is the diathesis-stress model. In a nutshell you have a genetic predisposition to a disease and manifests due to environmental triggers. If you had no problem whatsoever prior to these treatments than maybe it played a role but it would be a lot more complex than pinning it solely on the peels. You also need to assess whether you had any of the symptoms, however slight, prior to starting this regimen.

I would go a little further and say that a number of small insults can have a synergistic effect in some people that in other's dont occur.

So even quite minor creams/potions/drugs can be the straw that broke the camels back. There are many people on this forum that on the face of it dont appear to have any predispostion (if we are saying that blushing/poor skin/etc is an indicator) but something has triggered their rosacea.