Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What do you want changed/added to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95301 View Post
    PLEASE extend the session timeout.

I'm constantly being logged out when I'm in the middle of something.
    Steve

I know this is an old request and assume it's been fixed but I didn't see a reply in this thread. If you stay logged-in, you don't have to worry about timing out. Otherwise, save in Word or the like before you post. Then you can just copy and paste it back in.

Jen

I used to be able to edit my posts before another member replied. Has this changed or is there a time limit...like 30 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by redhotoz View Post
    Steve

I know this is an old request and assume it's been fixed but I didn't see a reply in this thread. If you stay logged-in, you don't have to worry about timing out. Otherwise, save in Word or the like before you post. Then you can just copy and paste it back in.

Jen
    I dunno if it's been fixed or not, I haven't written anything of length in a while... It's not that I lose the post, it's just the hassle of having to log back in.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

In the Meta-forum discussion area, it would be helpful if one of the mods created a sticky topic along the lines of "Meet Your Forum Staff." What is the role of the moderator? What are the forum rules (not the legal boilerplate we click when we sign up)? If I say something controversial will it be deleted?

I've read some unsettling posts the last few days, particularly about the threat of some evildoer and his henchmen chomping at the bit to "infiltrate" and take over. I have also seen threads get locked and/or disappear, which seems a bit Draconian on a forum where registration is instantaneous (e.g., not moderator approved).

I get a sense Something Bad happened here a couple years ago, but is there really a possibility that a banned former moderator and/or owner will be able to moderate again?

I should think the current forum owner would be able to stop that. Aren't problem IP addresses tracked and/or banned? Clearly someone must own this place. Even though the software that provides the forum interface is free, domains and ISPs are not. I know; I am an admin at another forum, and the the thought of unscrupulous people running rampant with full control makes me less likely to stick around here.

Do I realize I am on a public domain? Yes. Do I still want and deserve some measure of privacy and anonymity? Yes absolutely.

Suggestion for a 'meet the mods' sticky is a pretty good one.

Yes, 'something bad' did happen here a while ago (just before my time, though not before that of some others around). Namely: a key person involved when the forum originally got started was a doctor, who also wrote a big-selling book on rosacea. Long story short, after a while it was discovered that he was involved in lots of scandals, and was eventually banned from the Forum.

Now, bear in mind the kind of condition rosacea is (very resistant to treatment in many cases) the fact that little is known about its cause, the fact that conventional doctors have a habit of brushing it off, etc etc. Well, since this doctor really seemed to know his stuff, and seemed to be selflessly contributing to this Forum and helping loads of people, understandably, there were a large number of forum members who were very attached to him. The whole thing completely polarized opinion, and there were massive arguments etc.

Upshot was that a whole slew of people got banned. Then these people would re-sign-in under different names, and the arguments would start again.

Thankfully, this is all in the past, and its been pretty quiet here for a while. Claims that there are 'dark forces lurking' are overblown.

The reason for locking/removing is simply because threads can quickly degenerate. It can seem draconian. But if you look through the Forum's archives, you'll be able to find plenty of threads where there are, say, 3 pages of insults and put-downs for every useful piece of info. This gets intimidating to new members, lowers the tone, saps energy, etc etc.

Yes, IP addresses of banned members are noted, but of course its pretty easy to sidestep. No, the forum is not about to be taken over by unscrupulous people. The Forum is owned by Warren, who pays for the space, does the techy stuff, and otherwise keeps a low profile...and to whom great gratitude is owed for all this.

There is a thread dedicated to the past. This one. Skip to post #2.

There is a forum policies sticky also. One link in it, with more rules, doesn't work. Its on a 'to be fixed' list. Well...ish.

Of course, I realized after I posted that it's really none of my business! If I don't like it, I can leave. But thank you for taking the time to let me know how things are run, and for giving me some background. It explains a lot.

I assume you are talking about N. I read his book almost 10 years ago and was impressed, but if memory serves, he made some weird claims about his health that seemed off to me. And shortly after (on Brady Barrow's yahoo list, I believe) N said some really weird conspiracy-theory things about his then ex-wife. I wrote him off at that point as a well-educated, pioneering man who possibly suffered from NPD and paid him no further attention. When I'd see a post with him ranting or overly defending himself, I'd skip it, though I admit it kept me away from these boards for many years.

So thanks for having this forum and providing a great place for people to learn and discuss options.

Now, if someone could just tweak the code to fix the damned unread posts option!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediumDog View Post
    There is a thread dedicated to the past. This one. Skip to post #2.

There is a forum policies sticky also. One link in it, with more rules, doesn't work. Its on a 'to be fixed' list. Well...ish.
    Thanks! Someone sure put a lot of effort into that debunking site.

Yes. Actually I've no idea who runs it. If you want to see what a forum looks like where N. and anti-N. are allowed to run riot, I invite you to browse this. (Get rid of the initial advert that comes up when you click on a post). Admittedly, I've had a fun 15 minutes or so reading through all that bile. But there is zero info on rosacea.

OMG. I click a thread that looks like it might be interesting, and it deteriorates almost instantly to infighting. Not from my clicking, of course. ;-)

I am so glad this forum is actually useful. And friendly.

As for the debunking site, I looked at the edit tab and saw only Admin. Someone wants to be anonymous, which would detract from the author's credibility if the content hadn't been so well organized and (so far anyway) well written.