Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I think I need to try low-dose accutane.

Default OK, I think I need to try low-dose accutane.

I have been dealing with problem skin and various skin conditions in various areas for the last 6 years. Acne like pimples has been a constant throughout, and the rosacea symptoms for the last 3 years. I now have SD as well (flaky patches on face, and dandruff.) I have stinging, flushing, redness, P&Ps, flakes, and big pores. I have tried many things for these various conditions/symptoms. One thing I have not tried yet is accutane. I am aware of the fact that at high-normal dosage it can harm the rosacea symptoms, but I have heard of the success it can have on various skin conditions at low-dose (with less chance of harm). I have a check-up with my derm on monday, and she is very caring. What are some things I should mention when discussing low-dose accutane treatment with her. Are there any studies I can print out and show her? What dosage should I recommend for my situation? (What is too high?)

THANK YOU for your help in advance

p.s.- sorry I didn't just refer to the archive, but my situation is kind of specific and there are A LOT of posts to sort through

Hi

Have moved your thread to the prescription meds section.

I would point you to this archive:

http://www.rosacea-archive.com/messa...topic-434.html

and Yvette's excellant log:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=7125

This user has been banned from this forum

I posted some articles on long term effects of low doses accutane on another forum:

http://www.smartskincare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3117

Temporary hair loss is a side effect of Accutane. I didn't believe it until it happened to me .. kind of scary. Google it and have a read.

Hi there -

Sounds like you've done some reading on Accutane and wondering if you should consider it. There are many posts to read here (I read them all - not in one night though Also, if you do a search on the Net "low dose Accutane studies" you will find several.

You may have read my log - I'm on Accutane and in month 5. My Rosacea is mild (vascular) and last year got a bout of chin acne out of nowhere. Previoulsy, I did IPL's on occassion only. Last Summer/Fall, I was on a host of antibiotics, only for the chin acne to come back. I also had IPL (new machine) and I think it made my chin acne worse.... Anyway, took the plunge and decided to go for Accutane.

In short, I love the results so far. No real acne since month two, clearer, super smooth skin! Blackheads on nose cleared out (what a relief) in month two. Low dose is key. Starting at 10mg day or every other day is good. Since month 2, I've been on 20mg day with no problems. My Derm. does agree low dose is good for Rosacea and acne - finding the right balance of Accutane to rid the acne while not "blasting" Rosacea is key. I *could* of stayed at 10mg day, however, my Derm. said that to get a cummulative dose for acne (generally 120mg total per KG of weight) I'd have to take for more than a year. Didn't want that long of a committment. I decided to go up to 20mg day, and it was fine. For some, especially those with super sensitive skin, this can be too much. Side effects have been minimal too, but at times, the achiness can uggh, be a pain!

Feel free to ask any questions. Wish you the best in your decision.

Yvette

Oops - the above post was me. Forgot to login.

Yvette

Thanks everyone.
    And yes, Yvette I read your blog. congratulations

I was wondering when you are planning on coming off the accutane, because the "after effect" of possible hair loss is worrysome. Also, I have "super sensitive skin" so maybe I should stay under 20 mg a day, right?

Hi there -

Thanks for your reply to me as well. I'm happy to share my experience and give information to consider.

By the way, are you male or female? Reason I ask, is my Derm. mentioned that in some individuals (and a higher percentage of males) experience slight hair loss or thinning on Accutane. My Derm. said if it happens, the dose can be lowered to see if it resolves. I will say, that in the last month or so on Tane, my hair seems less "full" and a *few* more strands come out after washing my hair. I wash every other day only and if I didn't use light hairspray, I could wash probably every 2 days. However, DO NOT get alarmed, I'm talking about 10-20 strands tops, which is still very normal. So, what I will say, is wash less often after you get started on Tane, wash with good shampoo (try to go to a beauty shop) and use a hair mask or good conditioner. If you see hair loss, it probably wouldn't happen for awhile as Tane needs to get in your system, but if it does, tell your Derm. right away and lower your dosage.

So dosage, yes, I would definitely stay under 20mg. especially since I read you really don't have acne, but P/P, SD, and flakiness. Sensitive skin also. The lowest dosage is 10mg (in the U.S.) and what I recommend is starting at 10mg. for atleast the first month(s). I would start at 10mg EVERY other day for atleast the first few weeks to get your body established it (I did). Don't panic when you first start, it's quite normal to feel a headache the first few days. The aches may kick in a little as you go along. In fact, it was odd that in week two, I felt my knee bone tingle just for a moment and then it went away. Wierd. Honest, for me it's mild, however, I don't know how some folks do it at higher doses! What works for me is eating good and exercising (nothing too strenous though). Take a Tylenol or Advil on occassion if you need to. If you are doing good on 10mg. every other day, then decide if you want to do 10mg every day awhile or maybe the remainder of your course. It depends how you/your skin are responding to it. Know you may not see much improvement for a few months, though I started to see slight improvements within two weeks. Month 2, I saw greater results, blackheads cleared out (yeah) and skin got softer and pores clearing. Nice!!!

Also, if you can get brand Accutane (by Roche) do so. This is because the studies on acne/Rosacea are mostly conducted using the Roche brand. If you are unable, and need to get generic, get Sotret. My Derm. recommends either brand Accutane by Roche or Sotret only. I know it may sound like their marketing, but I've been on Sotret (generic) and love it. Didn't have an IB (initial breakout) and all has gone fairly smooth. I read some data on acne.org that though the generics are essentially the same as Brand, the filling/binding agents are different and can effect absorption. This may be why my Derm. recommends Sotret (I believe it came out first as the generics too). Just putting it out there.

Here's more of the skinny or what has worked for me. Because Tane dries your skin, eyes, hair, etc... you need to use good stuff to keep hydrated and soothed. For example, your current facial cleanser and moisteriser, while it may work now, may tingle or be too harsh when you get into your treatment with Tane. I use a very hydrating, creamy cleanser (non-foamy) which soothes my skin and use MD Forte Replenishing Hydrating cream at night to comfort my slightly drier skin. Do you wear contacts? If so, put drops in even if your eyes feel the *slightest* bit of dry. Systane eye drops are good (without contacts) and Refresh Plus (with contacts in). Aquaphor for lips or good lip balm. Neosporin ointment for any dryness/slight peeling you may get in the cracks of your lips (I rarely use - more for those on higher dose that get crackly peely lips).

Sorry for the long book, just that I'm excited for you and wanted to give you extra information. Have a good appointment - discuss your questions/concerns and go from there....

Yvette

I didn't experience the hair loss until a few months post-accutane. Also, I believe it contributed to making my seb derm on my scalp 100 times worse.

The good thing about it is that my pores shrunk and I am not oily anymore on my face. Unfortunately I don't think it was worth it in the end.

Just make sure you research and read a lot before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29
    Hi

Have moved your thread to the prescription meds section.

I would point you to this archive:

http://www.rosacea-archive.com/messa...topic-434.html

and Yvette's excellant log:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=7125
    Hey phlika,
    I noticed in that post by Nase with all those references to studies, that he doesn't actually site the source?