Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: doctor recommendations -- New York City Area

Default melissa, are you still seeing dr vicki levine. i called to make an appt with her and

they said she is no longer at nyu???

Don't know about Dr. Levine, but they have a new laser doc at NYU who is supposed to be good. Abhani? Something like that. Supposedly this doctor studied with Suzanne Obagi, who I guess is responsible for the Obagi products. I haven't had any laser treatments yet.

I do see Dr. Cohen, whose name I got from Melissa and another doctor.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

PLEASE HELP ME!

i live in manhattan and suffer with facial and eye redness that popped up about two years ago in conjunction with bowel issues (messed up gut flora and high anti-gliadin antibodies and constipation). it appears that many of the doctors mentioned in this thread practice cosmetic dermatology and laser treatments and the like. i, however, am looking for a more traditional dermatologist that specializes in investigating the causes of rosacea and other forms of facial redness and that is up-to-date on the latest research between rosacea and bacterial issues.

does anybody see a doctor in the nyc area that specializes in this kind of thing? basically i just want a doctor that will not push laser treatment on me or try to slap a band-aid over this issue without really looking into it. i hate it when doctors rush me.

the one doctor i saw listed on this thread that looked promising was dr. david e cohen; can anybody else attest to this?

please let me know as soon as possible because my situation is dire.

thanks.

Default Yes I saw Dr. cohen last month...

i too was looking for a good "rosacea" derm and it turns out, this doc is pretty knowledgeable about the disease. in face he told me he founded the rosacea foundation at NYU and is the chairman. He also specializes on allergies and how they can affect the skin and rosacea. I liked him and found him very confident in his abilities to help me. (time will tell if he does, lol). I have started oracea and retin a and he said to give it at least 2-2 1/2 months. i go back to him in december and if no results we discussed putting me on low dose accutane so the jury is still out but he is very nice and thorough...didn't rush me at all. He doesn't take insurance thought which sucks. the initial consult was $350 and follow ups are around $200-$225 the receptionist said. I don't know his knowledge on the gut/rosacea connection though....

Quote Originally Posted by jaymee33 View Post
    i too was looking for a good "rosacea" derm and it turns out, this doc is pretty knowledgeable about the disease. in face he told me he founded the rosacea foundation at NYU and is the chairman. He also specializes on allergies and how they can affect the skin and rosacea. I liked him and found him very confident in his abilities to help me. (time will tell if he does, lol). I have started oracea and retin a and he said to give it at least 2-2 1/2 months. i go back to him in december and if no results we discussed putting me on low dose accutane so the jury is still out but he is very nice and thorough...didn't rush me at all. He doesn't take insurance thought which sucks. the initial consult was $350 and follow ups are around $200-$225 the receptionist said. I don't know his knowledge on the gut/rosacea connection though....
    Jaymee, these are traditional by-the-book prescriptions for acne/acne rosacea that you could get from docs who are on your insurance program. Caveat emptor.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

thank you for your response. i called his office, and it is true that he does not take insurance. the search continues...

does anybody have any other recommendations?

Default True ghost but none of the derms I have seen in the past are willing to consider the

Low dose accutane route and he is if the oracea doesn't work...

Low dose accutane route and he is if the oracea doesn't work...
    I wish you luck. Have you done the cleansings and the no-carb? I went through the antibiotics AND the accutane when I didn't know better. I wish I'd known then what I know now.

Default hey ghost, no i haven't done a cleansing or no carb. my skin problem is more of a

tissue overgrowth from years of rosacea flare ups. my actual rosacea is kept under control the past couple of years by vbeam and finacea topical. however, i noticed my nose looks larger on the left and not symmetrical. dr. cohen said it could be the beginning stages of fibrosis (tissue overgrowth from inflammation and swelling). according to all the research i have done, and speaking to a fellow rosacean who had beginning stages of rhinophyma...the only effective treatment is low dose accutane (can decrease nasal volume and shrink tissue), or co2 laser. dr. cohen suggested the oracea first b/c of fewer side effects than the accutane. i figured i would try it to see if it helps first. accutane next, then co2 last resort. i don't really have any diet triggers that i noticed. i have emotional flushing that comes and leaves quickly and really no paps anymore b/c of the finacea. i am now only trying to reduce the nasal tissue. was your experience similar or were you treating paps and redness?

tissue overgrowth from years of rosacea flare ups. my actual rosacea is kept under control the past couple of years by vbeam and finacea topical. however, i noticed my nose looks larger on the left and not symmetrical. dr. cohen said it could be the beginning stages of fibrosis (tissue overgrowth from inflammation and swelling). according to all the research i have done, and speaking to a fellow rosacean who had beginning stages of rhinophyma...the only effective treatment is low dose accutane (can decrease nasal volume and shrink tissue), or co2 laser. dr. cohen suggested the oracea first b/c of fewer side effects than the accutane. i figured i would try it to see if it helps first. accutane next, then co2 last resort. i don't really have any diet triggers that i noticed. i have emotional flushing that comes and leaves quickly and really no paps anymore b/c of the finacea. i am now only trying to reduce the nasal tissue. was your experience similar or were you treating paps and redness?
    Oops, my computer closed down as I was cogitating here. Let's see -- I had very bad redness. I mean remarkable. I mean I looked like a STOP sign. On top of that I had red lines: my cheeks looked like I was hit in the face with a jellyfish. Repeatedly. The drug therapies did squat. Lasers served to clean my face of this sickening debris (although my skin kept having more produced -- more lines and redness); it was very temporary. My nose had lots of red lines, little fissures, little holes, too (it's not a big nose) and still bears the deeper scarring, although it's not so obvious now that my skin is healthy. I healed my skin using common sense, only it took a long time for this commonsensical dawn to break.