Thread: Elidel- how dangerous is it??

Default Elidel- how dangerous is it??

I am now using Elidel every other day to control seb derm on my forehead and nose, and small patches on the sides of my face. I am also on low dose accutane 10 mg. After 48 hrs the seb derm seems to flare really bad, i use the elidel at night, and next day skin is almost clear and stays that way all day, but them the pattern develops again the day after.

After reading all the cancer scares, i'm wondering using this may eventually lead me to getting cancer of the skin.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks. Taff

My feeling is that you are the only one who can decide how safe it is depending on your tolerance towards risk. Most dermatologists throughout the world continue to prescribe Elidel and Protopic (slightly stronger i believe) and believe it to be safe. Still it remains a 2nd line drug, meaning that you should have tried other things first (like cortisone!?). The study showing a link with cancer was done on animals who were injected with large doses of the stuff. So the argument is that humans can not absorb such a large quantity through the skin...still, there is a risk i think.
    It's the only thing that effectively deals with my P&Ps but, as you said, once you discontinue use, the problem comes back, possibly even stronger. Again, like cortisone.
    I personally use it only in case of emergency (a big meeting or a stressful event) and i usually only dab it slightly on my P&Ps. I never apply it like a regular cream or lotion because i am concerned that too much would get through my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    My feeling is that you are the only one who can decide how safe it is depending on your tolerance towards risk. Most dermatologists throughout the world continue to prescribe Elidel and Protopic (slightly stronger i believe) and believe it to be safe. Still it remains a 2nd line drug, meaning that you should have tried other things first (like cortisone!?). The study showing a link with cancer was done on animals who were injected with large doses of the stuff. So the argument is that humans can not absorb such a large quantity through the skin...still, there is a risk i think.
    It's the only thing that effectively deals with my P&Ps but, as you said, once you discontinue use, the problem comes back, possibly even stronger. Again, like cortisone.
    I personally use it only in case of emergency (a big meeting or a stressful event) and i usually only dab it slightly on my P&Ps. I never apply it like a regular cream or lotion because i am concerned that too much would get through my skin.
    Thanks for your quick reply Eric. I have used it all over my face as well. Maybe i should have a break for a while.

Let me know what the accutane does for your seb derm.

I tried the same route a year ago (10 mg every other day) and only made it through a few weeks as the accutane seemed to make the seb derm worse no matter how much Elidel i used.

Some people however, swear that Low dose accutane keeps the seb derm from coming back. Perhaps I should have given it more time.

Good luck!

The accutane did help for a while, but i'm having a relapse at the minute, i had to go on antibiotics for 14 days to get rid of a peri oral dermatitis breakout i had around my mouth, which has now gone, but since then i have gone back on the accutane as you cant take both together due to causing pressure on the brain.

Because of this i have had problems with the seb derm again. Could be the antibiotics increased the yeast in my body, and has caused an imbalance again.