Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Title:Zinc dramatically reduces signs of acne rosacea.(ABSTR

Quote Originally Posted by Mashaya View Post
    My guess is the positive results of the study originally cited in this thread are due to the sulfate, not the zinc.

Tried to post a link here, but the system doesn't let me. Search keywords: "sulfate deficiency" which is a condition associated with autism & ADHD. chronic fatigue etc. I believe the impairment (impaired ability to properly metabolize sulfur compounds into sulfate) is related to heavy metal toxicity among other things.

This is from a site called Healing Autism & ADHD:

Symptoms of PST/sulfate deficiency(problems with phenols/salicylates) are reddened ears, hyperactivity, inappropriate laughter, night sweats, black under eyes, excessive thirst, eczema, facial flushing, trouble falling to sleep, disturbed sleep and odorous bed clothes
    Easy to test - just take epsom salt baths for a week (epsom salt is magnesium sulfate). If you don't have a tub, do foot baths and apply it to affected areas. It seem to be working for me.

~Mashaya[/QUOTE]

Hi Mashaya,

How has it helped you? redness? burning? p&ps?
    Doug

and how long do you need to take the epsom bath? 15 min? 30min? Same for a foot soak?
    Doug

Default More on Sulfur

Found this on Sulfur:

"Several things could go wrong if you suffer from sulfur deficiency. One of them is the inability to replace or repair tissue. You can also experience heightened sensitivity to pain. Sulfur deficiency is also associated with gastrointestinal problems, arthritis, acne and memory loss. Allergies may also become a problem, plus skin, nail and hair problems are very common".

How many of us suffer from a lot of these symptoms/issues?
    Doug

Hi Doug,

How has it helped me: I tend have p&p on my face, and as long as I do a foot bath in the evening (I don't have a bathtub!) they heal up and are barely visible. I saw the results immediately and it has been less than a week.

That said, I know I have a sulfate deficiency and that mag sulfate helps. I only developed this more aggravated form of rosacea earlier this year when I started on a medication - which exacerbated this problem (sulfate deficiency that is). I'd gotten out of the habit of using the mag sulfate, but got back to it recently and was pleasantly surprised when my skin started healing right away. It also helps me to sleep better and just generally feel better (more energetic).

The issue here is the sulfate form of sulfur specifically. If you have this problem, it's because your body isn't converting other forms of sulfur into sulfate. So you can end up with toxic concentrations of compounds like homocysteine and sulfites, as well as a deficiency of sulphate, all of which can create symptoms. Avoiding sulfites, is, I believe, one thing that will help clear up rosacea for some people, and it's well known that many people are sulfite-sensitive. For these people, the body can't detoxify the sulfites properly - and as a consequence, you can also develop a sulfate deficiency. So the best bet would be to do both - get more sulfate and avoid sulfites. There are also a number of supplements that can help these metabolic processes along.

Also, you hear of the use of sulfur for skin problems and topically sulfur can be helpful. For people who are able to metabolize sulfur efficiently, intake of sulfur in the form of MSM or lots of garlic or cruciferous veggies (like broccoli) can help the body detoxify. But if you have this problem converting sulfur and you get too much from food or supplements, you can actually create more problems. A good test for this is to do a sulfur exclusion diet for a week and see how you feel. A good percentage of people will feel much better in general. I suspect it would help the rosacea if this is part of your problem.

I'd post several links, but I guess I don't have that privilege yet. As I said, check out sulfate (as opposed to sulfur) deficiency. You'll find this mostly in relation to articles discussing mercury toxicity, autism, ADHD and also chronic fatigue.

As far as the epsom salt baths or foot soaks - certainly the longer and more often, the better. It takes time for the body to absorb it. And note that this is an internal effect - not topical. Transdermal application of the magnesium and sulphate from epsom salts is one of the best ways to get it into you (and relatively inexpensive).

~Mashaya

Default Zinc and Kallikrein 5

I think zinc2+ can inhibit kallikrein 5 (also known as SCTE), which is the suspected precursor to rosacea symptoms according to the Gallo study.

Gallo study: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0805161110.htm

Info on molecule: http://www.nextprot.org/db/entry/NX_Q9Y337
    Info on inhibitory mechanism: http://www.mendeley.com/research/str...-kallikrein-5/

The zinc2+, which comes from zinc-sulfate breaking down in water, can bind onto the offending molecule--that stops it from converting cathelecidin into inflammatory peptides, I think.

Anyway, I find that oral zinc sulfate and topical zinc sulfate help me about as much as antibiotics like minocycline. It's probably healthier too
    Last edited by Tmon912; 13th December 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Default Maybe switch to different zinc

Quote Originally Posted by burnt1970 View Post
    I have been taking 50 MG of Zinc gluconate daily for 6 months, and I can tell you I've noticed NO improvement in my skin because of it. I did notice some of the other things it's supposed to help, one of which was ED. That's right, even though I was taking Zinc for the sake of my skin it ended up improving my aging blood flow to certain areas, and pretty dramatically I must say. Of course, being in a self-imposed several years of being single (partially because of my self consciousness about my skin), it really doesn't make too much difference. Perhaps a little TMI, though this is my experience with Zinc.
    Maybe try zinc sulfate orally at higher doses, and try topical zinc sulfate.
    This site has a two dollar sample tub you can buy: http://www.ourkidsasd.com/products/2930

You can see my other post for my reasoning on why it works. It does work for me somehow.

I hear you on the dating part....years of dating great women was taken for granted...oh how I miss them. Somehow we'll kick this thing's ass or find somebody who doesn't care. There are always those out there.

where can you buy zinc sulfate? i never see it in the store?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    where can you buy zinc sulfate? i never see it in the store?

Ya...it's harder to find than some other types, that's for sure. See the link below for a cheap sample that you can use for testing. It helps me so I use the big tub, and I cut it with some other lotion so it's not so harsh. Rosacea is so broad a disease and so different for everybody that it's best to try samples when possible.

This site has a two dollar sample tub you can buy: http://www.ourkidsasd.com/products/2930

Quote Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
    And you dont get a metallic taste in your mouth from this dosage?
    No, I haven't noticed any metallic taste

I have been taking 1500 mg of MSM for about 2 months now and haven't noticed any improvement, maybe I should try the footbaths, does it help with the flushing too?