Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup for guys (or girls)

Default Makeup for guys (or girls)

Just thought I'd recommend what I've been using for about two and a half years now: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer.

There are a couple of reasons why it is good:

1) First, in general, a tinted moisturizer is easy to apply. You just put it on with your fingers, like moisturizer or suncream or whatever. Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but if you're doing it every day (twice a day), then it is. And not just in terms of time. For a guy, putting makeup on is a big deal, and the less 'wierd' the whole experience is, the better. With a tinted moisturizer, you don't have to fiddle around with brushes, powder, or any of the other stuff.

2) The 'finish' of this stuff is excellent. For a guy, you not only want to cover up the redness. You also don't want it to be apparent that you're wearing makeup - at least ideally. Now that is actually a really difficult thing to achieve. (If you actually look for these things, it is pretty obvious if someone is wearing makeup - its just that, for girls, that is not a big deal). Either because it 'dries into' your skin, thereby showing up all the lines, or because it 'cakes', or for a number of other reasons, bad makeup shows itself. But generally, this stuff doesn't.
    If I apply it well, and get the colour right etc, then even in bright daylight you probably would not be able to tell that I was wearing makeup, unless you knew I had it on.

On the other hand, there are a couple of downsides:

1) Because it is a tinted moisturizer, along with the colour, you are putting an oil (or oil substitute) on your face. If, like me, you already have oily skin, that means that after a couple of hours, the skin is going to start looking oily, as the oils and the colour in the stuff separate. Its not a massive problem - you just have to introduce yourself to the world of 'dabbing' with tissues etc. But it does mean constant maintenance.

2) Its bloody expensive

3) Unlike some makeup out there, it is not very non-transferable, nor very water-proof. So, if you touch your face, or get it wet, it is going to show.

4) Paradoxically for a moisturizer, it may be a little bit drying.

These are big downsides. But for me, they're not so big as to cancel out that one massive plus: that with this stuff on, I basically seem to have normal skin...when underneath, it is very much not normal.

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation!
    The tinted moisturizer sounds like a very good solution for those of us that don't wear makeup.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any other tinted moisturizers for sensitive skin since 'Laura Mercier' products are not sold in Israel.
    I did a little research online and found that practically every cosmetics company has at least one tinted moisturizer, but very few are suitable for sensitive and breakout prone skin.
    Did anyone try Dr. Hauschka's "Toned Day Cream"?
    http://www.drhauschka.com/holistic-p...ls.aspx?id=111
    I though i might give this a try, but I was wondering if it makes a pale complexion look darker, or blends nicely with a fair skin tone, because i don't want my face to look unnatural or tanned.

Have a great week everyone,
    Yael.

Just to add to what I said, it is very important that, if you are going to wear makeup/a tinted moisturizer, you change the rest of your skincare regeme appropriately.

Any makeup is going to irritate your skin a bit, or clog your pores, or just generally give your skin less time to breathe - probably even those ones that claim to be benefiting your skin.

So it is important that you cleanse properly. If you start wearing makeup, you may have to step up the harshness of your cleanser, or the frequency of cleansing. Maybe even have a day of the week when you 'detox' by really opening up your pores.

...And if you're doing this, you're also going to need to moisturize properly. Best to do that at night, since it can be difficult to put makeup on top of moisturized skin (its different with different people/makeup) - it kind of slides around.

In other words: I'm just saying, for guys who might not know these things, that if you start wearing makeup then part of the 'package' are these other changes. You can't really just wear makeup without these changes, otherwise after a while the condition of your skin will deteriorate.

Default tinted moisturizer

I am a guy and the tinted moisturizer had more negatives than pluses for me.

First of all it made my skin feel worse than a lighter moisturizer. Also it did not cover up the redness that well. And when I flushed I think you may have been able to see the green tint a little (I am not poistive about this). Also it made me look the rest of my face look somewhat pail.

I used a Eucerin product maybe I will try something else.

Paula's Choice makes a tinted moisturizer that is much more affordable and it dries matte. Check it out at paulaschoice.com

Hope that helps

Hi All,

Has anyone tried mineral makeup? I have heard it is supposed to be very good for sensitive skins, including rosacea. I know there are several brands, some of which produce a more natural finish than others.
    Also, 'supposedly', they are anti inflammatory, but many companies claim such a thing about their products, when in fact it isn't true.
    There isn't much of a selection where I live. I have seen a couple of brands on the internet which I am tempted to try, but hesitate going through all that hassle of ordering ( not to mention money) if mineral makeup isn't rosacea friendly at all.
    Any experience, anyone?

I have used Cory Cosmetics Mineral makeup powder (the foundation) for 2 years now, and really like it. It is one of the purest out there (i was using jane iredale b4, but found oput it contains quite a few no-no's)
    Get a few samples as u can never tell the right color until u try it out in person. I mix mine with Vanicream sunblock, or UV natuarls sunblock, and works perfectly- for a guy.

Terry

I used Jane Iredale, 'bare escentules' or something...it comes in this bottle where you can see the makeup as these little balls of colour suspended in a clear fluid.

Anyway, stay away from that stuff, its crap. It doesn't come out as a smooth liquid, but instead has all these 'bits' in it. Your supposed to be able to break them down. But, you know, I don't want to be there with my pestle and mortar every morning, grinding up my makeup...or doing so in the men's loos - what would people say

I've heard good things about Cory cosmetics too. I think its quite a small company, so might be difficult to get hold of. Easy to order over the internet though - just get a range of different colours, then you can practice at home to find the right shade.

Personally though, I wouldn't get too hung up on getting makeup that is advertised as rosacea-friendly, or be particularly drawn to makeup that says it has beneficial effects - anti-inflammatories etc.

Why? Its a matter of proportion. The effects on your skin of wearing any makeup are going to far outweigh the effects of particular ingredients (obviously I'm talking within reason. If something has an ingredient your skin can't handle, that's fair enough). I talking about all the extra washing of your face you're going to have to do (to remove the makeup; and from time to time to exfoliate, in order to get rid of stuff that has accumulated down in your pores); the occlusive effect of having a layer of stuff sitting on your face for most of the day; the drying effect (soaking up your skin's oils); the pulling and tugging of your skin as you put it on. And so on.

You'd be far better off finding makeup which was long-lasting so that it didn't constantly need replacing. Or stuff which washed off easily, so not requiring a harsh cleanser (some makeup is really difficult to get off).

Just as an example, the Laura Mercier I use has all sorts of supposedly beneficial ingredients. Anti-inflammatories, anti-oxidants, stuff that soothes, stuff that helps the turnover of dead skin, and so on (I think the woman who developed it, Laura Mercier, had rosacea. That is what is said, anyway). But there is no way in the world that the net effect of wearing it is benign.

Its like having a massive plate of chips with tomato ketchup and thinking that its good for you because tomatoes contain vitamin A, or whatever - you know. The bad is out of all proportion with the good.

So, I'm not saying that different makeup can't be better or worse; just that what makes it better or worse isn't going to be a few added anti-oxidants, or the supposed healing effects of minerals.

In my opinion, this means you're best of going for something that is well-formulated - not too heavy, not too occlusive, not too difficult to put on, long lasting, not requiring too much maintenance. And, in my opinion, this usually (though not necessarily) means paying a bit of money (no that expense is a guarantee of quality - not at all).

Just to say - I kind of want to say that I discourage the use of makeup, especially for guys. Or: if you do use makeup, you need to think about it really carefully.

For the past week and a half, I have stopped using any makeup (I've also not seen anyone other than my mother in that period - there's no way I would see anyone without it on at the moment; I'm working up to it; we'll see) and my skin has healed up to a massive degree. There's no doubt in my mind that wearing it has a bad effect. But its cumulative, and happens over a long period. After another week's healing, I could probably go back to wearing the TM, and not see bad effects for another half year.

More than this, though, you really need to think about the psychological effects. It has certainly gotten to the stage with me that I am as concerned about people noticing the makeup as I am about them seeing the rosacea. For a guy, it really messes with your mind. For obvious reasons. Its like you are playing a confidence trick with everyone you meet, daring them to remark on what they can see; or wondering whether or not they can see, etc.

Having said all that, it was absolutely indispensable for me, for a long time. It meant I could forget about the rosacea: people couldn't see it; whatever happened with my skin could be covered up; I couldn't see it; I could look in the mirror and see someone without rosacea, see my normal self. I felt normal.

But...I don't know, you've just got to be really careful. Don't let your self-image as formed by wearing makeup get too out of line with the one formed in the consciousness of having rosacea.

I could go on and on about this, but won't...

Default Makeup

Thanks for the makeup tips. I really appreciate them.
    I had been using a Lancome, pancake foundation for years. It looks like a powder, but isn't. It was in the MaquiCake UV range. Applied with a sponge and was ideal for me, as I could build it up on the pigmented areas of my face.
    Also, seeing it is sort of powdery ( initially), it was so easy to apply the lightest cover in more normal areas and over all, the effect was pretty natural. And, it camouflaged the redness to a large degree, which of course is a must!
    Just my luck, Lancome decided to discontinue it, replacing it with another, supposedly a superior upgrade. To me, 'upgrade' usually means, they have ruined it and yes indeed, they had added so much sunblock, the makeup just slid off my face. Since then, they have brought out two others. The next in line, I really liked, but then, again, they discontinued it! I did find another upgrade in the duty free at the airport, which was further ladden with sunblock, but this time round, the formula was far better. I have extremely oily skin and what with that, plus rosacea and melasma, nothing much stays on, or looks anywhere normal.
    That makes finding a suitable makeup really difficult.
    Just my luck again, this makeup was only available at the airport!
    Last week I started making enquiries about mineral makeup and tested a Jane Iredale. I hated it. Made my skin look flakey as well as being oily.
    I have never heard of Cory cosmetics where I live, so I will be searching for them on the internet.
    Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon, I popped into David Jones again, and when a sales assistant approached me asking if she could help and I said, "No thank you. Unfortunately you don't sell Maqui UV Perfect Forever", she opened up a drawer and there it was! Adding they had had it for about six months. Yet, I had been in the shop only 4 weeks ago and was told no one had ever heard of it! Not to mention all the other times I had made enquires. <sigh>
    Anyway, I am still interested in mineral makeup, as I have a damaged area of skin on my left cheek, which the Lancome tends to emphasize. Kind of crinkly. Due too massive infection. It has been alleviated greatly by the Environ skin care, so I am still hoping for further improvement.
    And, I have a couple more IPL's to go before Xmas, so I hope this year, I won't be asked to lead Santa's Reindeer team! I want to simply blend in with the background.
    Thanks again!