Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RLT choices

Hi,

I've been reading through the support archives now (finished the forum archives finally for the 2nd time LOL) and one concern that you mentioned Corinna is the heat emission.

Look at this post:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group.../message/89719

Now I'm leaning toward the acnelamp but I would like the combo red and infrared but does that emit heat too? I know the all red has the least heat emission but I know the combo is supposed to better for flushing. What an ironic twist. The very unit best for flushing can trigger it making it unusable. what's a girl to do??

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Melissa,

I ordered from heelspurs.com. I got the 126 red +NIF light, it was only 90 dollars. I will keep you posted how it works for me..Good luck..Jenn

Good luck to you too Jenn!!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I use the DPL unit (since January 2007) twice a day for 9 minutes each time and have not noticed a lot of heat emitted nor been bothered by it. In fact, I have had a lot of success with this unit in terms of decreased burning, flushing and overall redness. It's a hard decision to make and I'm sure the AcneLamp is good as well - I was certainly considering both units when making my decision. If I remember correctly in the end I felt that I would have to get at least the two if not the three headed lamp to cover all areas affected (including the chin and throat) and the DPL unit covers all those areas and has a better price point (although not as many actual lights as the AcneLamp).

As for eye protection, the lady I spoke to at the manufacturers (Marketing Manager) assured me that she had been using the DPL unit for nearly three years without goggles with no ill effects. She was using it for skin rejuvenation and only two times per week (x nine minutes each). She had recently had her eyes tested and there wasn't any deterioration in vision.

In the last couple of months I've been noticing that my eyes are very dry and itchy. I'm assuming that they are dry because even though they feel like they will start watering at any time, they never do. I've never had dry eye before so I'm assuming this is the sensation? I also seem to be very sensitive to light. I don't use goggles and because the DPL dries out my skin a bit I think it might be doing the same to my eyes, so I'm actually going to invest in the AcneLamp goggles - urgh more money. I remember reading not long ago that someone felt that RLT was greatly helping their occular rosacea (not wearing goggles) and others have not had ill effects, so who knows. You can try without and always start wearing them if you're not comfortable.

This probably hasn't helped much but thought I would share my experience.

Best of luck!

Hi Chelsey,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the DPL with me.
    You've been a big help!

I am so glad you are benefitting so much from the LLLT! That's really great news and makes me so hopeful!

I was about to go for the acnelamp because I was afraid of the heat emission issue and now based on what you experienced I'm leaning towards the DPL again.

It is a big price difference because I also decided I would need the 3 headed lamp to cover my whole face and ears.

Thanks again!
    Now, I'm just hoping Iowa David gets my PM and I can decide to buy or make a home unit.

Best of luck with your continued success!!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

My DPL unit arrived today and I just did my first session.

I am impressed with how sturdy it seems and how easy it was for me to put together.

During my 1st session (9 minutes) I felt some heat emanating from the unit and I was afraid I was going to flush. When I finished I wasn't flushed but I feel a bit on the verge.

I plan on doing a session a day and seeing how it goes.
    If my face can handle it I will go to 2 sessions a day but not until I've done at least a week or two.

If I start flushing I will move a bit further from the unit.
    Right now, I'm sitting a few inches away (instructions say 1/2 inch but that's too close for now).
    I'm also wearing my new infrared goggles and I actually feel comfortable keeping my eyes open but I probably shouldn't. I'm always trying to multitask LOL.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this decision (especially Corinna)and thanks to IowaDavid who emailed me the instructions/plans on how to build my own which if this works out is the next step. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out and I can handle the therapy without flushing!

Thanks again,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Congratulations! It is a pretty sturdy unit, but if you move it do it from the base. I found that the panels come away pretty easy when they are handled. On that note, the panels coming away is very handy! This will help with your multi-tasking I think. I like to relax when I use my RLT device. I use 20 minute sessions and catch myself waking with a start around the 15 minute mark it so very relaxing.

I look forward to 'hearing' how you progress with this. If you would consider posting a journal on this I suspect it would be very useful for those just starting out.

Best wishes,
    Corinna

Absolutely Corinna.
    I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW I love your avatar!

All the best,
    Melissa

I am so pleased that you are using this, Melissa. I have high hopes.

Good timing too. I can just imagine you strolling along a snowy Fifth Avenue, popping into Versace and Gucci to buy Chritmas pressies for loved ones, all the while being completely unmoved by the blasts of warm air that greet you as you enter each store!

I think the mix of red and near-infrared is a winning combination.

Thinking aloud here (and I would love to hear from Corinna on this): many of us have seen considerable benefits from red ( in a number of notable cases for many years). I have seen discernible additional benefits from using near-infrared. Corinna has experimented with differnet wavelengths for other conditions and seen benefits. Dr Johnson has suggested the use of yellow... etc etc

Are we merely scratching the surface here? Playing it safe? What additional benefits might be seen by trying far-infrared, possibly at higher intensities etc (assuming the skin is given time to adjust etc etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by GJ
    I am so pleased that you are using this, Melissa. I have high hopes.

Good timing too. I can just imagine you strolling along a snowy Fifth Avenue, popping into Versace and Gucci to buy Chritmas pressies for loved ones, all the while being completely unmoved by the blasts of warm air that greet you as you enter each store!

I think the mix of red and near-infrared is a winning combination.

Thinking aloud here (and I would love to hear from Corinna on this): many of us have seen considerable benefits from red ( in a number of notable cases for many years). I have seen discernible additional benefits from using near-infrared. Corinna has experimented with differnet wavelengths for other conditions and seen benefits. Dr Johnson has suggested the use of yellow... etc etc

Are we merely scratching the surface here? Playing it safe? What additional benefits might be seen by trying far-infrared, possibly at higher intensities etc (assuming the skin is given time to adjust etc etc)?
    Well, if you've always wanted to be a baked potatoe! I wonder if we'll each need different times to cook... Seriously though, saunas are sold which use far infrared and there are healing attributes marketed along side, whether it be from a good sweat or a good internal cook off I have no idea.