Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RLT choices

Default RLT choices

Hi,

I know there are a zillion great threads on this topic but I wanted some advice.

I am about to take the RLT plunge and have narrowed it down to two devices.

One is
    http://www.acnelamp.com/product.php?id=1032

and the other is
    http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/LEDtechnology.html

My main symptoms are flushing/burning and so I would get a mix of red and infrared lights.

I'm looking for ease of use and prefer to be sitting vs. laying down.

Does anybody have any advice as to which might be better or any other comments?

Thanks,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I have the DPL unit and found the higher ratio of NIR to Red LEDs (154 @ 880nm vs 20 @ 660nm) was too much for my steroid-thinned skin to handle. I love the unit though! It has a sturdy plastic construction which feels good and solid and the design is flexible -- I removed the panels from the stand and can use both or just one. I use these units (I've got two of the DPL unts) for aches and pains, not for my skin.

As far as coverage goes, I think that the DPL is really well designed. When I was trying it on my face I would just put it on a table and lean into it. It runs for 9 minute sessions and beeps every minute to let you know where you're at time-wise. The eye shields that are included a little black oval stickers. Totally useless, but the site/literature reassures that no eye damage has resulted from use and I agree with that. I do not use goggles, it is a personal decision though!

This is the first unit I saw mentioned when I was going through the archives here and as far as I have been able to determine there are a few folks that have it and everyone (else) seems to like it very much.

I bought a different style of unit from the folks at Acnelamp, but I've read so-so reviews on the build quality and feeling of value for your money. It is a nice looking set up though and I believe the heads are interchangeable. Someone who uses it will need to comment on it further.

Congratulations on taking the leap. I hope you have as much success with LLLT as many others have experienced.

Best wishes,
    Corinna

Thanks Corinna,

I appreciate the info.

I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Corinna,

I have another question.

If I get the DLP unit with all those infrared panels is it simply enough to keep my eyes shut? Or should I purchase goggles specifically for blocking out infrared? I remember reading that for red you don't need goggles but for infrared you really do.

I would rather be conservative on this point as I am nervous about potential damage. Acnelamp sells special block out (or is it black out?) goggles for infrared for $125. If I get the DLP unit would that be a good option (expensive option for sure)? Or do you feel pretty confident about keeping your eyes shut being good enough?

I am still so confused about RLT (and infrared) even after all the reading I've been doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but for flushing people find infrared in conjunction with red works best.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

If you want to err on the side of caution get the goggles for sure. I do not use eye protection but do keep my eyes closed. The initial brightness can cause discomfort but it passes. I tried those metal goggles from Acnelamp when I got my Dimalux unit and found them uncomfortable. I've got large eyes and they didn't cover the socket area by a long shot, but they may fit the average eye.

There are folks that post here who believe that the NIR can cause eye problems, while I have determined the opposite in my reading. It is the 'Blue' end of the spectrum that is the concern, we use a frequency on the opposite end, and the NIR frequency in the arrays we use is so very near red that it is not thermal. If the LEDs give off heat it is more likely due to the arrays manufacturing process. (BTW, the DPL does give off some heat.) However, there is that ol' saying: 'better safe than sorry.' I know that Iowa David is starting to use his array with no eye coverage, but I think he's got all red LEDs. It might be worth having a poll on the topic!

As far as what works best for flushing, I'm not sure there is a consensus on that. Some folks use Red only, some Red+NIR. I found the red very calming and it helped my flushing and redness, and my skin discomfort. When I had used it for a while I added in the NIR. Could be just accumulated time using LLLT, but I do feel the improvements were greater. I look forward to the day when this is properly studied for our affliction.

I'm not sure if I have been any help, I don't seem to have decisively answered your questions.

Best wishes,
    Corinna

Hi Corinna,

You are always a great help!
    Thank you so much.

I am bleary eyed from reading and rereading the old threads on LLLT.
    It's exhausting and it has all stopped making sense about an hour ago LOL!

I PM'd IowaDavid earlier about making my own. My husband is very handy and he could probably make a good one for me but I think we need David's input on this...specs and such.

Anyway, you have been a huge help I just am very indecisive as of late. I seem unable to make choices. Maybe the rosacea is affecting my brain LOL.

The fact that the DLP unit emits heat is a concern as my main trigger for flushing is heat. :?

Thanks again for all the info. I will wait to see if IowaDavid can email me the specs I need to make my own.

I am definitely ready to begin LLLT for sure!
    I will keep you posted.

All the best,
    Melissa

Building your own is a great way to go, if you are handy or are married to someone handy. One industrious fellow posting here put computer fans in his array, much like my Dimalux has. Fans are very nice.

Good luck with this Melissa. I look forward to hearing how you make out with this.

Melissa,

I am using red + NIR and mine does through off a little of heat, but not enough to say so. I have found since I have been using it more that I feel a burning sensation while and a little bit after use, BUT I also turn white after using it and the burning goes away quickly. I was out running around all day and it was 94 degrees out and I did not turn red once, nor did I feel any burning. I am though wondering if it is causing me to have that burning feeling more but it is strange because my burning sensations are not as strong, so I do not know as of yet the final result.

I do not wear goggles. I did in the beginning feel some discomfort but has gone away now. I of course have bleph so I do not want eye coverage. Also, I wanted the NIR because I thought it would go deeper so would heal me better but that is just a thought of mine. I will keep you and everyone posted about my experience with this as soon as I decide the final result. Hope this helps..Jenn

Thanks Jenn,

I am excited to get started!

I am just waiting to hear from Iowa David about his thoughts on having my husband build a unit for me. David may be away on vacation or something as it's the end of the summer and all. I am going away for 2 weeks Sept 29-Oct 14 so in any case if I order a unit I will do it so it arrives around the time I get back from vacation. But if David gets back to me before then maybe my husband can build me a unit. I just want to get started already LOL!

Thanks for your input Jenn. BTW which unit did you order?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I just received a reply fromPaul Hamel at the light therapy company that makes the DLP unit I am interested in. He says it's perfectly safe to use the unit without goggles.

Here is his reply:

To: "'melissa w" <melissa w
    Subject: RE: WWW Form Submission
    Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:08:05 -0500

Melissa,
    No the infrared/red are both always on and cannot be switched separately.
    Although, I am not sure why you would want to turn either off. The light is
    safe to use without goggles. But the kit comes with black stickers that can
    be put over the eyes.
    paul

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:02 PM
    To: contact@lighttherapyproducts.com
    Subject: WWW Form Submission

Subject: Question

Home Page: http://

I have rosacea with symptoms consisting of flushing/burning. I am
    interested in purchasing your DPL unit but was wondering if the red/infrared
    could be switched with all red. Also, are goggles included that will
    protect against infrared?

Thanks,
    Melissa
    Last edited by Melissa W; 28th April 2009 at 01:26 AM.