Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How I cured my rosacea

I picked up HCl at a health food store.

If you are interested in getting some, I recommend that you get Betaine-HCl with Pepsin enzyme in it. Also, get capsules instead of tablets... capsules break apart faster. Take one capsule about 5 minutes before a meal, and see if you feel any burning discomfort. If you feel fine, take two at your next meal and see how you feel.

For myself I have discovered that I feel better with them.

Here is a very good article about low stomach acid caused by stress...

http://www.consciouslivingsystems.com/gpage6.html

That was my case, I am young (21 years old) but as a teen I was always stressed out. I had a LOT of anxiety issues. Everything in that article relates to me so well. For me it started out with an ulcer and it went from there. I have most of the symptoms that they describe in this paragraph...

In men or women hypochlorhydria can contribute to a wide variety of problems. These can include obvious things like dry, scaly skin and brittle, lifeless hair. It can also cause a person to feel fatigued and/or listlessness. Most commonly, it causes digestive problems like gas, indigestion, constipation and/or diarrhea. It can also cause a variety of sugar-handling problems ranging from hypoglycemia to diabetes, as well as a variety of circulatory problems ranging from out of balance blood pressure (high or low relative to the person’s age and body type) to tachycardia, arrhythmia, heart disease and stroke. Long term it can create immune system problems ranging from an increased susceptibility to insect stings, infections and colds to the various forms of cancer.

The first thing that I noticed after my first week of taking HCl is that my hair, which I thought was dried out and damaged from blow-drying, became smooth and silky. I have noticed other improvements as well, but I won't get into all of that.

If those symptoms are familiar to you, perhaps you have low stomach acid as well.

The reason why I chose to use tea tree oil instead of permethrin, is that I read a couple articles on the internet that mites were becoming more resistant to prescriptions such as permethrin, and I also felt that permethrin might be too harsh on my face. However, other people have had success with permethrin so I have nothing against it, I just chose a different route.

Good luck with everything you do, and if you try the HCl, let me know how it turns out for you !

Hello,
    Interesting thread. I think that if something works (maybe it does, or maybe it dosen't) go for it.
    But just FYI, an infection doesn't cause decreased WBC's (white blood cells), it causes an increase in WBCs, or leukocytosis. It makes sense if you think about it -- the body is increasing the nos. of WBCs (esp. neutrophils) to fight the infection. This is also observed as a "shift to the left" (increase in immature neutrophils or 'bands').
    HIV and chemo cause a decrease in the WBC count by directly destoying the WBCs.
    Also, TCN is not one of the antibiotics known for killing the GI enteric bacteria (as is clindamycin, maybe amoxicillin, etc). Also be aware that "probiotics" (what does this mean, anyway?) are not proven to work, in any case. In the retail pharmacy I work part-time, I get calls from salesmen trying to get me to offer their "probiotic" products. I have to tell them that I am not going to recommend a product that (even) in theory simply does not work (how is taking a supplement going to increase the numbers of normal flora (NF)? Think about it. And again in any case, not all antibiotics target and thus alter the NF of the small intestines and colon.
    Just FYI.
    Perry

Aren't you not supposed to take HCl supplements while on tetracycline? Or is that only minocycline?

Probiotics are getting more attention lately. I'm always on the hunt for things that will help my gut, and my skin (I have eczema as well as rosacea and both are affected by what I consume.) For the record I have a terrible gut, and as I age it gets more bothersome.

Here some links to studies that may be helpful if you are feeling unsure of the positive benefits of probiotics.

Effect of probiotics on gastrointestinal symptoms and small intestinal permeability in children with atopic dermatitis
    http://www.upwardquest.com/03-benefi...esophagus.html

EFFECT OF PROBIOTIC LACTOBACILLUS STRAINS IN CHILDREN WITH ATOPIC DERMATITIS
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...114/2/S1/521-a

Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic disease:
    A randomised placebo-controlled trial

http://www.health-report.co.uk/probi...ic_disease.htm

There's lots more if you google it. All from credible, qualified sources.

Best wishes with your continued success!

Hi,
    Interesting post, TP.
    Maybe the point of my post was not clear in that there is no conclusive evidence that the use of probiotics (and I should have specified whether LIVE cultures or not) decreased the risk of antibiotic induced colitis (the links you posted had nothing to do with this).
    Anyway, ask youself this question: Who don't the manufacturers of antibiotics recommend the use of these products if they are shown to work? Also, if they DO work, why don't (really) qualified souces, such as the Infectious Disease society of America, endorse them?
    Please note that even if a few studies DO support their use, this does not mean proof or general acceptance by the scientific community (such as the FDA (and folks have been using buttermilk and live-cultured yogurt for this purpose forever).
    Finally (and this is something that I didn't realize until studying the statistics of clinical trials in pharmacy school: As one can use the internet and find practically any study to validate any claim...it takes many such studies (with like results) before general acceptance of the scientific community is given. Why? Many studies are -- simply -- bad studies. This last point in a very important point that would have serious implications if one was in the business of recommending a product for medicinal use (based on the preponderance of clinical evidence, that is).
    Enough rambling for tonight.
    Regarding this, please let us know what you find.
    WAR EAGLE, everyone!
    Perry

Your post dismissed probiotics out of hand. I disagreed with that.

Hi TP,
    I do dismiss them out-of-hand, just as I dismiss every OTC diet remedy and OTC herbal (just about ANY OTC). Until sufficient study is done and evaluated by qualified experts (e.g. FDA), then the risks of recommending, say, Ginko biloba, is simply not worth either the potential health risks or money spent.
    Thats the great thing about our (USA) FDA, its slow, but thorough.
    The real enemy here, as I've come to learn, are all the companies selling this junk. Simply to make money (the particular company wanting me to sell their probiotic product (which incedentally contained no live cultures) and had fabulous claims with charts and graphs and using the same studies you posted, claimed that their "nutrients" supported growth of enteric bacteria and eliminated yeast infections. Even if the tablets (note 'tablets') contained live culture...how to you go from the colon to the vagina??? Irritates me when I think about it -- just out to make money off folks who know no better (maybe this is the reason for my rant tonight). No more, I promise. If you do happen to come across anything interesting, I'd be grateful to hear it (either public or PM).
    Thanks for the interesting discussion.
    Perry
    p.

Hi Lindsay

All of what you are trying at the moment makes sense to me and I can understand how it would help to improve your Rosacea symptoms.

I too suffered from the dreaded yeasty beasty when I took antibiotics. Whilst main stream may not give much credence to yeast overgrowth, I do believe there is enough out there to take the issue into serious consideration.

Wishing you continued clearance and please do keep us posted on your progress.

Jen

//

Sorry for interfering this thread but I'm just curious what the potential health risks of Ginko biloba are..

I was advised to use it a few years ago. I never did though..