Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How I cured my rosacea

Default How I cured my rosacea

Hi,

I've been on the antibiotic tetracycline for a few years for rosacea. But I hated it, it caused me to get chronic yeast infections, and I had very little libido while on the antibiotic. So I've been doing a lot of research lately to try to get off it. And I believe I have cured my rosacea naturally.

I found some research that said that many rosacea patients have low stomach acid (hypochloridia). So I followed the advice I found and bought some HCl supplements with Pepsin enzymes. I bought capsules instead of tablets because capsules break apart faster. To see if I had low stomach acid, I took one capsule with a meal. I would think that if I already had enough stomach acid, I would feel discomfort or burning from the capsule. But I felt fine. I started taking 1-2 capsules with each meal for a week, while continuing taking the tetracycline. I also read that rosacea can be aggravated by demodex skin mites, (many rosacea patients have an abnormally large population of these mites) so I decided to treat for that as well. I washed, exfoliated, and dampened my face, hair, chest and back, and liberally applied undiluted tea tree oil to the damp skin (i recommend that the ingredient list say Oil of Melaleuca Alternifolia, that is the most quality oil). I spread a large towel over my sheets and left the tea tree oil on overnight. I did this for the next couple nights, and then I reduced it to just on the face at night. I really think it helped, especially on my nose where I think I had a lot of mites. I had redness and acne there, but now it is gone, and no acne there. I now use the tea tree oil on my face at night, a couple times a week. Not difficult at all.

Anyways, after about a week of stomach acid supplements and tea tree oil, I decided to go off the tetracycline and see what happens. I feared the worst because in the past if I went off my tetracycline for a few days, my rosacea would flare up badly. But it's now been 7 days since I last took any tetracycline, and my rosacea is gone! My face isn't flaring up at all. There is a little bit of mild redness on my cheeks, but it doesnt look any different from a girl who doesn't have rosacea. I would say it is 90% cured.

So I've been taking high quality probiotics to fix the internal damage done by the tetracycline. I recommend UDO's choice, that is a very good brand. Keep them in the refrigerator and take 3 capsules a day, after a meal. I've also been taking vitamin, omega fatty acids, and mineral supplements.

I always thought my hair was very dry from blow drying too much, but after a week of taking HCl supplements with meals, my hair is smooth and silky. And my skin looks great. I'm so happy to be off the tetracycline.

To any girls out there - the tetracycline caused me yeast infections, and also other bacterial infections that I saw a gynocologist for and will begin treatment for. If you have any discharge, talk to a gynocologist. They will prescribe a cream you can insert for 10 days, it's very easy.

It's wonderful that you have had success with your findings and regimine, but isn't it a little soon to declare yourself cured after 7 days of being off antibiotics? For your sake, I hope it's true, but keep us posted in the meantime. Good Luck!

in the past if i missed a dose of tetracycline, my rosacea would flare up within a day or so. so i think it is very encouraging that i've been off antibiotics for seven days without any rosacea. i really think i'm cured, but i will keep you posted !

i just hope my advice helps someone out there, that's why i've posted it

linda say,

what sub-type of rosacea do you have? The term "flare-up" is confusing... do you mean you get the acne-like P&Ps? Do you flush at all? Flushing is the hardest part of rosacea to treat, so let us know if you have that or not. Thanks,
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL

yes i had red flushing, and i also had papules. the tetracycline took that away, but if i missed a dose of tetracycline it would start coming back.

I don't think I've ever heard of tetracycline taking care of flushing. I have taken tetracycline, doxy (periostat) and minocycline (minocin & solodyn) and none have done anything for my flushing.
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL

I don't know, it worked for my flushing.

My Dr. told me that ab's work for flushing and burning also..hmmm...although this Dr. thinks that rosacea is not a big deal also..Jenn

UPDATE:

Last night I noticed that the flushing was coming back. There was a red area about the size of a quarter on my lower right cheek and a larger area on my upper left cheek. I hadn't been using the tea tree oil for the past few days so I decided to do that again and see if it would help. I washed and exfoliated my face, and then liberally applied undiluted tea tree oil to my damp face, leaving it on over night. This morning I washed my face and reapplied the tea tree oil, leaving it on for about 30 minutes before my shower.

It worked. As of 5pm this evening, the redness is much fainter, almost gone. I'm going to use the tea tree oil again tonight. Seems I still have a problem with demodex mites.

That doesn't surprise me. According to my various research that I've found on the internet, immune compromised people, such as those with HIV, often have a problem with demodex mites. I don't have HIV, but I do know that my immune system is compromised. My last blood test just a few weeks ago showed that I have a bit of a low white blood cell count, which means the body is fighting an infection of some kind. I have had chronic yeast infections due to my antibiotic use, however now that I am off the antibiotics and taking probiotics, this has been much improved.

I believe that I have nutrient deficiences due to being on the antibiotic for so long and killing off all the good bacteria in my stomach. So I believe that over time my immune system will get stronger as my body recovers. This is only the 9th day I've been off the antibiotic. I believe that as my immune system recovers, I will have less of a problem with demodex mites, and will hopefully in the future get to a point where I won't have to use the tea tree oil at all. But for now, obviously I still need it.

I wish I had thought to take a photo of my flushing before I used the tea tree oil, so that I could show you the before and after pics. I will remember to do so next time.

Lindsay

hmm... this is very interesting.

I was wondering where you picked up HCL ? Just any health food store?

I also share alot of the same ideas you have about rosacea, and, read the using the scabies cream with 5% permethrin in it also does the trick quite well.

I am happy to hear things are going well for you.