Thread: puffy eyes

Default puffy eyes

I used to constantly get eye infections, even had a doc want to do a biopsy on my eye. Erythromycin or the drops they give immediately made it 100 times worse. I thought it was the infection not responding to those medicines, but I finally, after 10 years or so of recurrent eye infections, found an excellent eye doctor who took one look at me and said it was related to the rosacea. She also told me those antibiotics didn't work for me because I'm probably allergic to them. She gave me tobradex, which works great when I've got an infection, but what I need is help with just day to day issues. My left eyelid is swollen most of the time. I had another eye doc who told me it was the result of my previous infections, that the muscles had relaxed and it could be fixed with plastic surgery. Can you imagine if I had done it? After taking the tobradex I've had days where my eye looked completely normal, but usually it's swollen, especially lately. Anything work well for other people? I've been lazy about the shampoo wash lately, but I have no stys or irritation, just swelling. Anyone?

Hi,

I would recommend cold compresses for lid swelling. It will make you feel better also.

Be careful about using tobradex too often as it has a steroid in it. That's why it makes your eye calm down but I'm not sure about using steroids for ocular rosacea. I know it's a big no no for rosacea in general. Probably infrequent use of tobradex is OK.

I would resume lid scrubs once a day ie at night just to maintain good ocular hygiene. It can only help.

Hope you find some of this helpful.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

thankyou, I dug out the baby shampoo last night to do just that. Also, I don't use the tobradex for the puffy eyes, and I don't use it for irritation, I only use it when I get a full blown infection. I just wanted to clarify about the compresses though, use cool ones, not hot or warm? I always was told warm when I had styes, so I've always done warm or hot. Cool seems like it would be much more calming.

Warm compresses are for styes and chalazions to open them up and allow them to drain.

Cool compresses are for swelling and calming.