Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis - This really works for me

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis - This really works for me

Let me preface this by saying I have had Rosacea and Seb Dermatitis since I was very young.. I for sure had dandruff problem since I was 11 or so... (now im 30 years old) and I have tried almost every medication or OTC shampoo, cream, soap, etc... out there.

I have found from many years of trial and error. I used to only use Unfiltered apple cider vineger not diluted by water which many who have dandruff say helps. I can say it helps but it way to strong and takes time for your skin to get used to.

This is exactly what has helped me that I made up this mixture just his past year and its the best thing for people seborrheic dermatitis.

What I found works best for seborrheic dermatitis is mixing head&Shoulders dandruff shampoo with water and organic apple cider vineger and washing your face and scalp with it a couple times a week. I live in America so not sure if the below product brands are sold over seas...

exact mix is:
    Code:
    1/3 cup water
    1/3 cup Organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (I use bragg apple cider vinegar)
    couple squirts of Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo and conditioner
    tiny splash of Tea Tree Oil
    1. Mix all ingredients in a cup...
    2. wet hair
    3. apply mixture to scalp, face, and other affected areas...
    4. Leave on for a couple minutes and wash off... repeat if necessary.
    5. repeat 3x a week and I gaurantee it will keep dandruff and seb derm at bay

Why the above works?:
    first, unfiltered apple cider vineger has 5% acidity in which acidity on the skin fights infection and kill bacteria. Second, Tea tree oil is a know natural antbactierial and antifungal. Third, Head & Shoulders contains 1% Pyrithione Zinc which is known antidandruff ingredient that has been used for many years in OTC products.

If anyone else trys my method, please post below your experience as I have been a member of the Rosacea community boards for many years now and I appreciate when people share what works for them.

/polster

Just on the topic of SD, do people actually grow out of it? I've had it all over my face for about 6 years and it doesn't even look like going away :s

I've had it for about 12 years and it hasn't faded in that time. It is a chronic condition, so usually a very long time and probably for life. Genetics are a real bitch!

No SD doesnt go away because its a genetic condition tied to the oil glands. This is why I found my mixture works best for me. It cleans out the oily skin and kills the bacteria on the skin and controls the dandruff.

If I wash my face/scalp with my mixture of organic unfiltered apple cider vinergar/water/head&shoulders/ and tea tree oil 3 times a week it seems to keep the seb derm at bay for a couple days.

I never claim my mixture is a cure, but it is what helped me to control the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis.

Sources:
    http://www.curezone.com/blogs/m.asp?f=179&i=23

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w98/teatrees.html

do you have it all over your face? also, sorry if this is annoying, but how much exactly is a couple squirts and a splash? Usually tea tree oil comes in a dropper, so how many drops would you say? and it's hard to know just how much head and shoulders to put in. if you could try to be a bit more specific, it'd really help.

Sorry, thought of more questions. do you apply any kind of moisturiser after this? what do you use to cleanse on days that you don't use this mixture? do you cleanse once or twice a day.

thanks a lot.

Just on the topic of SD, do people actually grow out of it? I've had it all over my face for about 6 years and it doesn't even look like going away :s
    Mine has come and gone over the two years i've had it, even though i treat it the same mine often will go away for a few months (once even for 6 months) before coming and going again.

before I started with rosacea and just had SD to deal with, I didn't really do much to keep it at bay. I ate anything I wanted - sugar, wheat and dairy. The SD would peak every now and again for about 4 days, then it would dissapear for weeks.

Now I don't eat sugar, wheat or dairy (havn't for a whole year!) its worse than ever... though distinguishing between SD and rosacea redness is the biggest head-scratcher for me

sounds identical to me flemmo :s

just tried this mixture without the tea tree oil. my face is stinging so bad! i think it's the apple cider vinegar, because another cleanser i use has the same active ingredient as head and shoulders and doesn't affect me like this. i'll have to try head and shoulders on it's own to see what it was in the mix. my face is so red. it is smoother, but i don't think it's worth the pain im in now argh!!!

oh well, onto the next thing to try.