Thread: Need opinions

Default Need opinions

Hi there,

I need some opinions. While I realize that no one can give me a definate answer, I would like to hear some opinions.
    I have no flushing, no blushing and no permanent redness, only P+Ps. I have been using red light (acnelamp with red + nearinfared) for about
    2 1/2 months. My skin seems to be improving, although I am not sure if it is from the light, the metro cream, or other things I am trying.
    My question is: After I use the light, my face often looks 'splotchy'. I can sit down in from of the light with a pale face, but after using it I appear to have increased red color. The patches of red seem to be in my most affected rosacea areas and often around healing P+Ps.
    Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Any ideas?
    I worry that I am aggrivating my rosacea, as the increase in redness worries me, but I also wonder if it is just the increase in blood flow because it is healing. The red splotches usually subside with 20 minutes of using the light.
    I was using my light 3 xs a day, but have cut it back to 1, as I am worried about the splotchy look after use. I don't seem to be experiencing any increase in P+Ps, but am still worried. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea if this is a good thing, or a bad thing?
    Thanks for any opinions.

Naun

thats weird, because most people report that there face is quite pale after a session. if you only have the acne portion of rosacea then i don't think red light will help you all that much.

I know, I've read lots where people claim that they actually look paler after use and yet I seem to definately look splotchier (sorry bad speller).
    I wasn't sure if the red light would help with my P+P's and I can't seem to find any info on that. I know it has helped lots with the flushing/blushing and permanent redness.
    I was hoping that if it acted as an antiinflamatory that it would also help with my bumpy skin. Has anyone had any luck with red light helping them with P+P's?
    Thanks,

Naun

Naun,
    Are you still using red light? I've been wading around the old threads and you seem to be like me, no flushing but p&ps. Oracea has helped me a lot, but my forehead still breaks out on occasion, and I am curious if this type of therapy would be helpful. Also I'd like to improve the condition of my skin. The claims of less wrinkles with red light would be a plus...

Hey Patty,

Yes, I am still using my red light, but I am not sure if it is helping or not.
    I have no permanent redness, or flushing/blushing. I only have P+P's.
    I am continuing to use the red light in the hopes that it reduces inflamation and therefore might have a benifit to my overall condition.
    I am still finding that after I use it I become 'splotchy' looking and still have concern if it is helping, or harming. I would like to think it is helping.
    I am using Rosasol cream (Canadian generic metro cream) and just started taking doxy (50mg). I am hoping that something helps, as I am soooooooo sick of the papuales.
    If you start using the red light, let me know what you think. I would be curious to see if you think it helps your P+Ps.
    There are a lot of people who feel that it really helps their redness and flushing, but i have found little to support it helping with P+Ps. Although I figure if it has an antinflamitory effect, it might help with my overall condition.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Naun

Thanks Naun,
    I'm not jumping in on this quite yet. I've been on Oracea since April, so I know I have to give the med more time. But using red light is very intrigueing to me as I feel the same way that it might help my skin look and feel healthier overall.
    Is there anyone else that uses red light for p&ps?

I guess it helps me with that. I took antibiotics for a while,
    but stopped that when I started with red light, and it seems
    to control it.

Default Re: Need opinions

Quote Originally Posted by naun
    Hi there,

I need some opinions. While I realize that no one can give me a definate answer, I would like to hear some opinions.
    I have no flushing, no blushing and no permanent redness, only P+Ps. I have been using red light (acnelamp with red + nearinfared) for about
    2 1/2 months. My skin seems to be improving, although I am not sure if it is from the light, the metro cream, or other things I am trying.
    My question is: After I use the light, my face often looks 'splotchy'. I can sit down in from of the light with a pale face, but after using it I appear to have increased red color. The patches of red seem to be in my most affected rosacea areas and often around healing P+Ps.
    Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Any ideas?
    I worry that I am aggrivating my rosacea, as the increase in redness worries me, but I also wonder if it is just the increase in blood flow because it is healing. The red splotches usually subside with 20 minutes of using the light.
    I was using my light 3 xs a day, but have cut it back to 1, as I am worried about the splotchy look after use. I don't seem to be experiencing any increase in P+Ps, but am still worried. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea if this is a good thing, or a bad thing?
    Thanks for any opinions.

Naun
    It may be that the RLT is suppressing the small amount of background redness, and it makes your acneform components stand out more than usual. That's just a guess, though--I don't have papulopustular rosacea. The anti-inflammatory action of RLT may, over time, reduce your acneform symptoms. I don't know about that, though--we just don't have enough sufferers that have reported anecdotal evidence with RLT in the various subtypes. I find it hard to believe RLT can exacerbate rosacea, though, no matter your subtype. Keep us posted.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default Update

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would post an update. I have been trying to avoid the message board a bit, as I find I just get too obsessive about my skin when all I do is read and read about rosacea. I have been blue lately about the disease and have been trying not focus on it so much (although that is pretty impossible. LOL)
    However, I really appreciate all the info I gather off of this site and as such, I feel I should also try to 'give-back' because I find this site such an awsome resource.
    So, I am still using my red light, but had not been sure if it was helping or not. Since I have no permanent redness, or flushing/blushing, I had been confused if the light was really helping me at all. However, I have noticed that I am not getting as many papuales, as I did before and the ones I get, seem to heal MUCH faster than they used to. So with that in mind, I guess I do feel the light is having some positive effect on my condition.
    I no longer am getting the 'splotchy look' that I used to after using my light and generally feel that my red light is worthwhile to continue to use.
    I will contine to note and improvements and continue to post my results.
    Please excuse my spelling, it is not great at the best of times and I am actually getting quite tired. LOl
    Again, thanks to everyone who posts so that I can lean more and to all the moderators who do so much and make this board a great place to learn.

Shaunna

Hi Shaunna,

That's great news and thanks so much for sharing that with us.

It comes at a good time for me as I am having some problems with my skin lately (a few p&p's and irritation) and I started low level light therapy (DPL-combo infrarared mainly and some red) 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if it was a possibility that the light therapy was causing this but have decided that I need to continue for at least a couple of months to give it a chance.

I am so glad you're doing well and also that you came back to let us know.
    Best of luck for your continued success and please do keep us posted.

Best wishes,
    Melissa