Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seb Derm - What's worked for you?

Default Seb Derm - What's worked for you?

I've read through every thread here about seb derm, and thought it'd be great for everyone to post things that have been successful for them. It doesn't have to be a cure, just things that could help someone else. It'd be great to have this information in one thread (please leave questions/discussion out of it, so it's easy for people just to scroll through and get some ideas).

I'll start.

Things that have helped:

*QV intenstive moisturiser http://www.egopharm.com.au/Products....133&RangeID=27
    This is by no means a cure, but it's one moisturiser that has helped me. It doesn't get rid of scales magically or anything, but it makes them soft so if you're careful, you can gently rum a lot of the scaling off while you're applying the moisturiser. Note - the best way I can describe it is a vaseline like texture. it may be a problem for people prone to acne, but it hasn't been too bad for me. The thing I like about it is it's clear. For me, when I apply a white moisturiser, it doesn't really absorb and leaves a white cakey look on my face, so I always use clear products now (I use Cetaphil gentle cleanser). I'm not sure if you'll be able to get it outside of Australia.

*Laser
    I had 3 laser treatments, and while it didn't help my seb derm directly, i think it did help the tone of my skin. I was getting the laser for broken vessels. Now if I can get my seb derm under control, I have almost flawless skin. Unfortunately that's easier said than done and you all probably know. I had acne prior/during seb derm, so I had quite a few red spots, which is why I had the treatments.

*Supplements
    While it's hard to tell whether these help or not, I do take Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Zinc supplements. I don't think they've caused any adverse effects, so I'll keep taking them. I think I will also start taking a B-Complex vitamin.

It's hard to say if any of these things have been successful, because I'm still stuck with seb derm. However, I guess any information to minimize the symptoms might help others, at least gain an improvement.

What works for my seb derm is:

*Cetaphil moisturiser and liquid cleanser
    *Nizoral cream applyed once a day
    *Using a humidfyer at night when the humidity is below 30%.
    *Washing my eyelids twice a day, just with water (for blepheritis).

*Which all help, using the nizoral has cut down how much i use it but my number one treatment is still Hydrocortisone 1% about once a fortnight, which prevents my seb derm flairing up.

I've stopped it many times but without it things get nasty pretty fast. And with it (and the other treatments) the worst my seb derm gets now is that my skin stills looks pretty normal, until i touch it or try to put foundation on and my skin all flakes off like dandruff. It's a huge different to before when my skin was very red and scaly and stung like crazy. Mostly now there is just the tinest bit of flakiness left, mainly around my eyebrows or chin.

*I'm in the same boat with fish oil/flaxseed oil, my seb derm has seemed better while on it but could be due to the other treatments. Like you said though taking it can't hurt and is good for lot's of reasons anyway.

*Some of my rosacea treatments also seem to help my seb derm, including rosez (metrocream) once a day, and antihistamines and singulair.

nizoral cream applied twice a day has helped with the itchiness, and flakiness has cleared up

I also have SD and rosace. What has seemed to help most with the SD is washing my face with either t-gel or nizoral shampoo. leave it on your face in the shower for a few minutes and then rinse. Ever since starting this my face has been so much better

Candida diet
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

Xolegel has really helped me a lot.

where can one find/buy the Xolegel? I've looked for it on the online pharmacies and cant find it.

Thanks for your help.

I got mine at CVS drug store. You have to have a prescription to get it. I haven't used it in a couple of days because I wanted to try a new moisturizer and was afraid to wear both at the same time. I can tell that my forhead is already getting more dry patches. I guess this is something I will have to use forever.

It has really helped me a lot so I recommend that you try it.

Good Luck,

Bonnie

Applying jojoba oil for a few minutes before washing my face with a Cetaphil-like wash. Then using Ketoconazole cream.

Exfoliating with a gentle facial brush in the evening means the following day I am flake free. And the less flakes I have, the less red my face is overall.

Plus diet, and avoiding my food triggers, also plays an important aspect for me.

And plenty of sunlight.