Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarithromycin

Default Clarithromycin

I suffer from cosmetic intolerance along with flushing and extreme sensitivity and was wondering if antibiotics would be of benefit to me. I asked the dermatology registrar at the Royal Free about this and she said no as my problem isn't caused by infection (I despair at their lack of knowledge).

I visited my GP last week after reading up on the benefits of macrolide antibiotics for cosmetic intolerance with the hope of getting prescribed some clarithromycin to kick start my face into some kind of recovery. It is absolutely driving me mad at the moment and I am desperate for my face to tolerate some kind of sun protection. However he completely dismissed my request and instead prescribed me some Telfast (fexofenadine) to take instead of my daily Loratidine. I haven't noticed any improvement with this.

I've recently had flu, which has exacerbated the problem in my right cheek, which is red and flaring a lot of the time, contrasting with my paler left cheek. It looks stupid and is painful and of course my face wont tolerate make-up (I use powder foundation on special occasions only). Ibuprofen helps to an extent, but I'm worried about the damage I am doing by taking these so frequently.

I am so desperate I am thinking about ordering some Clarithromycin online. Do you think this is a good idea? How long would it be before I saw any results and how long should I take them for?

Betty. X

Hi Betty,

Is it possible to find another doctor? I don't like getting meds online as there is no FDA regulation so who knows exactly what you're getting. I tend to be bit cautious.

For example, Dr. Crouch prescribes the macrolide antibiotics. Perhaps you can find someone closer to you to do the same.

Or, if all else fails, you can print out all the info you have on it and ask your current dr to read it and maybe that will sway their mind.

I know how frustrating this all is. If only our doctors were more open to info they are ignorant about we could get more help.

Good luck!

All the best,
    Melissa

Hey Melissa

I know what you mean, I would never recommend that somebody purchase drugs online, but I am getting a little desperate. My right cheek is flaring like anything and I almost wish they were both the same as it looks so silly (actually I am grateful my left cheek is not too bad as I can sleep on that side).

I don't think I could really change my GP, as far as I am aware there is no guarantee that somebody else would be any better, GP's are pretty ignorant when it comes to Rosacea I think. My GP is actually good in that he prescribed Moxonidine when Clonidine wasn't suiting me, even though he had no knowledge of it's use for flushing. Some poor flushers can't even get a prescription for Clonidine from their GP. He didn't seem to want to hear anything at all about the prospect of me getting any antibiotics and I actually left the surgery feeling completely deflated.

So, god knows what I'm letting myself in for, but I've ordered two weeks supply to start with of Clarithromycin from here http://www.inhousepharmacy.co.uk I'll have to see how it goes.

Regarding seeing a private derm, I just don't have the money at the moment. The little money I do have is going on vet bills (thankfully I had insurance, the total cost is up to 3500 so far and she's still not fixed , but I've had to pay out a fair bit which I haven't had reimbursed from the insurance company yet)

My right cheek is red and throbbing every morning when I wake up and my eyes are completely unpredictable. This is what happened out of the blue a month or so ago after using the eye cream I had used for a year without a problem. It hurt like mad.

*sigh*

Anyway, hope you're doing well.

Betty. X

Hi Betty,

I know what you mean about sometimes just wishing you would flush on both sides because one cheek flushing looks even weirder.

I'm so sorry for all your stresses and discomfort. The undereye reaction looks so painful. It's gone now, right? Sometimes I will react also out of the blue to something I had used in the past without any problem. There is no predictability with this disease. That is one of the hardest parts for me.

I really hope your dog is getting better. I know how you feel. I would spend any amount of money that I had for my Billy and Oreo. Nothing can compare to their suffering and you feel so helpless! I am once again sending out good vibes and positive thoughts for your dog! And for you of course!!

Hang in there Betty. You're in my thoughts.

Hugs,
    Melissa

Hey Melissa

Thank-you again for the good thoughts!

Yes, my eyes are improved, but still unpredicatable. I miss eye make-up alot. It's so annoying when a topical turns on you all of a sudden.

I've been having luck with sandwich bags filled with cold tap water placed on my cheeks this week (as explained in another post) and so far it has been wonderful in calming down my right cheek, so much so that the last few days, I have been waking up with a calm right cheek and am not disturbed during the night with pain. Brilliant! I hope this continues to work.

God, it's funny, all the money I've spent on expensive creams etc, and so far aqueous cream and sandwich bags have been my biggest successes! I'll still give the clarithromycin a go when it's delivered though.

Betty. x

Oh gosh Betty, that pic of your eyes looks SOOOO painful, Im gald they are feeling better.
    Sandwich bags, I would do product endorsements for them if they asked, best invention on the planet. I keep 2, in my fridge, with damp face cloths in them to use when it gets painful, when one warms up I pop it back in and get the other one out, by the time that one gets warm the other on is cold again.
    Good luck with the clarithromycin, keep us posted on how it goes.

Best wishes,
    Laura

Hey Laura

Yes, my eyes were very sore and what made it worse was I had a big night out planned that evening that I had to cancel.

Wow, I wish I'd tried using sandwich bags on my face before, they're great! I'll join you on the product endorsement. I can keep a few in my bag and fill them as and when they're needed also.

I'll definitely keep everyone informed of my adventures with the online clarithromycin, fingers crossed.

Betty. X

PS. I was reading your post about cystic acne earlier and would have to second the suggestion about a birth control pill being effective. Dianette completely cleared up the horrible cystic acne I had on my chin/jawline.

Does clarithromycin help permanent redness or is it mainly for P&P type rosacea?

It helped me tremendously with both, it was the only oral (other than Accutane) that really amazed me and worked wonders in a short period of time.

My order of Clarithromycin arrived today, 1 week after ordering them.

I'm going to start taking them tomorrow : | I'm a little apprehensive, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Dukecity, how long did you take them for?

Betty. X