Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-RAYS and flushing/ flare ups

Default X-RAYS and flushing/ flare ups

Hi all,

a week and a half ago I had 3 X-rays taken from my neck, after a little car crash. (nothing too serious; went for a little drive with a friend and he didn't saw a big bump in the road and had to push the breaks unexpectedly and I didn't saw it coming and the car was a very oldtimer like convertable, so no safety belts...). Had headaches for some time and the GP ordered some pics.
    I did ask in advance if the X-rays could effect my vascular condition (they never heard of rosacea of course ).
    "No, it is very harmless".
    I should have listened to that little voice inside but didn't want to be a pain in the butt, so went for it anyway. The day after bad redness and burning came up, whereas my face had been quite calm and under controle for a while before. Now it is still feeling like it is burned and it is red and flushes more. I am convinced I somehow have a sunburn-like reaction.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with X-ray or radiation perhaps?

I have probably had more x-rays than anyone around.
    I asked the tec how great is my chance before I start to glow! LOL

The radiation from an x-ray is so minimal...less than you get from the sun in a day, a cinder block, or a bananna.

I would imagine you were stressing about what they might find on the x-ray???

Hi PA dancer,

well, the X-rays were just for controle, nothing was wrong at the end. But ever since my right cheek, the one that was zapped 3 times, is burning and flushing and very red. Totally the opposite from the time before. And this hasn't calmed down yet in the last 2 weeks, so I am a bit confused about it..

but you never had any problems with them? Hope it will pass soon. How many pic did you get you think? nd also from the neck/face area?

thanks, Natalja

I swear I have a collection of x-rays from over the years of every part of my body.
    I actually have another one coming up in July. an MRI of the Brain.

I never noticed any probs having the x-rays.

i'm pretty sure there's no link between your flushes and x-ray examinations... just coincidence...

I think it is possible that the x-rays caused a flair, i mean the reason skin goes red with sunburn is that the uv radiation damages cells, which causes the body to rush blood to the area. Surely x-rays could also damage cells in the skin?

I had a bad reaction when my physio used an ultrasound to increase the circulation in my jaw muscles, it made my skin and flushing much much worse, due i assume, to the increased blood flow.

I had a brain MRI last year which had no effect on my skin or flushing, but then again that doesn't involve any ionising radiation like x-rays.

Thanks guys (and girls)

Still having a very red and flushed right cheek. It had been pale and undercontrole all of the last year, so I'm really puzzled here. Called the hospital and spoke to a radiation doc and he can't think of any reason why the X-ray could have caused this flare up. It is on a different wave length then light, so that can't have been the reason, there is no UV with X-ray and you get more radiation when you walk a day in the mountains then with the 3 pics I have had taken.. Then, I never walk in the mountains, so can't judge if that would have caused a flare as well of course

But I feel that it did trigger something off. Like froggygirl says, perhaps something with the cell damage?

thnaks for replying and thinking with me guys!

Natalja

cell damage with x-ray scans is no big issue - you'll do much more damage to cells when being out in the sun for some time.

the reason why there's still a risk with x-rays is that the kind of radiation used isn't absorbed at all, so it can directly hit the dna part of a cell (which is usually well protected)...

but since you said you've suffered headaches afterwards - isn't that a reasonable explanation for flushing? and maybe that's due to a tense neck? somewhat similar to a slight and temporary whiplash? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiplash_%28medicine%29)?

Hello Nat

Knowing how sensitive your rosacea is, then I agree with Kate that it was most probably the x-rays that have disturbed things. Unusual but when you are so hypersensitive then as you know anything can trigger it off, as you have found out in the past with certain drugs, foods and even that hair dye you tried. Hopefully it will all settle down again and just be wary if you need x-rays again – hopefully not but just avoid lifts from guys driving convertibles

Hope your neck is better.

Peter

Haha, that is so funny Pete, thanks for that advice.
    I'll see my derm tomorrow and discuss it with him, my skin is still very red and flushed unfortunately...

speak soon,
    Natalja