Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis laser

Default Genesis laser

Okay,

Turns out my optometrists' office is integrated with skincare facilities, and they have a Genesis laser.

I don't know anything about the Genesis laser. I did a cursory search, of course, and it looks like Dr. Evil thought highly of it, and that some people have had good results.

Here's why I'm considering it:
    • It's only $250 per session
    • It's close to home; about a ten-minute drive across town
    • She said she spends an entire hour on the procedure, and I will receive a lot of pulses

Here's why I'm hesitant:
    • She didn't sound all that knowledgeable about it
    • The price sounds almost too good to be true
    • My rosacea is under control, I just need a maintenance txt; if this messes me up in any way I will be pissed (see avatar)

Questions:
    • Does the price sound reasonable for this type of procedure?
    • I know from IPL experience that a skilled operator makes all the difference; I'd be a little disappointed if I didn't get results, but more importantly: Could an inexperienced operator mess me up with this thing? I've had nothing but success with IPL (as opposed to the horror stories I've seen) and I want to keep it that way
    • I know that Genesis is a true laser, and differs from IPL. Wouldn't this greatly increase the magnitude of potential damage caused by an inexperienced operator?
    • Has anyone else been treated at Heritage Eye in Stockton, CA?

I'm sure I will end up going back to talk to her, but maybe some feedback here can help me ask better questions.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Actually, the previous link was for the optometry office.

This is the laser link: Heritage Skin and Laser
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Since your Rosacea is under control, what are you getting genesis treatment for exactly?

Permanent redness?
    Flushing?

Permanent redness. I need a maintenance treatment. They're supposed to be done annually.

If I'd continued on M2 I wouldn't need this, but I'm pale and pink again.

Granted, my rosacea is not that bad (anymore).

Part of my need to do this comes from my perfectionism. The other part comes from the progressive nature of the disease. If I wait until things are horrible again before acting, I'm an idiot and I deserve what I get.

Although I'd be proactive in any case, I have some worsening symptoms which keep me on my toes, and remind me that my enemy is down but not out.

For example, I never had seb derm problems until last fall. Last fall I had it so bad on my chin that I couldn't grow a goatee. It disappeared during the summer, but it's back now and I'm getting it in a larger area, up to the side of my lips and along my nose.

I also get occasional hives along one side of my neck. I always get concurrent redness and blotchiness on my face when this happens. This started last summer.

So, I'm very aware of the disease, and I know I have to stay one step ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    Since your Rosacea is under control, what are you getting genesis treatment for exactly?

Permanent redness?
    Flushing?
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Is the Genesis the 1064 Yag? If so, then I think it's supposed to address flushing, and spider veins more than permanent redness.

But $250 for an hour's treatment seems very reasonable in comparison with $600.

This user has been banned from this forum

Laser Genesis is a protocol with Yag laser trying to stimulate collagen for 'non ablative skin rejuvenation'.

To my knowledge there aren't studies of this protocol on veins flushing and permanent redness. I've undergone one treatment, and some other people here had several sessions with not impressive results.

My advice: save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehorizon
    Laser Genesis is a protocol with Yag laser trying to stimulate collagen for 'non ablative skin rejuvenation'.

To my knowledge there aren't studies of this protocol on veins flushing and permanent redness. I've undergone one treatment, and some other people here had several sessions with not impressive results.

My advice: save your money.
    Cool, thanks for the heads-up. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Unfortunately Dr. Lee, who I was also considering, charges $750 per treatment, which I can't afford.

I might spend the $250 just to see what happens. It's killing me thinking that I might have a treatment option just around the corner. I almost have to do it.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

This user has been banned from this forum

iVan tried 5 sessions with Genesis protocol, you may want to look at his posts:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...er=asc&start=0

I've developed some further information.

Apparently they use a Cutera Xeo machine for spider veins and redness.

She said they also have an IPL machine, but they use it for sun damage (I'm not clear on what the difference between perm. redness and sun damage is.)

However, their IPL stands for "Intelligent Pulsed Light". I'm pretty sure this is a knockoff of Dr. Bitter's "Intense Pulsed Light", a phrase which he has trademarked. I had to ask specifically about this; since everyone refers to it as "IPL", most people would have assumed it was "Intense Pulsed Light". I've no idea what the difference is, if any.

Anyway, I'm going in Monday for a consultation and test patch. She told me the consultation is about an hour long and that she will answer all my questions.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this, so I'll document it with photos. My complexion's been unusually bad the past week or so; I think the stress of school is manifesting itself.

I'm going to get this treatment, and then start isotretinoin immediately afterward.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

I had a consultation today.

I almost had the full treatment today, as a matter of fact. I said I'd be ready to have it done today and to my surprise she agreed; but then I mentioned that I'd been on isotretinoin until ~May. She decided to only do a test spot since I'd been off less than 6 months.

I think she's probably good with the machine, but it was difficult to get technical information from her.

Barring problems with my test spot, I'll have a full treatment on October 2nd.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER