Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Big Happy Hello from PA Dancer

Default A Big Happy Hello from PA Dancer

05/15/2007

Hey Everyone! I am a newbie to the Rosacea forum. I joined about a week or so ago, and have been trying to find time to organize my thoughts and post my hello to all of you.

I have Rosacea and as you all do…I hate it! But I accept the fact that I have it and I live with it. But I still hate it.
    : )

I can remember what I now think was my first flush. I was living in San Diego, CA and getting ready to go out to a company picnic. I wanted to look oh-so-pretty, so I put on a dress and sandals, and started to get ready to go out.

I had this bottle of moisturizer, Oil of Olay in the little pink bottle. I put some on my face and by the time I was ready to leave the house, my cheek looked like someone had just punched me. (Needless to say I won’t ever by that product line ever again.)

I thought maybe an allergic reaction…but I had used it before with no problems.

I can’t really remember the time between then and moving back to Pennsylvania, but I know once I moved back here…Hello Rosacea!

I went to my family doctor for a physical and asked why my cheeks were always red. They set up an appointment and off to the Dermatologist I went.

The first appointment, I remember leaving there crying. She said it looked like Rosacea, but we had to clear up the dry skin. I left there with a few sample tubes of Aclovate and a follow up appointment…And some of those horrible pamphlets showing the stages of Rosacea, including the bulbous nose. Eeek!

Wow! From what I can remember that Aclovate was great stuff! It had fixed my problems. My cheeks were just about back to normal…just a little red. But hey…maybe the redness was just because it was winter.

So to my follow up I go. I sit in the paper covered chair and the dermatologist comes in.
    She takes one look at me and says “You have Rosacea” while explaining how she can see little veins in my upper cheeks just below my eyes. She gives me Noritate samples and tells me to come back in a few months.

I didn’t want this Noritate! I wanted more of that Aclovate stuff. I didn’t know what it was, I just knew my cheeks weren’t dry.

You see, if the doctors would stop treating you like you were a number at a drive-thru and actually sit down and tell you what the heck is going on with your skin, all of this wouldn’t have been so horrible and would have saved me a lot of tears.

I only WISH I could have found a forum like this years ago!
    The support here is amazing and I have learned more about Rosacea here than anywhere else.

To continue with my story.

After about a year of these doctors rushing me in and rushing me out of the office….god forbid I forgot my list of questions to rattle off in five minutes while I somewhat had their attention…I didn’t feel the Noritate was doing anything. They never told me it wouldn’t get rid of the redness. They never told me what this “chicken skin” is on my cheeks. (Thanks to this forum I can lovingly call them P&P’s)

So no more quack doctors for me. Now you see, I wouldn’t have felt this way only if they had sit down for a few minutes and explained what was going on.

I stopped going to the dermatologist.

On top of the facial Rosacea, I have ocular rosacea AND ACNE! Ahhhh! And no guidance to deal with all of this.

The acne was the worst of my problems at the time. And me with my sensitive skin am AFRAID of everything! But I needed to get rid of these monsters on my face.

You all are going to think I am the poster child of What Not To Do When You Have Rosacea.

At first, my daily routine for my face was wake up, wipe face with hot water. Done.

At night I shower with yellow dial soap. Done.

Little did I know.

So getting back to the acne.
    I first tried Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Foam Cleanser Salicylic Acid. (salicylic acid…isn’t this the same stuff that removes warts?)

After a few weeks of discouragement, I ran into my friend the pharmacist. He explained the differences in acne treatment. Salicylic acid dries. Benzoyl Peroxide dries and kills the bacteria.

So overlooking my fear of something new, I buy Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment. I think I had it in my medicine cabinet for a week or two before I worked up enough nerve to try it. And Holy Smokes! It worked!!!

I would like to thank the people at the acne forum for being like this forum with the group support.

I would just like to say that my acne was caused by stress that I didn’t even realized I had. Once that stress was gone…the acne has been behaving itself. (knock on wood)

Back to the Rosacea.

So I still been left untreated by doctors until this week. I need to think all of you for getting me back to the doctor. Here I am thinking all this time that there is no help.

I had some pretty bad flare ups over the past few months, which got me searching the internet on Rosacea and I find all of you.

My cheeks are red all the time and flake like crazy. My so called chicken skin cheeks. It reminds me of when sunburn blisters and peels, but once that skin flakes off, it does it again. Geezz…how much skin am I going to lose before I get down to my cheek bones. (joke)

My rosacea flares up once the weather gets cold. Last summer I thought it was gone.
    My acne was gone why not the rosacea. It was all stress. It’s gone.

HAHA says the rosacea once September and October roll around. It’s now May, and my cheeks are still red…but I have hope for the summer.

I have been on a better routine with my skin for the past few months.

In the morning, I wash my face with warm water only with a cotton wash cloth. I have to scrub my eye lids because of the Ocular Rosacea, but I make sure I don’t rub my cheeks. When the Ocular Rosacea was really bad, I used diluted baby shampoo and a QTip and did my lid scrubs. Things are good with my eyes now. I’m careful about keeping them clean since that eye infection. (my eye lid looked like someone stuffed a golf underneath it.)

Then I moisturize the heck out of my cheeks with Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. It doesn’t last very long…but hey, it’s not making my face break out, and I don’t feel greasy.

At night I shower using Dove Shampoo and Conditioner and Dove Sensitive skin bar soap occasionally on my face. I wash my face with a cotton wash cloth making small circles and scrubbing the eyelids well.

When I wear makeup, which is about 3-4 times per month, I use all Almay products. And here is where you all will yell at me.
    I remove it with soap and water. Dial yellow antibacterial soap. I know this is a no-no but I feel it gets my face really clean.

Getting back to my dermatologist appointment. I called over a week ago and I can’t get into until July 3rd, unless I want to see one of those attending physicians. I feel I really want to see the dermatologist this time. I got a first appointment of the day so I am the first one in. But still…I have to wait until July.

Well here is what I did. I love technology.
    I sat down and wrote my dermatologist a letter and told her everything I was doing and described what was going on with my face.

I got my digital camera and took over 50 pictures before and after exercising and said in the letter that I would like to try Finacea.

I dropped off the letter and CD of pictures first thing in the morning and had a call to come and pick up some samples to hold me over until my appointment.

I am a ballroom/latin/swing dancer and try to exercise every night. I am trying to work out and work up a sweat to lose a few pounds, but my face wasn’t liking it too much.

After last nights work out, I blot my face down with very cold water and applied a very small amount of Finacea.

I’ve got to say, after one application, I was very impressed with it. But man did it burn for a few minutes until it dried!

I kept an eye on my face to see if I was flaring up from it…and so far so good.

I don’t want to use it everyday (fear of something new) so I decided on every other day.
    I’ll let you know how I am doing, and I will try to post a picture when I can figure out how.

As for all of you who have posted pictures and have expressed over all sadness with your Rosacea. I understand completely.

I always say that you have no one in this life that you need to impress more than yourself, and I try to live by that. But I did start to notice my insecurity with my face at times.

You are all beautiful.

Thank you so much for all participating in this forum. It really means a lot to someone reading ….and believe me…I read and read and read this forum.

Thank you again.

Hi PA Dancer,

Welcome to the Forum!!
    That was a great post and you're a wonderful addition!!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi,

thanks for sharing your story.

I think the key is to stay positive. There is a lot that can be done to control and improve this condition.

I often think of people with far worse conditions and try and put it in perspective.... although this is hard when I have to face the world with bumpy red skin.

best wishes
    Moomy
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

the damn flaky redness. it never ends

Ok....I am going to attempt to do this....let's hope it works...or not...EEK!
    I can't believe I am going to post my pic.
    The first one was taken at the beginning of May and shows my dreaded flakeyness.
    the second one is my friend rosacea after a workout and before using finacea. This pic and all of you are the reason I am being more proactive in dealing with my rosacea.
    You all are great!
    And thank you,
    Ann

LOL! dont'cha' just love a good high quality camera.
    AHHHH!
    LOL

Brave, PA Dancer!!
    It's great being able to put a face to the person!!

The rosacea can't take away the fact that you are pretty!

Melissa

Hi PA dancer,
    your skin is a bit like mine, (although I think mine may be over a larger area.) IPL is helping with my redness but I still get the p&p's and a bit of seb derm.

I was wondering how long it was since your first symptoms, and how finacea was working out?? (I must get round to trying that soon.)

best wishes
    Moom
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

Hi PA Dancer,
    So brave! I still have a pic on my camera from March when I was probably at my worst. So far I don't have the courage to post it.

Are you still using Dial soap? I know what mean by getting that clean feeling. I've been using Cetaphil anti bacterial soap. It's a lot gentler than a deoderant soap, but it still cleans really well. There is a liquid Cetaphil for oily skin too.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawohl
    The rosacea can't take away the fact that you are pretty!

Melissa
    Thank you so much.
    I have noticed that about everyone here who has posted a pic.
    Everyone is a looker!
    We may have rosacea....but we are all hotties!