Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ears burning, anyone?

Default Ears burning, anyone?

Today I'm having a strange reaction that I'm wondering how to classify. All afternoon my left ear, esp. the top, has had a burning sensation, and it's bright red. My left cheek, which is normally rosy red with a couple of P&Ps, also burns a bit, but nowhere near as hot and painful as my ear. My husband just got home from work and checked the ear for any broken skin (I was thinking an insect bite of some sort) but didn't find any.

I'm wondering if it's a weird flare from a lunch of total junk food (McDonald's burgers & fries with a couple of Snickers bars - I know, I know . . .). I haven't eaten these things in quite a while, and maybe something in it is a trigger.

I was diagnosed with rosacea just over 3 weeks ago, so I'm still trying to determine all my triggers. This is just weird 'cuz of the ear involvement. I took some Benadryl to cover my bases.

Has anyone had this reaction with their ears? TIA

OK, what gives? 3.5 hours ago I took Benadryl. Now the left ear is improved (color normal, moderate burning), but the right ear (same areas - top and outside edges) is beet red and burning/itching. This is post-Benadryl! I had a healthy, normal dinner with known trigger-free elements (big salad with scant Parmesan cheese and about 3 ozs. of tuna, followed by fresh cantalope and a peppermint candy).

Has anyone had this happen to them? **whine whine whine**

Argghhh. burning red ears are my daily nemesis. I'll be watching this thead closely for any hopeful hints.
    Click here if you wanna see mine :evil:
    http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=7281

Hi, iVan, and thanks for replying. Man, if you have this reaction every day, I don't know how you keep sane. My ears aren't as all-over red as yours - just all along the outside rim and the back. All evening they've been flaring and subsiding. I just took more Benadryl - this time a quick-dissolve strip - and already the burning is down a bit. Hopefully this is an allergic reaction, but I don't know what they're reacting to. (BTW, Benadryl strips in vanilla mint taste AWFUL.)

You know, for months I had rosacea symptoms and put off going to the derm. to get an official diagnosis. Now that I've done that, it's like the floodgates are open!

Next week at the derm. I'll mention this and hope for some insight. Now I'm going to bed before the Benadryl wears off. Nighty-night.

I am still sane.......barely, but still hangin in there.
    Here is a link to a site with a long long thread about people
    with red ears. Haybe something you might find useful in there.

http://www.peterbe.com/One-hot-ear

when my ears burn, i find that cooling them with lots of cold water and cold air helps.
    I just keep my ears wet and sit next to a fan, a window, the a/c or anything that has cold wind blowing from it, and usually after about 10-15 minutes the burning and redness go away (might take longer for the cheek).
    i don't know what could be done to prevent this, though...
    if you find anything that helps, please let us know!

My ears are the worst bit at times. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes one cheek flushes, sometimes both do, sometimes one ear gets red and at times everything does.

I also favour the getting them wet and fanning my ears.

I would say it could be the junk food. Nowadys if I want a treat I go to the health food shop and buy some dried fruit, etc. I gave up on the real bad stuff as the payback is just too large.

Ears are especially sensitive, I guess. Pale faced folk are prone to red ears from time to time.

My ears can be burning red and my cheeks flushless, but the reverse seldom happens.

Ears are easily overlooked when applying sun creams; over the years damage may accrue..

Even with the oil I'm taking my ears burn everyday - there 99% of the time a deep red, it's uncomfortable, irritating, it gives me a headache where it feels like my head could explode!! Not to mention really embarrassing! The joke ‘Ooh someone must be talking about you’ never gets old where I work!

I wish I had a magic cure..!!

Wow, I had no idea the ears are involved in rosacea. I've had rosacea symptoms for months and months, but never had these ear issues 'til the other day. I really thought/wished it was an allergic reaction (to what I don't know), but since then each day I've had the burning on the rims/back of both ears in varying intensities throughout the day. I'm incredibly prone to ear infections, though, so I've got to steer clear of cool breezes and compresses - the resulting moisture gives rise to lovely bacteria.

Maybe it is some sort of sugar reaction - I did eat a lot of sugar the day this started, but that's nothing new; I usually eat tons of sugars and starches. Maybe I've reached a saturation point!

This is something I'll definitely bring up with the derm. at my appt. next week, but I'm not holding my breath for answers. It's only my second appt. with this doc, and I'm not sure how in tune she is with all of rosacea's complexities.