Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401(k) help needed

Default 401(k) help needed

Hi everyone
    I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but I have a 410(K) with a company I no longer work at. Its a teeny amount of money, but is money I really, REALLY, need right now. Can I get it out? How do I do this? I have researched it online but just get info about rolling it over to an IRA and similar stuff and am just more confused now. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Laura

Laura - There's a 10% penalty and then taxes will be usually taken out also at the time of withdrawal, so figure on netting roughly 65% of the gross amount.

Default 401 K help needed

You can just request the money from your old company. If you are younger that 59 1/2 there is a 10% penalty on it and you pay ordinary income tax on it.

So do I just contact my former employer and talk to them? (of course they are not there today) Or do I go through the financial institution thats listed on my statement (tried to do that online but their site keeps crashing my computer) Forgive my ignorance about this, its a little new to me, and thanks for your response.

laura

Sharon, oopps, we must have been posting at the same time.
    Are there forms to fill out, red tape to wade through, or can it be transeferd directly to my bank account (did have direct deposit with this company)

When you contact your old company, they should send you the forms, you fill them out and submit then to your old company and they should act as your intermediary. If they are really slow or very reluctant, you can contact the company where your funds are invested and work through them.

Thanks,
    I figured this wouldn't be an easy get it over with a phone call process, even though its MY money.

Laura

The forms are pretty simple and it shouldn't take them longer than a week to get them out to you. If after 2 phone calls and you get no reponse, go directly to the investment fund or company. Good Luck!!!!

Default about 90 to 120 days

When I quit one job about thirteen years ago I needed the money in my 401 K and it took about three to four months to get the funds which as sharon says is about 65% of the total money. The cool thing was my company had matched dollar for dollar so I got my money back and a little bit of the company matched money. Not many companies are matching dollar for dollar any more. If you can roll it over into another 401 K there is no penalty but you have to keep adding money to the fund to keep it active. I wish I had rolled it over thirteen years ago but like you I needed the money then.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Realistically it shouldn't take very long for you to recover your money -- I would think 10 to 14 days once they get your request..